Old 02-18-2003, 03:11 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
dienst1 -- Where are you in your solar project? Have you installed/tested/camped with your flexible panels? And if so, what's your assessment? What kind of numbers are you seeing when that SOCAL sun beats down on your panels?
Maurice-- Since I probably won't see a rapid solution to the battery problem, I expect to keep my Grp27s for now, install one large (120W) panel on the longitudinal axis flat mount now with expansion plans to mount another alongside (roadside) perhaps on a tilt mount (it will show, but form follows function). Buy the Honda gen now and go camping. Some time spent learning the vagaries of solar power may help me arrive at a battery bank answer that satisfies me. Thanks to all for the input...much appreciated.
Brian

Old 02-18-2003, 03:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Hey Brian, I guess I got lost and posted it on the wrong thread, but do you have room for 3 KC80 panels up there... 2 will go where a 120 will go, and maybe you'd have room for another on a shorter spot?

That would keep the panel visibility down and get you 240 watts.

Old 02-18-2003, 10:05 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Yeah Maurice, that might work. I'm a little concerned about extra mounting holes,etc. I had the notion that I'd be ltd to three panels and so planned on high watts for each. I've read some on the forum about matching panel size to support locations thus lmting in that manner. I talked w/ a salesman at a solar shop in Bend, OR on the phone today. He was familiar with the components I learned about from you and others. A couple of concerns arose for me; said cable >10g won't fit on controller terminals and loses its V drop protection if stepped down to fit. Also, the panel mounting strategy left me a little cold... basically drill a hole pour some 'siliconesque' goop down it and around. Mount it, screw it and slather it again. The concept offends me...didn't I read somewhere about some pop rivet like objects (Olympics, I think they were called) that made a clean, strong, sealed anchor?
On another note, re space alone, I think I found enough room between my battery compartments below the couch to consider gel batteries. Haven't looked beneath the floor yet to see if adequate support exists. And four gel batteries would likely cost me the arm or the leg. I'm partial to both so will wait and use up my G27s first. Brian
Old 02-19-2003, 09:37 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Sounds like the guy giving you advice doesn't know much about electricity and wiring.

Cabling has resistance along its length. The longer it is, the higher the resistance. The maximum current cable can carry is limited to that which will not overheat it, based on the resistance per foot. However, when you get into longer runs of cable, the amount of voltage dropped across the entire cable may be larger than acceptable, even though the current is well below that which would cause the cable to overheat.

Putting 10 gauge pigtails on the end of larger gauge wire does NOT wipe out your reduction of voltage drop. You have a long run of very low resistance per foot cable and a very very short run of higher resistance per foot cable at the controller end. As long as the pigtail is large enough to prevent overheating at the maximum current, it's fine. Its length is so short that its higher resistance per foot contributes very little to the overall cable resistance.

Using pigtails on larger gauge wire is specifically what Solar Boost recommends. See page 11 of the Solar Boost 2000 Manual.

You don't have to match the panel holes to the trailer ribs. Keep in mind you're going to use supports. Make the supports so that they have good attachment to both the ribs and the panels.

The Olympics may be a good thing, but so is "slathering" when it comes to trailer roofs. Make sure you do it to properly route water both when it's draining off the trailer when parked, as well as when it's being blown back by the wind of the trailer underway. When you use silicone or other sealant, make sure the area it will be applied to is roughed up, and very clean.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:17 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Thanks, Maurice... and thanks for the next six pieces of good info you keep providing. Any doubt that knowledge is power? I think not!
Life is tapping me on the shoulder and I'll be away more than here but will check in on the forum as I can. Stay healthy... I need you!!
Brian
Old 04-09-2016, 12:59 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
los gatos , California
Try AMsolar, I haven't noticed that suggestion. They do have 160w panels, I put two on my AS. Great customer service and are happy to answer any and all questions.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Baldwin Harbor , New York
This thread is 13 years old. I'm pretty sure anyone who posted in it has already completed their installations.

2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote