Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Milpitas , California
Solar panels for my airstream 23' international

Just purchased my Airstream in December and in need of solar panels for boondocking on a construction site for my architectural office. I have brought my Airstream back to the dealership in Fairfield, ca and they are servicing it to upgrade with 200watts of solar panel.it will cost approximately 2800.00 for the installed system.

Anyone have this done before? Interested to hear from others with solar panels and how well it works to charge batteries and run the airstream. I believe it will charge overhead day and replenish the batteries as I use them.

Thoughts?

Thanks all

Roly Poly ( family has named out airstream)
Gary W Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Sounds very pricey...but I'm sure the labor charge is the killer. I put in a 400W set myself using an AM Solar kit, also installed two Lifeline AGM batteries (a MUST if you go solar, and they run $300 each). It is not that difficult to do this project yourself if you have just modest handyman skills -- and you can follow directions! The AM Solar set-up comes with everything you need, including cable ties -- with everything perfectly marked as to what it is and where it goes. Check out their website. You will love the solar whichever way you go!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Milpitas , California
Thanks for the input. I didn't want to tackle the install in my new airstream for I was not sure of the leaks that could happen on the roof. Installing and drilling holes for the panels scares me of course. Also I was not sure about the wiring and how does it all connect up to the batteries and all.

I know it was pricey but for peace of mind I guess it keep the factory warranty in tack.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I hope Lewster doesn't read your post. He is the world expert in solar and when I mentioned drilling holes in my roof he had an apoplectic seizure. The panels are mounted using 3M VHB double sided tape. Yup, tape! That's what AM Solar sends (with the mounting plates that secure the panels). After a whole summer towing with solar panels, I can confirm what Lewster said. That tape does NOT let loose! So, there are no holes in the roof, thus no leaks. They send you a plastic box...and you run a wire from each panel into this single box...and then one cable from that box into the trailer....I ran the wire down the vent pipe, but it's also easy to use the fridge vent. No holes, no how, no way! And, believe it or not, your Airstream is set up so you can get behind almost everything to run that one cable from the controller to your batteries. It took me basically one whole day to do the entire solar installation and I took my time and was very careful. Oh, this will have zero impact on your factory warranty.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
We installed a 200 watt solar system on our 23' very recently. Have boondocked with it four times for three to four nights each and it has fully recharged each day. The conditions each time were campsites with partial sun, 40 degrees overnight, and the months were low-sun (December - March). Other considerations are that we converted all lights to LED's, and that we dress warmly rather than run the heater all the time. We also installed two 6v golf cart batteries, so we have significantly more stored power (about 30%) to start with. We are totally pleased with this system so far.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Sounds very pricey...but I'm sure the labor charge is the killer. I put in a 400W set myself using an AM Solar kit, also installed two Lifeline AGM batteries (a MUST if you go solar, and they run $300 each). (snip)

Sorry to disagree, there is nothing about a solar system which requires AGM batteries. Good old flooded cell batteries will work just fine. I am on my 19th year of working with solar systems and have yet to own an AGM battery. I use a pair of $90 each Costco golf cart batteries in both of my trailers. Nothing wrong with AGM type batteries of course, but certainly they are not a MUST.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Just another data point - 300w of panels from AM Solar, batteries upgraded to 2 Group 27 AGMs. Probably a 3rd would be a perfect configuration. I have about 50% of lights converted to LED. We use power conservation practices, but don't go overboard. We'll use the heater to stay comfortable, modest lighting in the evening, run the TV on inverter for up to a couple hours a day. The only time when the panels could not completely fill the batteries each day was in January, with low sun trajectory and overcast. After about 3 days I had to run the generator for a couple of hours to get us to a state of charge that would get us hrough the next night.

