Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Solar panel power drain when not producing

Hi everyone,
I just wired 120 watt Overland solar portable panels into my Blue Sky controler that controls 2- 100 watt panels on the roof. The roof system was purchased from AM solar. They said the overland system was compatible to be wired directly to the positive side of the solar controller. The system works fine and boosts the charge capacity of my 2 roof panels due to the directional flexibility of the portable system. My solar controller monitor reports the added amperage properly and the battery voltage in real time. I bypassed the Overland charge controller to utilize the Blue Sky controller so the system would be integrated. I have noticed that if I leave the portable system hooked up to the controller at night it seems to take the batteries from 12.8 v to 12.1 v. Is this a drain back and should the BS controller have drain back diodes to prevent the voltage drop. Are the diodes on the portable panel? Or the bigger question is. Am I on the right track with my thinking. Normally my batteries would be at a higher voltage after several nights of boon docking. Any insight would be appreciated.
Thank,
Ken
pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
You say that you noticed that when the portable panels are connected, the battery voltage drops from 12.8 to 12.1 overnight. Do you know what happens when the portable panels are not connected?

There's no reason the panels (roof or external or both) should affect the battery voltage during the night. It's unlikely that the BlueSky controller is responsible for draining your batteries. Can you measure the battery current at night to see what your typical load is during boondocking? Are you confident in the health of your battery system?
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Thanks Al,
The batteries check out. And the solar seems to be working, so I am looking for a phantom draw. Thanks for your help,
Ken
Old 06-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Depending on the model of trailer, the fastest path to find phantom draws is to at least narrow it down to a circuit. Pull fuses out of the fuse panel one at a time, and then use your multi-meter to measure the amps drawn by each circuit...repeat as needed. If you want to simplify that process you could buy a "ESI 301M Fuse Buddy Mini DMM Adapter" on Amazon.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Thanks for the advise. After checking the batteries, which are holding a charge with a load tester and the blue sky remote readout. With everything off wxcept for CO monitor which uses.3amps, everything seems to be working. But I will but the fuse monitor thing-a-jig. Sounds fun.
Ken
Old 06-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #6
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
...chasing amps; found a DC current meter

...have a Fluke multimeter; but AC current only; so found an Extech DC current only for about $70.00...to find out where the coulombs are going...and just to check periodically what is going in or out of the batteries from all those wires ie. inverter, charger, auto, solar,....or a bit tight but can check the panel circuits as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 7.32.40 AM.png
Views:	51
Size:	623.2 KB
ID:	313699  
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you suspect the charge controller, grab a multimeter and see if it sucks current when it is powered down. The panels themselves will have zero impact on parasitic loading. They all go to zero in the dark..... If for some weird reason the new panels create an issue, your charge controller is what needs replacing. It's broke ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:20 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you suspect the charge controller, grab a multimeter and see if it sucks current when it is powered down. The panels themselves will have zero impact on parasitic loading. They all go to zero in the dark..... If for some weird reason the new panels create an issue, your charge controller is what needs replacing. It's broke ...

Bob
Thanks Bob,
Called AM Solar and the Charge Controller is working properly. I think the problem is operator error and using more power from the DC at night than I suspected. Thanks everyone for your input.
Ken