Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
CAV
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Dubuque , Iowa
Security for Portable Solar Panels

Since Wisconsin State Parks do not allow generators; and electric spots are booked for the year....I purchased the GoPower 120w portable solar panels to keep batteries charged. They were recommended on one of the AS emails, and I must say they are awesome. What do folks do to secure such panels (if anything) when they are away from their campsite? Thanks!
CAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
I use a steel cable that is the same length as the power cord. Each end has a loop, one that wraps around the hinges up the center of the panels and the other end that locks into the hitch lock. The whole set-up gets folded up and put away in the late afternoon. Granted, easy enough to snip the cable but since it's only out during the day and typically there are other campers out and about we've been good with this system for over 5 years.
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Same thing I do with the Honda genset.....lock it in the trailer.

Bob
Old 08-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
25 ft. Marine steel cable. Of course that will barely inconvience a pro but might at least make a crime of opportunity thug go somewhere else to get his drug money.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #5
CAV
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Dubuque , Iowa
Thanks!
CAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
alarm?

A simple alarm setup could be made fairly easily. The trip is a wire taped along the steel cable which is connected to a low voltage (12v) relay wired into an alarm system of some sort. As long as the wire is energized the relay is open. If the wire is disconnected or cut the relay closes and the alarm sounds. The alarm can be 12v or 110v and can be anything from a flashing light to an actual alarm.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
San Jose , California
We use cable as well depending on how we feel about the locale. When boondocking, we put it inside when we leave. At a forest service campground, we cable.
Makaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I've been tempted to buy one like this. http://m.lockalarm.com/?url=http%3A%...referrer=#2890

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-31-2016, 06:39 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Selinsgrove , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAV View Post
Since Wisconsin State Parks do not allow generators; and electric spots are booked for the year....I purchased the GoPower 120w portable solar panels to keep batteries charged. They were recommended on one of the AS emails, and I must say they are awesome. What do folks do to secure such panels (if anything) when they are away from their campsite? Thanks!
I have a 100w flex panel (@5 lbs) that I place on the roof of the camper when docked and secure against wind using two elastic bands. I run the wires down the back corner to a compact controller near the battery case and the whole unit is out of sight. So far so good.
TinkersToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:41 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Boca Raton , Florida
Zamp Solar Panels

I have 2 Zamp 100 watt panels that fold together. I drilled a hole thru both frames so I can place a large lock through. This enables me to place a large plastic covered cable around the trailer frame in front and lock it to the panels. Much harder to cut than just a cable I feel. My system is awesome although cumbersome to store, setup and breakdown. Recharges the 2-6v AMG batteries well.
Joohntooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I've been tempted to buy one like this. http://m.lockalarm.com/?url=http%3A%...referrer=#2890

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Interesting product for several different applications.
Observation, in my experience people ignore most alarms going off as do crooks.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Solar Cable

Have a black Steel Cable that i put lock on panel and thru hole on edge of battery box. When were away from site i lay panel flat ,and you really don't notice it. When were at site then i position it for max sun. Have been doing for years at Peninsula State Park.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote