Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 154
Simultaneous portable solar and generator

Just got a Zamp 160p solar. We'll be without hookups at Acadia in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if I need to disconnect the solar when I turn on the generator for additional charging with the converter when we're using 110 for coffee, microwave or TV. Or can both the solar and converter chargers be active at the same time?

TIA,
Richard
__________________

__________________
whitegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,622
Images: 3
Nope you don't need to worry about that. It's just like plugging into shore power. When you're plugged into normal shore power your converter and solar are working together in parallel. Same with the generator hooked up.
__________________

__________________
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:48 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 154
Great. One less thing to worry about. 😅
__________________
whitegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Nope you don't need to worry about that. It's just like plugging into shore power. When you're plugged into normal shore power your converter and solar are working together in parallel. Same with the generator hooked up.
And there is no risk from the two separate charging systems over-charging the batteries [because they don't "talk" to each other through a central controller]? The OP's Zamp panel is an external device which he connects to the batteries manually, I assume.

Sorry if this is a dumb question . . .

Thanks,

Peter
__________________
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,222
Images: 5
I talked with Lewster by PM on this subject...but regarding shore power/converter and solar at the same time. He assured me it is not an issue.. Generator/converter and solar should be no different.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I talked with Lewster by PM on this subject...but regarding shore power/converter and solar at the same time. He assured me it is not an issue.. Generator/converter and solar should be no different.
Thanks. Do the external chargers like the Zamp have their own mini-controllers built in, so that they know when to stop sending electricity to the batteries?

Since the AS OEM Parallax chargers do not taper off their charge when the batteries are fully charged -- thus leading to problems as Lewster and others have pointed out -- logically any external charger (whether solar or otherwise) should be designed to taper off their contribution, shouldn't they?

Edit -- Answer, yes the Zamp has its own controller:

http://www.zampsolar.com/product/160...stem-zs-160-p/

FYI $795 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Zamp-solar-ZS.../dp/B00K1LBSUE
__________________
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,222
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks. Do the external chargers like the Zamp have their own mini-controllers built in, so that they know when to stop sending electricity to the batteries?

Since the AS OEM Parallax chargers do not taper off their charge when the batteries are fully charged -- thus leading to problems as Lewster and others have pointed out -- logically any external charger (whether solar or otherwise) should be designed to taper off their contribution, shouldn't they?

Edit -- Answer, yes the Zamp has its own controller:

http://www.zampsolar.com/product/160...stem-zs-160-p/

FYI $795 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Zamp-solar-ZS.../dp/B00K1LBSUE
Yes, and I found the Zamp controller to be a pretty good PWM controller. I bypassed it, as I also have a 100 watt panel permanently mounted on the roof. They both are now paralleled to a Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT controller inside the AS. I still have the Zamp controller mounted on the portable unit, with quick connects for use away from the AS.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,863
Thanks for the feedback, as we are headed in that direction some day.
__________________
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,254
Simultaneous portable solar and generator

Typically, any quality 3-stage solar charge controller will respond to another outside charging source (like a generator-powered converter) by 'seeing' the batteries as full and will not compete with it.

I see this repeatedly when installing Magnum inverter/ chargers with a solar array and Blue Sky or Victron charge controller.

There seems to be no set of rules that 2 different chargers follow other than when one 'sees' the other charging the batteries, it will back off and not charge until required. It seems to work both ways too.


Lew Farber
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,863
Thank you.
__________________
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
crestonrv's Avatar
 
1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 171
Images: 7
Blog Entries: 5
have seen this system have conflict between controllers .
on the freedom hf inverter chrgr when ac is applied to coach with active solar .
the inverter blows fault code as reads 13vdc + at batts
simple solution is to install switch on solar feed to shut solar feed down when a/c applied to coach allowing the faster charge from inverter to take care of batts .
however if rv is not in use the solar charge is pure dc vrs the dirty dc from inverter/ converter chrgr.
the pure dc is healthier for agm batts , flooded don't care .
__________________
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,222
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestonrv View Post
have seen this system have conflict between controllers .
on the freedom hf inverter chrgr when ac is applied to coach with active solar .
the inverter blows fault code as reads 13vdc + at batts
simple solution is to install switch on solar feed to shut solar feed down when a/c applied to coach allowing the faster charge from inverter to take care of batts .
however if rv is not in use the solar charge is pure dc vrs the dirty dc from inverter/ converter chrgr.
the pure dc is healthier for agm batts , flooded don't care .
Hmmm, sounds like "over-diagnostics" at work. Don't believe it's a problem, but the mfr creating one where one doesn't exist. Your solution fixes that.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,254
Simple solution...... Stay away from Xantrex inverter/chargers and you won't have compatibility problems. :-))


Lew Farber
__________________

__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supplement Factory Solar with Portable Solar dkottum Generators & Solar Power 10 06-16-2016 03:28 PM
portable solar generator has anyone used one? telkxa1 Generators & Solar Power 3 07-12-2015 12:20 AM
Solar or generator or and generator? badkat Full-Timing 15 11-17-2014 09:59 PM
Portable solar power John Gervais Generators & Solar Power 11 01-20-2011 06:23 PM
Portable solar suggestions dickmfield Generators & Solar Power 5 01-10-2010 05:51 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.