Old 12-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #1

1965 22' Safari
Coalmont , Colorado
Shore Power

Hooking up electric in renovated 65 Safari Single. Old breaker box had 120 wires enter on top and shore power coming out bottom and was attached to rear interior wall. My question is what is best way to get shore power cable to outside? Put a new hole in wall to outside and go that route? Thanks, Not yet shiny.

Notyetshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Consider placement of other utility connections like water and sewer and TV, and think about how you will hook things up and disconnect. Generally its a good idea to have your connections in the same area for convenience. It's also a good idea NOT to put water connections above power connections, etc.

Consider ALL the stuff you need to hook up, then arrange for safety and convenience...

In my 2007, the electrical connection, shore power, water (fresh and sewer flush) as well as sewer valves both gray and black are located in the rear, streetside, fairly low on the body. My electrical panel is located all the way across the trailer, under the rear dinette seat. So the shore power wiring had to be routed across under the AS floor somehow. Similar situation with some of the television cable wiring.

Because I am getting a bit old and creaky, I would prefer the utility connections be accessible without having to kneel on the ground. That would also be a consideration for your setup eventually.... There is NOTHING that requires that utility ports be hard to reach while standing...

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:54 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
I have a 72' safari and when I remodeled I added the shore hookup on my port side above my water inlet. I drilled through the inner and outer skin. Measured 20x's and cut once. See pics.
The interior pic shows where my wire exits the airstream. Red arrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0972.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	301233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0967.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	301234  

Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Dunno if I would have designed it this way….????

But my shore hook up is not a jack, but it is a cable that comes out of my bumper compartment.

The cable reaches most outlets at campgrounds. Only been to a few campgrounds in my 14 years of streaming.

The thing is….I usually only use it to charge batteries, and usually need an extension cord. The junction of the extension cord is covered up in the bumper compartment, and protected from rain.

I'm thinking that not all units have bumper compartments.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Mine originally was also stored in the bumper before I modified it and brought it up to date. Didn’t like the idea of storing electric cord with the waste pipes. I don’t need to worry about hooking up and dumping anymore because I have a nature’s head composting toilet and got rid of my black tank.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
What do you do with tbe gray water? Dump it illegally?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:16 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Nope I hook up a blue boy currently for grey water drainage when I don’t have a place to dump it via garden hose into a black water dump drain at a campsite.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
You can get a wye attachment for your slinky where it goes ibto the ground. It has a hose fitting to attach your gray hose. Eliminates the need for a blue boy. In your case just get the fitting with the hose attachment tgat screws into tbe sewer hole. Attach the garden hose and you are set.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I advise you think of where the Shore Power Pedestal normally is and where your Circuit Breaker Panel is located and go from there. It would be wise to keep the wiring inside the Safari as short as possible.
I was able to hide my panel close to where the receptacle was originally located. Everything is Marine Grade even though the panel is custom. Since I didn't pull the panels the wiring is run around the perimeter similar to the way we did boats. Even though I wanted to stay original I upgraded the receptacle as well (this decision was made when I was going to work inside during a thunderstorm).
I went with a Double Pole Circuit Breaker on the incoming line with only a few feet of cable to the panel. You should also use a Polarity Indicator and Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter.
Check out my post #91
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...-122678-7.html

Best

1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote