Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Hollister , California
Securing your generators

Just bought the Honda 2000 pair. Anyone come up with a good solution to KEEPING them. By thjat I mean prevent theft from an open pickup bed. I've got a "12 Ford SD with an 8" bed. I know I can cable lock them but any clever ideas? Also,is it possible and safe to operate the refridgerator on battery power while towing?
Luftnoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Best advice I've seen is a Tonneau cover possibly combined with a cable lock. If they are not visible you're unlikely to have trouble.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
We had simlar concerns about securring our generator. The following thread (#7 to be specific) shows the design we came up with to secure our generator when dry camping. I'm sure a thief could eventually break into this ... but it's going to take some effort and hopefully would draw some attention from others or our dogs (that seem to hear everything). I designed it where it has a lip that extends beyond the base so that the tow vehicle or trailer can be driven onto the lip to secure the cage in place, or the cage can also be chained to the axle of the tow vehicle or the trailer.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...box-67328.html
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
Best advice I've seen is a Tonneau cover possibly combined with a cable lock. If they are not visible you're unlikely to have trouble.
I agree, I have a Retrax bed cover on our TV that locks and our tailgate also locks and I chain it in the bed of the TV.
I think that the best practice is "if it can't be seen then it's not as tempting to take it" is the most preventive way of keeping your gen safe.
You can buy the best locks in the world but I always find what my grandfather used to tell me to be true...
" A lock will only keep a honest man honest"
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Mine is locked inside the bed, covered with a cap that can be locked. In the end, no matter what you do, an accomplished thief can get through anything an steal whatever. Locks, chains etc. just show 'im down or keep the casual ones away. Still worth securing as best as possible though. Mr. & Mrs S: The out of site, out of mind thing is good advice! Plus your parting quote is right on!
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Out of sight has worked well while we are at the campground.

If away, it goes back in the ActionPacker and comes with us in the Burb.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 140.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	150142   Click image for larger version

Name:	HONDA CONVERSION add vid pix2-3 006.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	150143  

Old 02-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The other part of your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftnoggin View Post
Just bought the Honda 2000 pair. Anyone come up with a good solution to KEEPING them. By thjat I mean prevent theft from an open pickup bed. I've got a "12 Ford SD with an 8" bed. I know I can cable lock them but any clever ideas? Also,is it possible and safe to operate the refridgerator on battery power while towing?
Re: operating the refrigerator on battery power while towing: The general consensus is that this is possible but impractical. It would require a big bank of batteries and either a 3-way fridge (not standard in trailers) or a big inverter (inefficient) and a serious charge line from tow vehicle to trailer.

Most people seem to run the fridge on propane while traveling, or just use it like an upright ice chest for the travel time.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I cable lock the genny to the tongue when in use, and stow it in the AS or TV when not in use. Any deterrent is a help.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote