Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Solar Ele on the roof or remote?

I understand that AS now installs wiring for solar, even if the solar option is not chosen. So, solar panels can be added later. When installed later, should they be installed on the roof, using AS's wiring or separate from the body of the AS?
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The factory pre-installed #10 wire is just barely adequate for the two 53 watt panels that Airstream installs on the roof.

We were able to install five 100 watt panels on the roof a 23D and eight on the roof of a 31' Classic. Nine would have fitted okay.

The wire sizes were significantly larger from the roof to the solar charge controller like #2 wire.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Your choice. Dozens of threads discussing this subject.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Here is how we are installing five 100 watt AM Solar panels on the roof of the 23D. We replaced the original Winegard fold down TV antenna for the Winegard Rayzar (curb side front). We have replaced the factory skylight with a frosted lenses skylight from Maxim. The two Fantastic fans were replaced with two Maxxfan model 00-07000K units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23D front two solar panels.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	248149   Click image for larger version

Name:	23D rear 3 solar panels.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	248150  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 09-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Here is how we are installing five 100 watt AM Solar panels on the roof of the 23D. We replaced the original Winegard fold down TV antenna for the Winegard Rayzar (curb side front). We have replaced the factory skylight with a frosted lenses skylight from Maxim. The two Fantastic fans were replaced with two Maxxfan model 00-07000K units.
So, how did you connect it to the ele system? You couldn't have used the existing wire because it would be in adequate.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Tilt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Can the panels be tilted toward the sun?
Old 09-15-2015, 10:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
All AM Solar panel kits come with rocker mounting feet that allow for tilting in either direction. If you intend to use the tilting feature, you have to give a bit of thought about the panel placement to avoid shading one panel when you tilt another.

When connecting the panels to your battery system, heavy cabling (up to 2AWG) feeds the roof array into the solar charge controller and then directly to your batteries. The only place 10 AWG cabling is used is to connect the individual panels to a combiner box.

Switz is totally correct in that Airstream' pre wire is completely inadequate for any solar array in excess of 100 watts. Connecting the solar charge controller directly to the batteries is also much more efficient and shows less voltage drop than using the forward bus bars, as Airstream does.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:57 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
I took delivery of a 2016 25 FC in June. My dealer also has a significant AS restoring business and knows all the trailers inside and out, they also install solar, as an option, on many of their customers new and restored AS.

I had TWO Samlex 100 watt panels installed. They too said they would not use the AS pre wire, too small, and they pulled their own wiring to specifications of the load.

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to electrical designs and specifications but I am glad I listened to the Airforum experts since I am comfortable my dealer was not jerking my chain.

Thanks forum experts! We listen:-)

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Wire Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
All AM Solar panel kits come with rocker mounting feet that allow for tilting in either direction. If you intend to use the tilting feature, you have to give a bit of thought about the panel placement to avoid shading one panel when you tilt another.

When connecting the panels to your battery system, heavy cabling (up to 2AWG) feeds the roof array into the solar charge controller and then directly to your batteries. The only place 10 AWG cabling is used is to connect the individual panels to a combiner box.

Switz is totally correct in that Airstream' pre wire is completely inadequate for any solar array in excess of 100 watts. Connecting the solar charge controller directly to the batteries is also much more efficient and shows less voltage drop than using the forward bus bars, as Airstream does.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
So, one wire is routed on the outside of the shell down to the batteries?

Jer
Old 09-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Outside ?????? NEVER!!!!

All wiring is invisibly run thru the inside of the trailer. The only outside wire is from the front DC bus bars to the exterior battery box, where it is located from the factory.

In the majority of my installations, new batteries, either Lifeline AGM or our new lithium cells are placed inside the trailer, so no external wiring is used.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 09-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Hereford , Arizona
I saw a video of a couple that do a blog of their life on the road in a SOB. They installed 4, 100watt flexible panels that were only about 1/8th an inch thick. Looked really nice only screws were for the wiring not the panels.
BScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I never use screws for my installations. If you search the Forums, I gave posted some direct usage comparisons between hard panels and flex panels.

There are many issues with flex panels that the promoters don't disclose.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 09-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Interesting. The commercial and recreational marine industry has been using flexible panels successfully for over 30 years. Some people here act like they are a new untested undeveloped product. I have several 25 year old flexible panels that still put out almost as good a new. Labels are long time gone and I do not remember what brand they are.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
The photos in post #4 above of the solar panels on the roof of the 23D were pre-wiring as we were still testing the layout. The wiring was completed last week and the solar panel wiring combiner box was to be installed just above the microwave which is above the refrigerator. That is in the free space beside the street side of the air conditioner.

The pair of #2 stranded copper wires come through the roof below the combiner (or junction) box to the solar panel controller located behind the microwave and then continue downward inside the trailer to the solar system isolation switch located in the refrigerator compartment. The solar wires then proceed to the lithium iron phosphate battery located under the "sofa" just in front of the street side wheel well. The Magnum MSH-3012 is located on the other side of the furnace so the leads from it to the battery are about three feet.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Fastening

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScott View Post
I saw a video of a couple that do a blog of their life on the road in a SOB. They installed 4, 100watt flexible panels that were only about 1/8th an inch thick. Looked really nice only screws were for the wiring not the panels.
How were they fastened to the roof?

Jer
Old 09-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You would be well served to get a but of solar education here: http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/cpag...education.html

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 09-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
The wiring that comes with AM solar's kits is great. And I used Lew's advice to upgrade some of the other sections of wiring in my setup. The only thing lacking for me currently is batteries, but I'm going to soon resolve that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-14 20.07.49.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	248221