Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Solar Panel Placement

I'm in thinking about it stage of installing solar myself on my 25' FC FB and have a question or two for those that have done an install such as this. Thinking about putting four 100watt panels. My roof has two FFs , a skylight and one AC. No problem I can see putting two in the rear, one on each side. But to put two more on, looks like I need to place them close to the front of the AS. This allows access to the AC and gets panels away from the vents. I'm concerned about the front installs, since I want to use the VHB 4950 with sikaflex/dicor method without using screws in the skin. Is it ok to have them close to the front of AS as far as wind load/lift?

Second ? is, I plan to swap out my batteries with AGMs as a first step Looking in the battery box, I see a set of heavy wires running in the cabin on both sides. Looking at my wiring diagram for the FC, one set is obviously the main power to the right side (curb) under right twin bed where power stuff is. Also on that side is the converter and power panel. What I'm a little puzzled about is the other set of cables that lead to the left side (street) of the cabin. I assume it's for the 1000watt inverter but my inverter panel is on the right side. I've been a little under the weather so haven't taken out bed stuff to see what is on the left side. Anyone know if the inverter is on this side and control wiring passes under/through to the panel in the kitchen?

thanks.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Colonel,

I woud definiet use the 3M-VHB/ SikaFlex routine and NO SCREWS thru your roof. Simply not necessary!!!! You should have panty of space on your roof for the 400 watts of panels. I would definitely use the panels from AM Solar for this job. A bit more expensive but they do a great job.

Also, the wiring for your inverter (4AWG) and central DC system (6AWG) feed in fro opposite sides of your battery box. I would retain both, as the bolt sizes for the Lifelines will accommodate both of the PLUS the voltage kit from the BMV-712.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
I'm in thinking about it stage of installing solar myself on my 25' FC FB and have a question or two for those that have done an install such as this. Thinking about putting four 100watt panels. My roof has two FFs , a skylight and one AC. No problem I can see putting two in the rear, one on each side. But to put two more on, looks like I need to place them close to the front of the AS. This allows access to the AC and gets panels away from the vents. I'm concerned about the front installs, since I want to use the VHB 4950 with sikaflex/dicor method without using screws in the skin. Is it ok to have them close to the front of AS as far as wind load/lift?

Second ? is, I plan to swap out my batteries with AGMs as a first step Looking in the battery box, I see a set of heavy wires running in the cabin on both sides. Looking at my wiring diagram for the FC, one set is obviously the main power to the right side (curb) under right twin bed where power stuff is. Also on that side is the converter and power panel. What I'm a little puzzled about is the other set of cables that lead to the left side (street) of the cabin. I assume it's for the 1000watt inverter but my inverter panel is on the right side. I've been a little under the weather so haven't taken out bed stuff to see what is on the left side. Anyone know if the inverter is on this side and control wiring passes under/through to the panel in the kitchen?

thanks.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Not that Lewster needs me to vouch for him, but +1 on the 3m/Sikaflex routine being fine, regardless of panel position. My four panels are rock solid, including the two in the front. I used the same method to support my surecall omni antennas to the roof with a short piece of 1-1/2" aluminum angle. Also rock solid.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Another plus one, for no screws per Lewster. Also, I documented my install, it’s a long thread but great advice from folks on the forum and may help with your install.

Good luck and ask as many questions as you need.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...-a-162955.html
Old 02-24-2018, 04:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I think you guys are too trusting of the VHB tape, but if it holds, go for it.
The long term temperature specs have me worried. See the pdf link below.

I was not that trusting and I used the VHB tape and 2 screws in each foot.
My install is on a MH but it should be similar for you.

I aligned my panels so the feet were on as many ribs and cross members that I could manage. This helps with the screw strength and with snow weight.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/67100O/3mtm-vhb-tapes.pdf
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post

thanks.
Currently, you should have two sets of large cables that run from the battery box to the trailer. One leaves the street side of the box and one runs from the curb side of the battery box. Both end up on the curb side when they enter the trailer. The 6 AWG wire is for powering the trailer/converter and the 4 AWG goes directly to the 1,000 watt inverter. Hope this helps. While upgrading, you should increase the size of the cables going from battery to battery to 1/0.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote