Old 05-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
PJohnson:

I agree with many of the comments above and would also second Ghaynes comments on page 1. I just completed my solar upgrade last week on my 2015 25' Serenity. My link, photos and progress are included in this topic.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/here-we-go-the-beginning-of-my-solar-adventures-150899.html.

Best of luck and as the Nike company says - Just Do It!

Be well, fish on,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #44
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I think you should have the factory install your solar. You will get exactly what you want.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:02 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Issaquah , Washington
While I currently only need a system to maintain my batteries while the trailer is in storage, I may want to expand the system in the future. At least for now, I would like to use the existing wiring. I have been looking at the following charge controllers: 1) The Blue Sky Solar Boost 1524iX 2) The MorningStar SunSaver MPPT 3) The MorningStar ProStar MPPT and 4) The Bogart Engineering SC-2030. Furthermore, the wiring for the inverter leaves the battery compartment on the left side while the rest of the trailer 12 V wiring leaves the battery compartment on the right side. After inspecting the load center behind the sofa, I cannot find any evidence of the inverter wiring. This creates a bit of a dilemma for system monitoring. The Bogart SC-2030 is designed to work with the Trimetric TM-2030 which requires a shunt on the negative wire between the battery and all loads This would require quite a bit of rewiring, and I am not sure I want to undertake this task. The Blue Sky 1524iX has 2 options for system monitoring: 1) The IPN-ProRemore which also requires the shunt between the battery and all loads requiring rewiring and 2) The IPN-Remote which shows battery voltage and output current. The MorningStar controllers utilize the RM-1 Remote Meter, which provides a bit more data than the Blue Sky, but not near as much as the Trimetric. All of these units have provisions for temperature monitoring. Any thoughts or recommendations about these or any other units would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-30-2016, 11:51 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
The Bogart is a PWM controller. The new MPPT controllers are more efficient, so my recommendation would be to stay with a MPPT controller, especially if you might expand your system in the future.

The MorningStar controllers do not provide, nor do they have an optional battery monitor option. In my opinion a battery monitor is essential to know the state of charge of your batteries and to verify that you don't deplete them more than say 50%, in order to prolong their life. The only way to do this is with a battery monitor and current shunt. So for this reason I would rule out the MorningStar controllers. What's left is the Solar Boost 1524 or 3024.

I was able to mount my shunt inside the battery box to simplify the existing wiring. In my case I didn't have to extend any of the cables, only relocate the existing cables to return to battery negative via the shunt. The IPN Pro Remote integrates well and provides all info you need to maintain a healthy battery setup. Only one, small, panel display is needed and you can reuse the existing CAT5 cable to connect it.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:21 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I think you should have the factory install your solar. You will get exactly what you want.

Funny

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:14 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I am very familiar with Lews work as well - he has installed hundreds of these systems from very simple to very complex - I am not aware of anyone who does more RV and marine installs as he - he has a number of certifications and he hold a masters degree in electrical engineering - he continues adds to his knowledge base - when he installs these systems they are installed in such a way that do not require a bunch of holes drilled into the trailer - and the really great thing is he is very free with his information - at very least I would get - and listen - to his ideas and opinion on this subject either by PM or on this thread

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:31 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
I went through this decision process in 2011 with an install, and will have to again soon with my new trailer. As these wise folks state, all solar panels and systems are not created equal. Plenty of info on this site, research will save you money and get you a system that does more than just charge your batteries. I ordered a 100 watt system from AM solar. I have been to the Airstream factory for service, they are really expensive and I would reserve it for skin work. I had few options for installers in my area and had to go to camping world; they were the only ones that had ever worked on an airstream and were once a dealer. I gave them the diagram for the wiring after some research and was insistent about reviewing it with them and they did a fine job for $400. A solar system only works as well as the batteries you pair it with. I also got Lifeline batteries. I have been out for ten day stretches, some with cloudiness. I use the lights sparingly, but have never run out of power to keep the appliances and furnace going even with watching a movie on rainy nights. On those nights in the morning the batteries are 50%, it is fully charged when I return in the evening even in the mountains of Pa..
Old 06-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Issaquah , Washington
After a bit more research, it has been suggested that I can locate a shunt by the battery compartment. Since the battery compartment is on the trailer tongue and there is not enough room inside the battery compartment, where would be a good place to mount the shunt?
Old 06-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
In the vicinity of where the battery ground cable connects to the ground bus in the trailer. In my AS its on the front wall under the bed. I plan to mount my shunt there.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Issaquah , Washington
I considered that location but I am not sure if the inverter wiring is accessible at that location.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Dunno. We don't have an inverter complicating things. It's tough enough just getting in there...I've never been accused of being a little guy. 😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:56 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
As far as components, I highly recommend you explore the Victron Energy offerings. Both Lew and AM Solar sell them. They have Bluetooth capability so you don't even need to mount a control panel. Beautiful app right on your phone or tablet. They are big in high end marine applications. Prices are competitive and quality/integration is great.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
brookhaven , Georgia
solar

contact outsidesupply.com. i added 2 more gopower panels to my AI, and now i have 300 watts. I need more power.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
I take the fuse out of LP detector, with tanks turned off, during storage and i believe you can shut down or turn off the inverter as well. Might need to look in owners manual for that info.

any small solar system will keep the batteries topped off but if you are thinking about going bigger the future you will have to start over from scratch more of less to get more watts (panels), bigger wires, better controllers etc.

Start with the end in mind.. 3-400 watts of panels with proper size wires, good controllers like the bogart tm2030rv and the sc2030 will go a long ways to making you happy during off grid days or weeks.

If you have not i recommend you check out handybobsolar site. Lots of info from a guy, that many think is nuts, but he has installed, repaired, and improved on a lot of system installed by so-called solar experts.

I agree with the others on AM Solar and Lew being a top notch company/installer for sure. I bet they have done more solar installs on airstreams than airstream has on airstreams and the owners are REAL happy vs disappointed.

good luck and read all you can before making a plan. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJohnson View Post
I am not “long gone,” I am waiting for an answer to my original post. Clearly I was asking about the cost and work quality of the Airstream service center upgrade.

Many of you have or need high power systems and it is obvious from your posts that the factory system is not adequate for your needs. On the other hand, I do not need a high power system. I need a system that will offset the 170-milliamp draw from the LP monitor and the inverter (4 amps per day – 28 amps per week) while the coach is in storage. I would like to have the system top off the batteries after I do a bulk charge with the generator and battery charger in order to reduce the time I must run the generator. After an earlier discussion with AM Solar, we determined that a 50 to 100 watt system would be adequate. Clearly, the system installed by the service center would be adequate (the service center does not use the same equipment as the factory).

I am also considering the Bogart Engineering SC 2030 / TM 2030 system (available for AM Solar). Furthermore, I would install the system myself if I knew where to access the pre-installed wiring (it is not in the same location as it was in older coaches like my 2010 Classic Limited). The problem with the Bogart system is the need of re-wiring the battery compartment since both the inverter and the converter power lines must be wired on the downstream side of the shunt.

TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote