Old 05-16-2004, 04:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Given that info, if you're absolutely going to stick with a single generator, I'd go with the Yamaha EF2800i. One EU2000 would be on the ragged edge even at sea level, and I'm afraid it wouldn't be long before you're seeing blue smoke from worn piston rings.

The upsides:

At its rated output at sea level, the EF2800i meets the minimum requirement established by Duo-Therm for your air-conditioner, and it should still be able to provide that up minimum power up to about 3,000' ASL.

It weighs a LOT less than the electric-start 3000W models from Honda and Yamaha.

With 3.0 gallons of fuel vs 1.1, it will run about 2.7 times longer between refills than an EU2000.

It's blue, like the Airstream awnings (unless they're burgundy like the Limiteds).

The downsides:

It's a lot heavier than the EU2000, especially when fueled (about 85 lbs). Try to make sure it's as empty as possible before having to load or unload it.

It's more awkward to carry. You have to carry it in front of you with two hands. Better yet, have two people to lift and carry it.

The gas cap is vented and doesn't have a shut off like the Hondas. Again, make sure the fuel level is low if you have to tip it.

Even operating at less than rated capacity, it's going to be 6-7 db louder than a single EU2000 working its heart out. Put the Yamaha about 2.2 times as far from the trailer as you would the Honda and that will make it about the same sound level.

If you decide you want to be more of an electricity hog, or camp at high altitudes during hot weather, in the future, you'll have to replace it. It can't be paralleled with another.

Yamaha makes quality equipment. As long as you keep power usage limited to the AC (and that means holding off on AC until the batteries are charged if you use a significant amount of DC the night before), the EF2800i should be adequate.

I might also mention here that the preeminent on-line vendor of Honda generators, Mayberry's, no longer sells Honda equipment, since Honda started hammering on-line vendors with quotas and advertising restrictions. They've switched to Yamaha. There are hundreds of RVers who've been happy with Mayberrys' service and I'd recommend them as a source for the EF2800i.

RoadKingMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:17 PM   #16
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hi Moe.

Thanks again for the detailed summary of my situation.

I've now come to the conclusion that no matter what, I am going to hold out and go with 2 honda 2000's when i can save some money.

With the yamaha, not being able to parralel those might be an issue. Weight. Locking gas cap(I'm assuming for transport), and noise.

It just seems to make more sense. Also, for my location photography, 2 of the honda's might work well for my lighting/power needs I think. I use hi power studio strobes on location, and if I can find the electric rating info on these, I send that info to you for your consideration.

I think I should go to my local community college and take an electronics class. In the near future I'll have to learn how to use a multi-meter.

Thanks for your info, I have bookmarked your page on how to put together the parallel set for the Hondas.

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Hondas in Parallel

In this whole string I'm surprised Maurice hasn't chimed in with a comment about the paralleling hookups sold by Honda. The only parallel connector that will work is a "home-built" like Maurice's - or one purchased from Gen-Trac. The unit that Honda sells will not provide 30 amp service at 4 kw. This may be the reason that someone stated that the "paralleled Hondas" will still not run a 13,500 btu A/C. Honda endorses the 30 amp connector sold by Gen-Trac - and will tell you how to contact Gen-Trac - but Honda itself, for some strange reason, is not warehousing the 30 amp connector??? I think that it is possibly related to some legal issues that are related to my initial "what if" comments that started this thread. The connector sold by Honda boosts the available KW of the two generators - but nowhere near the required 4 KW needed for a 13,500 btu A/C.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote