Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Saint Lucie , Florida
Securing Generator - 1/4" aircraft cable?

Does anyone have some advice on securing your generator? Have you heard of 1/4" aircraft cable with lock? I've done some web surfing about the issue and came up with this product that people claim to me much harder to cut than regular chains and bicycle style locks. I have a new quiet 3000 yahama and would hate to loose it.
thanks!
Grapesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I have not, but Kryptonite cables and barrel locks seem to perform better than others on the market
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Could be - but I always have envisions of someone with a cheap Harbor Freight angle grinder plugged into my own gennie to cut through whatever cable lock I have use!

I do use a fairly substantial cable lock though, in conjunction with a rather substantial
padlock - the type that uses a cylindrical key.

As well, I bought an aftermarket security gadget for the Honda 2000 that sort of wraps around the plastic carrying handle to make cutting through the plastic handle more of a challenge. I think it is hardened steel but not certain of that.

It is fastened around the handle with those "anti-vandal" screws with non-standard heads.

Of course most of us have all the special screwdriver bits to deal with those anyway these days!

You can only do so much! But at least these things might help discourage a less than determined thief!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Aircraft cable must be flexible and is therefore of an alloy that is not hardened and fairly quick and easy to cut with an angle grinder or (surprise) cable cutter. They are resistant to bolt cutters but not these other tools.

I would suggest some security chain. I get mine from Tulsa Chain but there are other suppliers. Security chain is relatively difficult and time consuming to cut by any means (aside from those involving fire) and is available in several sizes. I have a length that I run through the wheels on my trailer to immobilize it.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
gainesville , Virginia
There're No Guarantees In Life!

Locks will not stop a criminal, they're to keep the "less than honest" amongst us "more honest." No locks are unpick-able, few are even difficult to pick -- cable locks, padlocks, cylindrical locks, (cheap BIC ballpoint pen does it) or what-have-you. When it comes to door locks, the average Schlage-type locks take 15 seconds to one minute to pick for a neophyte, the Medeco ($150-$200 installed) door locks take 5-1/2 to 6 hours! There are few true security measures to take, only those to slow folks down. 1/4" aircraft cable is minimal security, case-hardened chain of the maximum size to fit your job and a padlock with a case-hardened shackle and minimum space for bolt cutters to fit between the lock and shackle will be the maximum protection. You won't want to go that far. You pays yo money and takes yo chances.
GEEEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Honda makes a steel security handles for their gennys. I also have generator covers. I plan on splashing some old paint on the covers to camouflage and uglify them.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I got the hardened steel handle reinforcements and use thick cable locks (can't remember brand). I do, however, use 50' of 1/4" cable to lock (spelled...slow down thieves) my portable solar panels to a tree or whatever. 50' allows flexibility of placement to capture best sun.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You could paint them put POWERHORSE or GENERAC stickers all over them.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I cut steel cable, chain and locks with these. Like cutting thru butter. Locks and chains are for keeping honest people honest. Pros laugh at our puny efforts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	256760  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I cut steel cable, chain and locks with these. Like cutting thru butter. Locks and chains are for keeping honest people honest. Pros laugh at our puny efforts.
I think we all know that

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Pros laugh at our puny efforts.
Try a couple of these:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...sigt=12act310l
Old 02-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I use my cheap Ryobi battery powered angle grinder all the time at my off-the-grid cabin. It quickly cuts through most anything I take it too. Some sparks and a little noisy, but it's fast!
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:09 PM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I think we should try to help out the OP.

I think we all agree that it is impossible to secure a generator such that a motivated individual with tools, time, and disregard for the amount of attention they attract cannot remove it. Conversely I think we can all agree that there are circumstances where there are practical reasons to try to secure the generator against theft. And given all that there are various tradeoffs, some wise, some not, in how to do it.

There is the lowpro bracket which works in some situations. I don't recommend operating the generator while it's on the trailer tongue, too much risk of CO accumulating, but the lighter ones can at least be stored there. Or the bracket can be used in the truck bed.

Yes, you can use a kryptonite lock, but by their nature they are only two feet long or so. Many if not most campsites lack an anchor point that is well situated to use one.

Yes you can use a cable lock and a padlock. I don't recommend it because they are so easy to cut with readily available tools that anyone can have in their possession without drawing scrutiny. On the other hand cable locks are light and cheap and easy to use, and readily available.

You can use ordinary chain but for the same weight and bulk as chain of sufficient size to be a deterrent, why not use security chain. By comparison the only disadvantages are cost and availability.

People who steal generators want to do it fast. I think in most cases it's a crime of opportunity rather than the situation with a bike thief where there is an advance decision to do the crime, some degree of planning, and where it is a repeat activity that allow skills to develop. So a generator that's just sitting there is most likely to get stolen, one that people can steal with a leatherman tool, only slightly less likely, etc.

You put a security chain around the handle and a good lock and to steal it they have to do one of two things:

1) They have to cut the handle which is going to make it hard for them to sell the generator. You can put the metal reinforcement on there which will slow them down a little if they decide to try thisi.

2) They need a grinder or a torch, and a couple of minutes with one or the other in operation to cut the chain.

Now, #2 can happen out in the middle of nowhere or in an industrial area at night but no one is going to do it in a campground where there are people around.

Best thing is to put it out of sight in an enclosed truck bed but that wasn't the question.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Jammer said well what is my position. My gennies only sit out while in operation and somewhat attended to. The "snatch and run" theft is all I try and prevent. A cable will do that. Otherwise they are locked away in the truck.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
I like to keep my generator a little bit away from the trailer while in operation. For times I will be using the generator and there is nothing practical to chain it to I'm thinking of using two spiral anchors screwed into the ground about a foot apart. A 1" round steel pipe goes between the two anchors with one end too large to pass through the first anchor's ring and the other end secured through the second anchor ring with a lock. The chain around the generator uses the same lock to secure it. That way a snatch and grab thief must dig up at least one of the anchors and then swing around the mess or dig up the second anchor. And even with my snoring my wife should hear the noise and swearing they would make.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FOHXG0/...5ZXCTKP4&psc=1
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I think we all know that
Apparently not.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 02-04-2016, 04:52 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up What werks for us.....

....it 'hides' in it's tent when running, OOSOOM.

...and in the AP'r when not.
;

Bob
Old 02-04-2016, 05:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bob, how is the propane conversion working out?

Old 02-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Maybe doesn't help the original question, but the only time the generator is out is when it's being used, and it is chained as a deterrent. Me and the Mrs then put it back in the SUV.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote