Old 09-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
Victoria , BC
Hi Members,

I am the supplier for solar to Airstream. We have a wide array of different solar modules that we can provide. Typically Airstream installs our 50 watt, but you can have them order and install any of our solutions. I would be happy to help you design the right solar solution. We have an online solar calculator that's available if you visit However, I'm here to help you answer questions.

Mark Spilsbury
Account Manager
Mobile Power Systems
Go Power! North America
Carmanah Technologies Corp.

Toll-Free Tel: 1-800-667-6527 Ext. 8306
Toll-Free Fax: 1-866-607-6527
Direct Tel: +1 (250) 412-8306
Please visit us at:
Please visit Go Power! at

we put solar to work™

AirSolarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #30
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Originally Posted by joecolao View Post
We have gone as long as 5 1/2 months without electric using solar. We power a laptop computer, 2 lcd tv, vcr, dvd, satellite rec. and dome, vacuum cleaner, microwave and more.
Our converter has been disconnected for about 2 years. Sometimes we will run our rear tv, dvd, vcr with a tiny plug in type inverter instead of the 1750 watt inverter.
I think if you do the math and the long term numbers solar is actually cheaper.
When you buy a generator you still need a gas can and funnel and gas and maintenace.
When you buy solar, your batteries are always up - with a good charge controller you lose less water too. I topped off water to my batteries in 2006 before our trip to Alaska. I had not added water for 3 1/2 years before that.
In my mind solar provides more independance, less maintenance, higher quality charging, improved battery life, achieves a higher capacity charge in the batteries and I don't have to chain it up or drag it out or drag my tow vehicle alternator while trying to charge a couple of 27 series that are dead.
I think if one were to take into account all the hidden costs and inconviences of a generator - solar might be a better option.
The only thing I really cannot run for any legnth of time is the AC. It won't run that or resistive loads ie. electric heaters for any length of time
We use a perk pot for coffee, my wife insists on using the toaster instead of the stove top toaster and her hair blower.
I guess it is all a compromise.

Joe, great post!

I to have been solar independent for the past 7 months.

I use 3 135Watt panels into 6 group 29s. I also run a compressor freezer 24/7 and an Ice maker when needed.

While I also have a Honda 2000, I love the ease and silence of solar. As your excellent post mentions "It's not for everyone"

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote