Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Solar Panels from Costco

I just found, and ordered, two 100 watt Grape Solar panels from Costco.com. $160 each including shipping. They are aprox 27"x40" and probably will fit in a lot of places on an RV roof. I found two good locations on my new 2014 FC 20'.

Grape Solar 100 Watt Polycrystalline PV Solar Panel

Grape Solar is a company in Oregon, and the panels apparently come from China. About the same warrantee as everyone else, and by the time it runs out, the company will be long gone. There is a lot of that in the panel industry these days, unfortunately.

Shipping for other panels I have looked at has been a killer, often over $100 to have one or two delivered to you, so the Costco deal is even sweeter. If you are not happy with them, they can be returned to any Costco store.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Which charge controller and mounting system will you use?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I just finished my solar installation using a AM Solar kit. The Costco panels have good performance spec's but seem kind of wide. I would have had trouble with them for my situation. You'll have to come up with a mounting method, and you'll need other hardware such as a charge controller, a low resistance circuit breaker between that and the battery and a solar cutoff switch, wire and so forth. Have fun, it a great DIY project!
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Finished installing my AM Solar system. I did a Signature 100/25/6 Pro System. Used four 100 watt panels on my roof -- which basically means there is no real estate left for anything else. The install was very clean. Interestingly, putting the panels up was the easy part. Running heavy cabling down to the roof (used the plumbing vent...very easy), but getting all the other wiring -- battery, control wiring, charge controller, remote, etc. took a full day. Also installed two Lifeline GPL-24T's to replace the stock Interstates. Hopefully, I'm through with electrical for awhile!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Finished installing my AM Solar system. I did a Signature 100/25/6 Pro System. Used four 100 watt panels on my roof -- which basically means there is no real estate left for anything else. The install was very clean. Interestingly, putting the panels up was the easy part. Running heavy cabling down to the roof (used the plumbing vent...very easy), but getting all the other wiring -- battery, control wiring, charge controller, remote, etc. took a full day. Also installed two Lifeline GPL-24T's to replace the stock Interstates. Hopefully, I'm through with electrical for awhile!
Do you have a thread or some posts with photos and a step by step walk through of your installation? I have seen many, but can't remember seeing yours.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Rookie

2007 23' Safari SE
Helen , Georgia
I have always purchased batteries and other RV related stuff from costco. I love their we will always take it back return policy. This is pretty exciting that they offer solar panels. Has anyone seen them in stores?
Part of the Fedex Retiree Club (37 years)
martyhardy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Amazon appears to have the same 100 Watt panel for $179 plus shipping and, in my case, 10% sales tax. Costco deal is much better.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have been doing solar systems since 1995 so I am very familiar with the parts and issues. I do volunteer solar work for the Forest Service.

I will be using a Blue Sky MPPT charge controller and the built in pre wiring on my 2014 FC.

I will be developing the mounting system when the panels arrive. I did a test fit with cardboard of the same dimensions.

When I have things apart, I will also put in a Tri Metric battery monitoring system.

I will try to take photos as the project develops. Right now all is in the shipping process and I am camping in Glacier National Park.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
idroba--It looks like you could be spending more on the charge controller than the two panels, depending on which Blue Sky you use. I don't understand why there is such a range in price for these controllers. I never mastered electronics but did manage to install (with the aid of Lewster) a PD9260 converter/charger and a Trimetric monitor (tip: use welding cable). Now my batteries won't get fried on shore power when the Airstream is in storage.

I'm not sure I want to go the full solar route, at least for the camping I do. First, I don't have enough "real estate" on my 19' roof for more than one panel. Plus, I boondock where running my 2000i Honda generator is not a problem. My camp neighbors at Quartzsite spend 6 months there and live totally off solar. But I have a 120 VAC television whereas they have 12 VDC sets. Running the generator for an hour or so each evening usually charges me up for the night.

(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
Old 06-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Why not try one if these: SunRunner Signature 25/6/PRO Core | SunRunner™ Signature System Cores

It has everything you need to set up your system and has a very nice full function battery monitor also....so no need for a Tri-Metric.

PLUS!...........AM Solar has the nicest mounting system in the business!!! 40mm Rocker Foot Mount Set | for Solar Panels

WHy re-invent the wheel????
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
LISTEN to Lewster -- he knows what he's talking about. As I posted above, AM Solar is a terrific company to work with. They had my system to me in 7 days from the time I ordered it. And, trust me, mounting the panels on the roof was the easiest part...depending on which system you buy they will supply a combiner box. You just wire each panel into this idiot proof box, then run a cable to your controller, install the remote (I already had a Tri-Metric, which I don't really need now), wire the controller to your battery(ies) along with a couple of other wires (one measures batt. temp), the other monitors how much current you take out and need to replace, and a bunch of other stuff. My trailer is in its shed, but I'll be taking it out over the 4th and expect to see my batteries charge using the sun! (Thanks, Lew, for your help with this!)
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 06-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
idroba--It looks like you could be spending more on the charge controller than the two panels, depending on which Blue Sky you use. I don't understand why there is such a range in price for these controllers.
(snip)
This is the MPPT charge controller I am using. $210, not too terribly bad.

Blue Sky Solar Boost SB2512iX - 25 Amp 12 Volt MPPT Charge Controller
Old 06-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You could add a very nice battery monitor with 500 amp shunt to that controller with the iPN remote. Makes a very nice package. This is the #1 controller that I install for solar arrays up to 400 watts. Very versatile and totally adjustable with the remote unit.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
....and about an hour ago I pulled my Airstream out of its shed for the first time since installing the four solar panels. Green lights flashing and I am now making my own electricity. Taking SilverLeaf out for the 4th of July -- long weekend, and will take some photos of the install and post them just in case someone else decides to go the AM Solar route. 400W of solar is going to make a difference in how I use my trailer.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 02-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
It's so cool to read all about everyone's solar experiences and installs. The solar panels on our 89 Excella were top-of-the-line in their day. It's wonderful to see how much less expensive and better everything is now. We still love the ones on our 89 even if they are not nearly as powerful as modern ones. It's just amazing that Airstream was so cutting edge environmentally even way back then. We will put some on our 86 eventually.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
I too did a lot of research before buying Grape Solar panels. Beware of Amazon's Grape Solar panels. Some are not actually made by GS and are knockoffs. I also looked at Home Depot and Costco, but in the end AM solar had the best price, all of the "fixins'" to get the panels tied together and attached to the roof, offered free shipping, and had excellent customer service.
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
When selecting panels, I would think efficiency is the key metric for those with limited space. However that does not necessarily translate to best value. Many use the price per watt as a general measure of value. Warranties and quality of construction will determine the useful life of your investment.

Personally, I have not gone solar on my Safari, but I have on my house. I did a lot of research on the topic. There are abundant resources at various government sites, to help you assess the potential for your application. I personally like the NREL.GOV site. Do a search on PVWATTS and it will reveal a calculator that will allow you to estimate your power output based on factors such as geography, season, mounting angle, etceteras. This stuff can be easily applied to RVs as well as homes.

As advances in design and efficiency make panels more productive, that does not necessarily translate to bang per buck. In my case, I bought my retirement home (5 years ahead of retirement) with an eye on installing solar. I have a massive south facing roof line which is angled optimally for my latitude thus reducing the mounting costs. Since I had plenty of space to work with I opted for a medium efficiency panel in the 18% range that is USA made and relatively inexpensive. These days, newer technology is boosting efficiency up as high as 40% or more. See this Forbes article for recent information on this topic:

As Solar Panel Efficiencies Keep Improving, It's Time To Adopt Some New Metrics - Forbes

I use Enphase microinverters for simplicity of operation and the added benefit of real time monitoring of individual panels for warranty and performance purposes (I have a 7.8KW system with 30 panels). At some point, I may apply this knowledge to my AS but I am content for now in having tethered camping options.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
FYI--As of today the Costco GS 100 Watt panels are now under $140.00 each.

(Bud Light commercial)

Old 03-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Here's my issue with the Grape solar panels - they're polycrystalline. In AZ, heat is the major problem, and monocrystalline panels are generally rated to stand up to higher heat. I'm liking the Renogy panels from Amazon for being mono, getting good reviews, and being about the same price.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
GS-100 and GS-135 panels from AM Solar are mono-crystalline.