Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Solar Charging two 6V AGM....concerns?

I have a Go Power Solar System with 445W of power that puts out about 25AMPs. I have changed all my lights to LED and am now looking to upgrade my batteries to AGMs to gain some additional AMP hours and a longer discharge rate.

Specifically I have been looking at Lifeline AGM 6V 4CT, wich have 220 AMP hours a piece and wont require me to alter my stock battery box.

My questions is after reading about the difference in discharge rates from 12V to 6V batteries should i consider changing my battery charger as well? If i upgrade to 6V...
mgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
couldn't you just wire the batteries in series to achieve 12 volts ? Sounds like you have more than 1 batt. already so any battery bank with an even number should be capable of 12 volts if wired properly. No personal experience but I've heard AGM's are also able to accept a charge faster than conventional lead/acid, not sure if it's as cost effective as lead/acid but sometimes the extra gain is worth the extra cost if you're limited in ability to collect enough amps fast enough.
alumascoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
For longer life of AGM batteries, you want a charger that you can set to an AGM charging profile. The AGM batteries will be in series for 12V and will charge faster than lead acid.
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
I know I can wire them in series, but I won't gain any significant amperage when I do that. I guess my question is if I wire them in parallel if that will cause any issue with my stock battery charger.
mgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm View Post
I know I can wire them in series, but I won't gain any significant amperage when I do that. I guess my question is if I wire them in parallel if that will cause any issue with my stock battery charger.
If you wire 6V batteries in parallel your output voltage will only be about 6V.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm View Post
You MUST wire them in series. They are 6 volt batteries. You have a 12 volt system in the AS, and a 12 volt converter/charger. Two 6 volt batteries in series will give you the 12 volts you require.

If you connect them in parallel, you will have a 6 volt battery bank hooked to a 12 volt charger and AS system. It will not work. Period.

Don't worry about Amps. When you series the batteries you will double the capacity of the system.

I have been using two 6 volt golf cart stile batteries in series for many years. They simply work better than any other combination for the same money.

A twelve volt battery is simply 6 two volt cells in series (wired internally). A 6 volt battery is simply 3 two volt cells wired in series (again, wired internally).

The advantage of 6 volt golf cart stile batteries is that the cells themselves are larger with more capacity in each cell, and are more rugged in design overall.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote