Old 03-09-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
solar boost 6042, 2000 or other? Ahh!?

Solar Boost 6024 or a Solar Boost 2000

I've been jumping all over the place trying to find a charge controller that will best fit my needs.

I have 6 ARCO panels, which someone made a guess that they were 50 watts a piece. I plan on adding more in the future, if nessesary. I'm not sure if the 2000 can/could handle it. I read a posted by Roadkingmoe in 03, his Ideal setup was a bit different from what I have to work with, and I'm not sure if this would work. 03 was long ago and I bet tecnology has come pretty far. Is there a better controller these days, possibly cheaper, that will suit my needs.
I have the 6 panels on a rack over my rear exhaust fan on my 31'. Right now they are daisy chained together and I have 4ga wire running into my fridge exhaust and over to where the battery bank will be, under my couch.
I plan on installing the max amount of batteries, and running new wire to the panels, as the wire is looking dry rotted.

I plan to live in the AS completely off the grid. I'm broke but I can't afford to waste money on something undersized. I could spend another year reading everything that's out there but I just don't have the time. I'm about to just jump on something and run with it.

I have about 2 weeks before I need to be back in the AS, regardless of condition. AHHH so much to read, and some of this stuff is getting really technical. just look at what bluesky's tech bulletins... WAY beyond me!! I don't want it to be, but I just can't learn that in time.
Blue Sky Energy Inc. | Solar Boost 6024HL

Old 03-09-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
AM solar has a used rv 45d, non mppt, for $125. The price difference is huge but I still just don't know if it can do what's best for what I'm trying to do.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
I'm also looking at the bz 500 and the helitrope 30d
They are all starting to run together.