Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ward , Colorado
Solar Panels...

We've just purchased a 2006 Safari FB SE and are considering adding a solar panel to the roof. Being new to this, what are some of your opinions?
mamu2cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

If you're serious about boondocking, then be sure to get a MPPT (maximum power point tracking) charge controller. It will continually monitor & adjust voltage and current levels to maximize power coming off of the panels.
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
rochester , Minnesota
this forum has many ideas on the solar panels....after digesting many we did purchase a 50 watt simply to keep the batteries up while parked at our residence.....it of course doesnt help much when boone docking...(sun, useage, shadows, etc.) looking at useage numbers and wattage need to provide more than a trickle charge becomes expensive to say the least.....look b-4 your leap...good luck..jack
billiards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
solar

just recently installed solar on my safari....two 95 watt panels on the roof....used GO POwer stuff...it is great....solar charge controller...automatic transfer switch and 2000w pure sine wave inverter ( a must)... this coupled with a yamah 3000 watt super quite generator i am set for the wild blue yonder.... and upgraded battery to an AGM 150 am hour unit
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
When parked under trees, solar gives very little power, so the choice is open spot needing a/c or a shady area. Solar is very limited, boondocking with an energy efficient trailer might work but for a MH that sucks power is impossible.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

My 25 Safari came with a solar panel when I purchased it, sorry I don't know the specs but there is a controller and a small panel on the roof. This is the first RV I have had with a solar panel.
It is very worthwhile. It keeps the battery charged. I am into my fourth year with agm batteries. I think part of the reason is that the solar charger takes such good care of my batteries.
In warm weather and full sun, I have enough power to boondock. The variable here is the furnace, the fan motor is a power hog. Little or no use of the furnace means the solar charger can carry the load.
Even in cooler wheather with some shade or partly cloudy conditions, I get enough solar charge to reduce the run time of the generator necessary to fully charge the batteries.
Last, The controller of the solar charger gives me a much better idea of the charge state of the batteries than does the stock charge indicator in my Airstream. If I am charging the stock charge indicator puts the batteries in the green. The solar controller tells me the battery volts and the degree of charge even when I am charging with shore power.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Just bought the 5 watt solar panel from Harbor Freight. Does anyone think this will be OK for just keeping the the battery topped up between trips, has any one tried it? Also I thinking off adding a second battery, only had the one in my Sovereign.
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote