Old 06-16-2016, 01:35 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member
San Francisco , California
4/0 cable routing

Okay, been away a little bit but I'm back and preparing to get things together. I'll have my electrician look before I connect power, but I'm hoping to do everything myself before he comes to inspect

My airstream had a 600 watt WFCO inverter, which I'm getting rid of. I've already pulled out the wires that went from that inverter snaking down (a bit circuitously) to the battery terminals.

My question is: should I keep the 6awg wires that go from battery up to DC bus bars? They are taking up valuable real estate in the hole that goes through the floor, and they are also filling up the hole through the steel chassis that makes the shortest route to the battery box. Should I pull those out too, so I can have a nice clean and short single pair run of 4/0 to the batteries? And then to feed the house bus bars, tap off the battery side of the inverter fuse to go to the DC positive bus bar, and the inverter side of the shunt for negative? It seems cleaner to do that rather than have two pairs of thick wires running all the way to the battery terminals.

Also, when I add solar, can I tap that into those same places, or do I need to run an additional pair of heavy gauge wires from my MPPT all the way to the battery terminals? Since my run of 4/0 is only going to be about 2-3 feet total, it seems pretty robust... And I'm going to need to start drilling new holes in the floor to fit all that cable through. I'd love to avoid that.

- Paul

paulbmccarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland

Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote