Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Edwards , Colorado
Solar panel blown away!

After just 1,650 miles, my dealer installed solar panel blew off my 16 ft. International while traveling at approx. 60 mph. No real damage to my Airstream, just two brackets left on roof and two holes where brackets once were. And two wires. No sign of the panel

Anyone else had this problem?
Old 10-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wilto View Post
After just 1,650 miles, my dealer installed solar panel blew off my 16 ft. International while traveling at approx. 60 mph. No real damage to my Airstream, just two brackets left on roof and two holes where brackets once were. And two wires. No sign of the panel

That's a new one on me. But if I see it by the side of the road, I'll pick it up and save it for you.

But seriously, where exactly on the roof was it? I suspect that the reason mine is behind the air conditioner is to ensure that the slipstream can't get underneath of it to tear it loose. Without seeing a picture, I'll also guess that the two holes are in back and the two brackets are in front because the panel came loose from the front brackets first, allowing the front edge to lift and pry the rear brackets loose.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
By the sounds of it, the brackets were screwed down instead of being bonded to the skin with the 3M tape that folks recommend. Once the front screws ripped through the skin by upward pressure, the whole thing got lifted and ripped off. Funny that one set of brackets is still there, but the weak point in the back must have been the screws into the panel. I can't recall anyone reporting a loss when using the double sided tape for mounting.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
By the sounds of it, the brackets were screwed down instead of being bonded to the skin with the 3M tape that folks recommend. Once the front screws ripped through the skin by upward pressure, the whole thing got lifted and ripped off. Funny that one set of brackets is still there, but the weak point in the back must have been the screws into the panel. I can't recall anyone reporting a loss when using the double sided tape for mounting.
or it could have been the other way around? Front bracket still on and back ripped off? Can't tell from the original post.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Could the brackets have been screwed into the skin, and not the ribs?

I hope your dealer will make it right for you, could have been very nasty had the panel struck another vehicle.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Sounds like some pretty shoddy work by your dealer. I hope they are capable of making it right for you!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Edwards , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That's a new one on me. But if I see it by the side of the road, I'll pick it up and save it for you.

But seriously, where exactly on the roof was it? I suspect that the reason mine is behind the air conditioner is to ensure that the slipstream can't get underneath of it to tear it loose. Without seeing a picture, I'll also guess that the two holes are in back and the two brackets are in front because the panel came loose from the front brackets first, allowing the front edge to lift and pry the rear brackets loose.
The two upper brackets are still intact. The holes are where the lower brackets pulled out.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Edwards , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Sounds like some pretty shoddy work by your dealer. I hope they are capable of making it right for you!

Waiting to hear from the service manager. Had hoped there would be an immediate "don't worry, we'll make it right" but that hasn't happened yet.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
So, was there no adhesive used at all? Only drilled holes? Poor workmanship if that's the case.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Edwards , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
I like the idea of using double sided tape so there's no penetration. It appears they used the standard mounting brackets supplied by Zamp, with just one bolt per bracket. Upper side of the panel could not have been fastened securely which would have put all the pressure on the lower brackets. Just my guess. Hope the dealer has read its Vision Statement and Commitment to "provide timely, relevant and accurate communication".
Old 10-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Another issue with solar system illiterate installers. Many Airstream dealers are clueless on proper wire sizes and installation techniques to preclude this type of event and subsequent damages.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Edwards , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Another issue with solar system illiterate installers. Many Airstream dealers are clueless on proper wire sizes and installation techniques to preclude this type of event and subsequent damages.
Other than the panel installation on the roof, the rest of the installation was clean and worked flawlessly.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I saw one solar panel come off. The owner was able to recover it and have it re-installed.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wilto View Post

Sounds to me by the limited info in the initial post, (screws or rivets) just the holes left says, either the rivet holes are to large or the screws were not tight enough. Sounds like shoddy workmanship for sure.

I used 3/16 rivets, 4 brackets per panel w/each bracket having 2 rivets in the the panel and 2 rivets to the roof with sealer, AOK.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Two words... Rivet nuts.

http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/nu...ded-Inserts%29

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Allow me to present a different scenario…………

After literally thousands of installations of RV solar charging systems, AM Solar has NEVER LOST A PANEL!!!!!!!!! This includes both the screw-down installations on textured and or rubber roofing substrates AND the bonded installations for metal roofs (like Airstreams) and smooth fiberglass roofing found on large motorhomes.

I have been installing systems for AM Solar for 8 years and have never had a panel loosen, let alone be blown completely off the roof.

I think your dealer and their techs have quite a bit to learn about the proper technique of installing solar panels on RV roofs in general, and Airstreams in particular!!!

I have yet to use a single screw in any of my Airstream installations, and rarely even penetrate the roof at all! 3M VHB tape is a very powerful bonding agent used primarily in the automotive industry to attach body parts like roofs and other panels. It has an extremely high shear strength which makes it perfect for bonding solar panels too the proper RV roofing substrates. Proper cleaning and surface preparation is essential to assure a complete bond with the use of VHB tape

This is followed in my installations by an application of SikaFlex 221 as both a second bonding agent and a waterproofing seal to prevent moisture from potentially attacking the VHB bond.

I think it would be of great benefit to both you and your Airstream to find a better qualified installer for your solar panels…..one who will not simply put more unnecessary holes in your roof !!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #17
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I was waiting for Lew to weigh in. Your dealer needs to replace and reinstall the roof panels using tried and true installation methods as Lew and AMSolar advocate. Hope our dealer comes through for you.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Edwards , Colorado
Dealer is asking for guidance from "regional manager". It appears to me the two upper brackets were not properly attached to the panel and the lower two brackets simply couldn't withstand the wind pressure and pulled out of the roof. Brackets appear to be the standard brackets provided by Zamp.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I'll post the dealer's response when received.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
The installers may have over torqued the screws and in so doing left them with little to hold on to. If you install with screws it's important to not use a power tool to tighten them in. That's the problem with attaching anything to an Airstream, the skin is pretty thin and sheet metal screws have little to grip and if the hole gets stripped there's nothing. To me, Rivnuts are the best answer to a really secure installation since the glue on double sided tape tends to lose adhesion when it gets hot - and even the newer white roofs get hot.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
To me, Rivnuts are the best answer to a really secure installation since the glue on double sided tape tends to lose adhesion when it gets hot - and even the newer white roofs get hot.
Aircraft manufacturers such as Boeing use 3M Scotchweld tape to hold their airplanes together; I imagine it would work just as well on an Airstream.