Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Solar Airstream

I saw this beautiful Airstream with the Solar thing going on. This guy has gone all out! I wish he was outside as i took a few pics, i would have loved to talk to him and see it up close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arches to hoover dam kym's pics 429.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	60865  
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
judging from the size of those 16 panels, he is probably close to 1000 watts of solar output. That will charge a lot of batteries!!!

I'm just completing a 200 watt charging system for my service van with a 300 amp/hour battery bank and 2000 watt sine wave inverter. Should be interesting! Will probably add another 200 watts in the Fall.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Picture does not look like AL, where was the rig located? Just curious.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Lew, I'm interested in solar power and especially in the context of airstream trailers but I don't understand much about the numbers. What does 1000 watts of solar output actually mean? What would this guy be using this kind of power for on this airstream for example?

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large

Ac
:d
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson
Picture does not look like AL, where was the rig located? Just curious.
elolson, It was on Alt 89 between Jacob lake and Marble canyon, about 5 miles before you start going up the mountain going to jacob lake. You can't miss it, it's got a nice shine to it. I've got a few nice pics with my other camera.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
Lew, I'm interested in solar power and especially in the context of airstream trailers but I don't understand much about the numbers. What does 1000 watts of solar output actually mean? What would this guy be using this kind of power for on this airstream for example?

Todd, he could run everything but the AC...
Old 05-23-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
the wind resistance must be terrible with all those panels sticking up. Bet they have a hell of a time going under bridges too.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
the wind resistance must be terrible with all those panels sticking up. Bet they have a hell of a time going under bridges too.
Ha!

I'm hoping they've heard of "hinges."
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
In simple terms, the solar panels are the devices that keep your battery bank charged. The more panels (wattage) you have, the more batteries you can charge (amp/hours) and the more electrical capacity you have in your system.

The inverter is the device responsible for changing the 12VDC of the battery bank into 120VAC. There are tons of products out there, and the difficult part is selecting the wheat from the chaff to build a reliable, efficient and quality system that will suit your needs without having to mortgage your kids

Lots of variables have to be decided, like what type of batteries (AGM is the best for solar use), what type of solar charge controller (a few are superior to all the others) whose panels to use (again, efficiency and quality are paramount here) and what type of inverter to use (some inverters draw 4 amps at idle!).

Let me know if you have any specific questions on this stuff.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #11
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Maybe he plugs it into the grid and charges the campgroudn $10/day for electric.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #12

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Quote:
As a qualified installer, Lew can give you the real low down on particulars. If you'd like to see some of the work and parts involved in an installation, there are some pictures in the gallery section of my site:

Gallery Index

We have two more panels to install on our 34" "Stella," but overall, the systems are pretty well in place.

Craig
Old 05-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
In simple terms, the solar panels are the devices that keep your battery bank charged. The more panels (wattage) you have, the more batteries you can charge (amp/hours) and the more electrical capacity you have in your system.

The inverter is the device responsible for changing the 12VDC of the battery bank into 120VAC. There are tons of products out there, and the difficult part is selecting the wheat from the chaff to build a reliable, efficient and quality system that will suit your needs without having to mortgage your kids

Lots of variables have to be decided, like what type of batteries (AGM is the best for solar use), what type of solar charge controller (a few are superior to all the others) whose panels to use (again, efficiency and quality are paramount here) and what type of inverter to use (some inverters draw 4 amps at idle!).

Let me know if you have any specific questions on this stuff.
Lew,

So would I start by selecting the right batteries to meet the demands required of the system and then choose the appropriate panels, inverters, and controllers to match the needs of the batteries. The batteries therefore seem like the primary or most important element of the system --at least I start by choosing the right batteries? Please forgive my lack of knowledge.

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Lew,

So would I start by selecting the right batteries to meet the demands required of the system and then choose the appropriate panels, inverters, and controllers to match the needs of the batteries. The batteries therefore seem like the primary or most important element of the system --at least I start by choosing the right batteries? Please forgive my lack of knowledge.
First, you have to determine your electrical requirements. Add up the amount of watts you use for lights and appliances, fridge and furnace etc., both in 12VDC and 120VAC to get a good idea of your needs. Then multiply by a factor of 2 and you get the battery size.

We have been installing new AM Solar systems with the jumbo Lifeline AGM GPL-6CT 300 amp hour golf cart batteries. These have a huge draw-down capacity, and I'm just finishing the wiring on mine. Can't wait to try them for myself.

Let me know if you need more help to spec a system for your use.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #15

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
We have been installing new AM Solar systems with the jumbo Lifeline AGM GPL-6CT 300 amp hour golf cart batteries.

Let me know if you need more help to spec a system for your use.
I second that emotion. We're using the AM Solar system with Lifeline AGMs as well. Highly recomended.

Craig