Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Cedar Park , Texas
Solar and Wind

Is there anyone out there who has used solar and wind power together to power their Airstream? If so, how many watts are you able to generate at the same time?
Bassistross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Try eco-worthy.com... They have a wind generator and solar both running on a single controller.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
Try eco-worthy.com... They have a wind generator and solar both running on a single controller.
For trailer use, there are "toy" wind-power systems that will produce 1amp at 30vDC in a 20mph wind (but only 0.2amps and 12vDC in a 10mph wind from the same unit). The fan blades are about 15 inches in diameter, and they won't even turn unless there's at least an 8mph wind. Cost is only about $50 for something that size— cheap enough to experiment with in case you decide later it's not worth it; at least you wouldn't be out much money. But check the seller's return policy; no matter what model you buy, if it turns out not to be practical for you, it sure would be nice to return it for a refund!

Larger systems produce more power, but have larger blades, cost more, and are more complicated to set up because they have to be mounted higher for both safety and efficiency.

Oh, and small wind-power systems tend to be noisy. Those tall, elegant, silent offshore wind farms bear little resemblance to a small semi-portable model in that regard.

My personal opinion— which like all opinions is worth exactly 2˘— is that unless you LIKE camping in places where it's too windy to extend your awning, you'd be better served by going with a larger solar installation rather than trying to mix solar and wind power.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Chevy chase , Maryland
I'm having my solar maxed out right from the git-go. I'll see where that lands me and report my findings. I thought it would be cool to get a nice turbine like I see on lots of sailboats. I might end up doing that just because I like the idea of 'givin' it to the man'. At home I have a 5kW solar array system that is more than enough to charge my fully electric Nissan Leaf. I dearly love flipping off gas stations as I drive by them at Mach 3.
Urfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Is it difficult to dismount a wind generator in the kind of wind you want it for??
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I have an AirX Marine wind turbine on my offshore sailing yacht. Although it will start producing at 10 mph wind speed, you really need winds of 20 mph to generate 100 watts. It is worthwhile on a cruising yacht in trade winds, but I couldn't imagine it ever being cost effective on a travel trailer unless you remain stationary in a very windy area. It requires a tall sturdy guyed mast, not something easily set up and taken down. The blades are sharp and dangerous. The rooftop solar installation on our Airstream is a much more efficient, quiet and trouble free solution for a travel trailer.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
Your usage makes a big difference.... any high load usage? I go with the max it out school of thought, I have 450Watts that covers most anything in the summer. I go weeks without needing power and that including running the micro as needed.

Remember that flat roof solar panels are very inefficient during a large portion of the year. A few rainy days combined with shorter days and non optimum angles add up fast.

-Dwight
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote