Old 09-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I will put solar in store mode tonight. Any idea what would be drawing power? To the best of knowledge everything in AS is off.

Thanks
John

Old 09-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I turned solar off and except for the display showing batteries at 80%nothing is on
Again thanks for your assistance

Old 09-16-2014, 05:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I checked the display this morning and it showed the batteries at 80%. The same as when I turned solar system off last night.
So it appears that I have nothing draining the batteries; am I correct in that assumption.
As always thanks for your advice.
John
Old 09-16-2014, 06:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Voltage is a better indicator; if the voltage is the same I would agree that you do not have a drain. The solar system is capable of fully charging your batteries to 100% but the only way I can suggest is to hook up your trailer to AC and use the converter to charge the batteries and see if the indication goes to 100% after a bit. If it does, I would deduce a problem with your solar controller. If it does not, it is your batteries. As others have said, only pay attention to the numbers after you have terminated the charge and the batteries have settled down to rest voltage.
Larry
Old 09-16-2014, 06:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
check the refrigerator. Especially on new ones, apparently there is some kind of dehumidifier that draws current when the fridge is on propane? Empty the refrigerator and turn it OFF.

Microwave? The CLOCK is a phantom draw.
A/C thermostat? That damn thing has a CLOCK too... phantom draw.
Television(s)? - unplug them... how can a remote work if they're totally off?

Any little table top appliances - a toaster, coffee maker, anything like that can also have a clock or timer that draws just a tiny bit of current.

Poo light - the LED by the drain hose hook up... doesn't show during the day but if it's on.

Garage light - easy to leave on... it's under the bed... you won't notice it until the next time you open the compartment door.

Happy hunting.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I just hooked up the AS to our AC. The battery at the time read 12.4 so I will check in an hour to see what the voyage is. It is cloudy at least for the morning so the sun will not be able to work its magic.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

John,

Remember after a couple of hours or so to put the battery back on "Store" for about 20 minutes so that it can get back to equilibrium before you note the voltage. Oh and right now be sure you put the switch on "Use" or you will not be charging your battery from the converter.
Larry
Old 09-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Larry I just checked the display. My bateries read 13.6 and 100% charged. Please explain the purpose of turning the batteries back on store as I have never done that since we purchased the trailer.

thanks
John
Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
From your Owners Manual

BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH

The disconnect switch is used to separate the batteries from the 12-volt distri- bution panel and converter charging system.

When the switch is turned “use” (on) and the trailer is plugged into a 110-volt shoreline, the 12-volt distribution panel will receive power from the converter G and the batteries will be charged through the converter charging system.

When the switch is turned to “store” (off) and the trailer is plugged into a 110-volt shoreline, the 12-volt distribution panel will still receive power from the converter, but the batteries are disconnected from the system. The batteries will not be drained with the switch in the store position. The converter will not charge the batteries with the switch in this position.

The charge in the 12-volt batteries is replenished when towing from the tow vehicle alternator through the 7-way cord. This charge will go to the batteries no matter which position the Battery Disconnect Switch is in.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #24
Rivet Master

What Doug said, plus, in the "Store" position the solar system is still connected to the battery so the batteries will charge, but there are no loads connected except the propane detector in the galley. This is the best way to leave your batteries when you are not using the trailer. John, also, just be sure you looked at the battery voltage and percent charged after it had been in Store for about 20 minutes or after the AC had been disconnected for about 20 minutes. The voltage out of the converter will always be higher than the rest point of the battery. 12.6 is close to fully charged after it has settled. If all of that checks, you are in good shape.
Larry
Old 09-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes, there is no manual switch to turn off the solar charging the batteries, that is the function of the solar controller when the battery is fully charged.

I would add it is important to keep the Battery Disconnect Switch in "STORE" whenever the Airstream is hooked to external power. The "STORE" position will keep the Airstream factory converter/charger connected to the batteries constantly, applying a constant 13.6-13.7 volts to the batteries. That is too high and can damage the batteries over time.

Because we have factory solar (and parked outdoors), it doesn't matter if we have the Battery Disconnect Switch in "STORE" or "USE" when NO external power is applied. In "USE" any phantom loads or limited use of 12v equipment will take power from he batteries, but they will be recharged by the solar. This is a great benefit of a solar system, not to mention boon docking advantages.

I suspect your solar system is operating normally, using the Battery Disconnect switch in the best way. If you can charge the batteries to 12.6-12.7 volts with the solar system it is good, but you must have the Battery Disconnect Switch in "STORE" (no loads) to get a proper reading.

If you cannot charge them to 12.6-12.7 volts with the solar, see if you can charge them to that voltage using the Airstream converter/charger and hooked to external power. You must have the Battery Disconnect Switch in "USE" to charge them with the converter/charger, and you must move the Battery Disconnect Switch to "STORE" for a proper reading.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I went to turn the battery disconnect switch to "Store" however the light stayed red but I do have the AS connected to shore power.

If I disconnect the shore power and turn the battery disconnect switch to "Store" the light goes out. Is this the way it is suppose to work?

John
Old 09-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Yep, it will always stay red if connected to shore power. You have to listen for the click.
Larry
Old 09-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Larry
Thanks

I did hear the click and checked after 20 minutes the battery reading was 12.6. I then disconnected the shore power and will see what it looks like again in 20 minutes.

John