Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2002, 08:37 PM   #1

solar panels

Has anyone tried to put solar panels on a Bambi? Can we even get enough in place to produce enough amps to make a difference? what is the best source for the panels? We live in Jacksonville, Florida.
Old 03-02-2002, 05:55 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Solar

There are many sources of RV solar do a Google search using 'rv solar', also try www.rvsolarelectric.com

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 11:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

solar panels

I have heard of some people having a portable panel that they set up on a stand when camping. Might work if you don't have room to mount one.
VAC
https://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 11:32 PM   #4
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Good source for solar info...

I do a lot of research on renewable resources. One magazine I really like is Home Power. They have a section called "Guerrilla Solar" where they showcase various setups including taking a small wind turbine with you!

I also have a Bambi and have been looking into solar.

Uni-Solar has a flexible panel that might work nice on the curved roof area.

My biggest concern is finding the most non-evasive way to mount them. What do you think?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
velcro. the stuff works for all kinds of temporary applications. Especially that newer industrial strength version.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 03:03 AM   #6
Rik
2 Rivet Member

RV Solar Panels

It really depends on what you want the solar panel(s) to do. If you expect them to supply all your power, it would take quite a few panels, even if you use the newest/most efficient. But if you just want the batteries kept charged -- that's where they're really great. I had a LeSharo that came with a solar panel installed. The batteries were ALWAYS fully charged -- really nice. I have a 20-watt panel I'm installing on top of the A/C on my Argosy motorhome, so I don't have to make holes in the aluminum top of the coach. I also have an RV panel specifically made to keep batteries charged, without the need for a charge controller -- "plug 'n play", easy to hook up. But I want more power for the same panel size, since I have three batteries and some always-on electronics in the coach, so I will be using a charge controller. LMK if you would like more info on this subject. Solar power is great, especially in places where the solar insolation is high -- like Florida!
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 10:23 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Rik,
I would like to learn more about about your setup for charging batteries, I plan to install a panel for just that purpose to keep the batteries charged but am unsure as to how/where to hook the wiring and how much power needed, my plan is to mount the panel on top of the lp bottle cover shroud. I'm thinking of going with just a dc plugin in the trailer and securing the panel with velcro and see how that works before making it permanent.

p.s. Solar is the way to go.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 07:47 AM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
John,

I have had some experience with solar and must say in this case more is better. I had a full solar/inverter setup on my 77 31 ft Soverign and it was wonderful!

Once you get hooked on free power and not hearing the HUM of the converter you will never look at boondocking the same again.

The idea of a battery keeper panel on the LP Bottle cover is good, but you need to consider your amps per hour rating. This is the amount of power the panel will produce in FULL sun. Based on where you store your rig and the position relative to the sun, you may not get the benifit you are looking for.

From a hookup standpoint if you put the panel on the bottle cover I would go to camping world and just get a new pigtail end, follow the wiring diagram in the owners manual and hook up to the charge line and ground from your tow vehicle inputs. Then you have a unit that you can eaisly mount and dismount without any holes for wires.

Just my 2 cents worth.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote