Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Question So... Do I just leave it on?

The only stupid question is the unasked question, so here we go. We're planning on heading out west to the Badlands this weekend, and this will be our first "REAL" boondocking. So far, everywhere we have been, we've had a minimum of electricity, but not always 30 amps.

I turned on my solar array today, let it equalize, testing it out, and wondering, since I can't find the answer in my literature, do I just leave the system on.

Even if plugged into 30 Amp????

Feeling silly asking, but, I honestly don't know.

If wondering, my setup 3 135W AM Solar Panels + Blue Sky Solar Boost 2512i + 2 (lead acid batts)
Old 07-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, it is just left on. In fact there is no reason that there even needs to be some switch to turn it off.

The solar, the converter/charger and the tow vehicle charge system will play together without any assistance from you at all, and can all be turned on or left on together.

Two asides on that above statement:

1.The original Parallax or Univolt converter/charger single stage unit should be replaced with a newer unit which will play better, or it should be manually managed.

2. The umbilical cord should be disconnected from the Tow Vehicle when not towing, otherwise the solar and the converter/charger will try to include the Tow Vehicle battery in their charging. Likewise, the Tow Vehicle battery will want to discharge into the Airstream if left connected via the umbilical cord. (most, but not all vehicles are wired that way).
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
1.The original Parallax or Univolt converter/charger single stage unit should be replaced with a newer unit which will play better, or it should be manually managed.
I have the PowerMax PM4B-60 already installed.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As a side note, TORKLIFT now has an auxiliary battery box which suspends from the truck frame. See etrailer. Might be an easy way to add some juice per your experience.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote