Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Dover , Pennsylvania
Shattered Solar Panel Replacement

We've had our Airstream 3 weeks tomorrow. I was on a ladder today and saw that one of the factory installed solar panels is shattered. My best guess is while we were camping last weekend something fell from a tree and hit it. You can see where something impacted the center of the panel. I am not a happy camper. I assume this will be a relatively easily replacement, but expensive. I would prefer to replace it myself as opposed to driving 3 1/2 hours back to Colonial where we purchased it. I am an industrial electrician so I feel this falls well within my skill set to replace it. Any idea on cost of a panel or a source other than Airstream? I've left a message with the parts department at Colonial and am waiting on a return call. What can we do to prevent this from happening again? Any advice or at least a shoulder to cry on?
Dan_Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
That's unfortunate. Quality solar panels are quite tough and impact resistant. My Kyocera and Solartech panels have endured some very heavy hailstorms. Purchased all of mine thru Amazon. There are many online sources. Should be easy to replace if Airstream used MC4 connectors or an accessible junction box.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Expensive? We have comprehensive insurance which covers something like this less a zero deductible. You might want to check your policy.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I purchased 2 100w panels off the internet this year at about $250 CDN so US dollars should be a lot less. The biggest issue is that if you want to re-use the brackets the new panel would have to be the same or similar size. Take a look at what type of panel it is and what the model number is. The panel should unbolt and the model number is underneath. Then you can do an internet search. Most of the panels utilize the MC4 type of connector and they would just unplug once you can reach them. Hopefully you will get lucky and find an exact replacement. If not it may be a good time to upgrade the entire system.

Good luck.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
According to your manual, your panels are made by Ameresco Solar. There are several distributors on-line who sell panels, here's one for example. Certainly worth checking around for lower prices.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Dan Rox I have two panels and sun explorer controller display in my basement. There off a 2015 Airstream. I couldn't find manufacture's name but the spec's are Model 50J. Pt.#5212.8229. There's a A and H stamped with # 14081974, 14081872 on the other. You can have them for free, if you pick up in Brookeville Md. I will give you my phone number in your private mail. Let's make lemon aid out of lemons.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Like someone else said, check your insurance first, you may be covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Rox View Post
We've had our Airstream 3 weeks tomorrow. I was on a ladder today and saw that one of the factory installed solar panels is shattered. My best guess is while we were camping last weekend something fell from a tree and hit it. You can see where something impacted the center of the panel. I am not a happy camper. I assume this will be a relatively easily replacement, but expensive. I would prefer to replace it myself as opposed to driving 3 1/2 hours back to Colonial where we purchased it. I am an industrial electrician so I feel this falls well within my skill set to replace it. Any idea on cost of a panel or a source other than Airstream? I've left a message with the parts department at Colonial and am waiting on a return call. What can we do to prevent this from happening again? Any advice or at least a shoulder to cry on?
If U remove the panel U will see the manufacture and all the info U need for a replacement. Then go on the internet a find the company who made it and deal with them. I was lucky to find someone with a totaled trailer and bought the whole system with 3 85 watts panels for a good price. Removed the broken one and replaced it with one of the others. Now I have two extras and will tie them into the four on the roof I have to a total of 6 panels and that should give me about 495 watts.
rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Dover , Pennsylvania
Update, Colonial Airstream asked me to send them a picture of the shattered panel. They said they would forward it to Airstream for evaluation. I am still waiting for a reply.

Through the generosity of Streaminwild I picked up two panels this morning that are the same as my factory panels. This is truly a great community. I hope I have the opportunity to pay forward the kindness I have received here.

We have 40 mile per hour wind gusts today so I don't think I'll be replacing the panel today.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:59 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Dover , Pennsylvania
As a final update I wanted to give Airstream and Colonial credit for following up. Airstream agreed to replace the panel free for goodwill but wouldn't cover installation. Colonial said they would install it for free if I wanted to bring the trailer back to them. I am having them ship the panel to me.