Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Simultaneous portable solar and generator

Just got a Zamp 160p solar. We'll be without hookups at Acadia in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if I need to disconnect the solar when I turn on the generator for additional charging with the converter when we're using 110 for coffee, microwave or TV. Or can both the solar and converter chargers be active at the same time?

TIA,
Richard
whitegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Nope you don't need to worry about that. It's just like plugging into shore power. When you're plugged into normal shore power your converter and solar are working together in parallel. Same with the generator hooked up.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:48 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Great. One less thing to worry about. 😅
whitegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Nope you don't need to worry about that. It's just like plugging into shore power. When you're plugged into normal shore power your converter and solar are working together in parallel. Same with the generator hooked up.
And there is no risk from the two separate charging systems over-charging the batteries [because they don't "talk" to each other through a central controller]? The OP's Zamp panel is an external device which he connects to the batteries manually, I assume.

Sorry if this is a dumb question . . .

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I talked with Lewster by PM on this subject...but regarding shore power/converter and solar at the same time. He assured me it is not an issue.. Generator/converter and solar should be no different.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I talked with Lewster by PM on this subject...but regarding shore power/converter and solar at the same time. He assured me it is not an issue.. Generator/converter and solar should be no different.
Thanks. Do the external chargers like the Zamp have their own mini-controllers built in, so that they know when to stop sending electricity to the batteries?

Since the AS OEM Parallax chargers do not taper off their charge when the batteries are fully charged -- thus leading to problems as Lewster and others have pointed out -- logically any external charger (whether solar or otherwise) should be designed to taper off their contribution, shouldn't they?

Edit -- Answer, yes the Zamp has its own controller:

http://www.zampsolar.com/product/160...stem-zs-160-p/

FYI $795 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Zamp-solar-ZS.../dp/B00K1LBSUE
Old 08-24-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks. Do the external chargers like the Zamp have their own mini-controllers built in, so that they know when to stop sending electricity to the batteries?

Since the AS OEM Parallax chargers do not taper off their charge when the batteries are fully charged -- thus leading to problems as Lewster and others have pointed out -- logically any external charger (whether solar or otherwise) should be designed to taper off their contribution, shouldn't they?

Edit -- Answer, yes the Zamp has its own controller:

http://www.zampsolar.com/product/160...stem-zs-160-p/

FYI $795 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Zamp-solar-ZS.../dp/B00K1LBSUE
Yes, and I found the Zamp controller to be a pretty good PWM controller. I bypassed it, as I also have a 100 watt panel permanently mounted on the roof. They both are now paralleled to a Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT controller inside the AS. I still have the Zamp controller mounted on the portable unit, with quick connects for use away from the AS.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the feedback, as we are headed in that direction some day.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Simultaneous portable solar and generator

Typically, any quality 3-stage solar charge controller will respond to another outside charging source (like a generator-powered converter) by 'seeing' the batteries as full and will not compete with it.

I see this repeatedly when installing Magnum inverter/ chargers with a solar array and Blue Sky or Victron charge controller.

There seems to be no set of rules that 2 different chargers follow other than when one 'sees' the other charging the batteries, it will back off and not charge until required. It seems to work both ways too.

Lew Farber
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thank you.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
have seen this system have conflict between controllers .
on the freedom hf inverter chrgr when ac is applied to coach with active solar .
the inverter blows fault code as reads 13vdc + at batts
simple solution is to install switch on solar feed to shut solar feed down when a/c applied to coach allowing the faster charge from inverter to take care of batts .
however if rv is not in use the solar charge is pure dc vrs the dirty dc from inverter/ converter chrgr.
the pure dc is healthier for agm batts , flooded don't care .
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestonrv View Post
have seen this system have conflict between controllers .
on the freedom hf inverter chrgr when ac is applied to coach with active solar .
the inverter blows fault code as reads 13vdc + at batts
simple solution is to install switch on solar feed to shut solar feed down when a/c applied to coach allowing the faster charge from inverter to take care of batts .
however if rv is not in use the solar charge is pure dc vrs the dirty dc from inverter/ converter chrgr.
the pure dc is healthier for agm batts , flooded don't care .
Hmmm, sounds like "over-diagnostics" at work. Don't believe it's a problem, but the mfr creating one where one doesn't exist. Your solution fixes that.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Simple solution...... Stay away from Xantrex inverter/chargers and you won't have compatibility problems. :-))

Lew Farber
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote