Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
Solar Controllers...

Can I use two different solar controllers to charge the two batteries in my rig? The controller on the roof is a 30 amp controller. I have an installed solar panel on my roof and I want to add a portable panel that already has it's own controller. Will this cause any problem?

Thanks, John T

clicker187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker187 View Post
Can I use two different solar controllers to charge the two batteries in my rig? The controller on the roof is a 30 amp controller. I have an installed solar panel on my roof and I want to add a portable panel that already has it's own controller. Will this cause any problem?
I hope not...I basically have a similar situation with a 3 stage converter and a 3 stage solar controller... I will be interested to see what the responses are.

I guess I was thinking the two controllers would basically come into synchronization before long - after all, they're both sensing the battery voltage and would come to similar conclusions about the battery states.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
Make sure your charge controllers voltage sensors are attached at the same location to get the most accurate voltage reading possible, this way one controller isn't constantly sensing a different voltage than the other controller therefore being forced to work harder.
alumascoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
As long as each system contains a blocking diode to keep power from one from feeding back to the other, you should be okay. Fortunately most solar charge controllers already contain a blocking diode to prevent current from other charging sources (such as shore power) from flowing the wrong way through the panel and controller.