Spring through fall, the batteries are filled within a few hours, and, all electrical load during the day (fans, refrigerator, etc) is satisfied by the panels. Thus sunset arrives with batteries topped off.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The relatively new 100 watt panels from AM solar will fit on either side of the air conditioner on the 25' or longer wide body Airstreams. The panels themselves are 20.7" wide and 40.8" long. The installation panel support feet require an overall length of 44.175" with the panel.

We were able to mount four in line on each side our Classic model 30.

Get a piece of cardboard and cut it to the overall size and see how to mount it on the roof of the shorter narrow trailers. If one gets creative in positioning the panels, more panels than one might expect could be installed.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Milpitas , California
Thank all for the great information. I think I am in good shape with the solar decision to upgrade. I'm not sure if the dealership will upgrade the batteries but I doubt it. All the lights in my Airstream are LED and so that is a good thing.

I will look to conserve during the January month time to make sure we can get thru it. We do have a gas generator also so the Yamaha generator will be brought with us during that time.

I see I am in company of owners who know a lot about solar and how to install them. I am concerned about the double tape over time for no tape is that strong. Is everyone using tape for install?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Milpitas , California
Swift, they are installing 200wats on mine and on a 23' I am sure there are limits to the locations from the standpoint of the airstream layout.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
You might qualify for the federal solar 30% tax credit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
I too have a 23' international and have been thinking about a solar set up. When I looked up on the roof there doesn't seem to be much space up there except for the area on the back side between the conditioner and the fantastic fan. So I've been considering the Zamp Solar 200 watt portable. Does anyone have any experience with these. The big downside is someone walking off with it. I'm semi handy so could probably do my own install, but just curious what the forum solar gurus recommend. Lewster you are the the AS expert, any thoughts?
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Milpitas , California
Yes it looks like that is the only location but I will let you know when I pick up my airstream in a week. The portable solution was also a choice but to have to setup and lockdown the system each tome should be too much work. Permanent installation is the best solution. I know it is a higher cost than I wanted to spend and all seems like it could be installs on our own but I figure to have them install it saves me the time and labor to work it out. Besides it is a business expense also. The Airstream is a architectural trailer that I can bring to the job site and it doubles As a recreational vehicle also. So I figure write off the cost of all of it.

Does this really qualify for a tax credit?
Old 04-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
We just put two 100 watt panels on our 23'. One runs lengthwise above the rear of the awning, the other across the top behind the A/C, and both are barely visible from the ground. There is room for a third lengthwise on the street side. (If you do choose to go with 6v golf cart batteries the battery box will have to be made taller.)
Old 04-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Milpitas , California
Thanks for the placement on your 23'. I see I will need to increase the ht. of the battery compartment in the future. Do they make a taller unit for the battery. I will have to research this.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
The taller battery box is only required for the taller 6v batteries, not for AGM's. We had a dealer do the job which involved c-channel for the lift, re-attaching the original lid, and painting it to match the Airstream gray. Looks stock. Between that and the extra cost for the batteries it will cost a few hundred dollars -- so it is only worth it if you want about 230 amps vs. about 170 for 12v.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I have a 1964 22 ft Safari. I got my solar from AM Solar also. I got my 4 lifeline 6v batteries from the factory in L.A. However I did not mount the panels on my roof. I ran an umbilical out to the front frame rail with a 175 amp Pico connector so I can park in the shade, plug and run cable out to a sunny spot and set up my panels. No added wind resistance or weight on top of the trailer, and the trailer stays cooler in the shade. It sure looks better than unsightly solar panels on the roof of my vintage trailer also.

my 2 cents
-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I like that plan a bunch, except that I'm too lazy to drag the panel(s) out. Hey, what's a Pico connector, and would it work with 4ga wire as a battery in -line disconnect?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Never mind - found the pico connectors!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Milpitas , California
The panels will be mounted with brackets on the roof and they are not using tape for mounting. They will be sealing the roof penetrations where the screws mount with recommended silicon sealers.

The solar kit by Zampi solar is make specifically for airstream trailers.

It will be mounted with aerodynamics in mind.