Old 05-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Go with AM solar, don't bother with the undersized pre-installed wire or the too-small and cheap overpriced Airstream system. Do it right
If you're planning to install 200 W or less the existing solar pre-wiring is fine and not undersized. The losses due to the pre-wiring, even in the 30' classic will be less than 3%. You can even continue to increase solar capacity by adding two more panels in a series/parallel arrangement for a total of 400 W. In my system, the losses due to the existing solar pre-wiring are less than 2%!

I think for some folks who are concerned about the work involved in installing solar, to not reuse the existing solar pre-wiring is a deal breaker. For me, I probably wouldn't have undertaken a DIY installation if I had to run the cabling. I'm sure I would have also found it challenging to run a CAT5 cable from the solar controller to the area containing the See Level monitor. So there are efficient ways to reuse the existing wiring, keep the losses down and avoid unnecessary mucking about in trying to run additional wires that I'm sure some folks can appreciate.

ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:48 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJohnson View Post
I prefer to not have the after market companies practice on my trailer.
I may be misunderstanding you, but the idea that Lewster would "practice" on your trailer indicates you should probably do more research. Lew and AM Solar are considered by many folks to be the industry standard.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers,

Climber

Old 05-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
Solar from AM SOLAR

I have done two installs using AM SOLAR kits. Their kit truly is complete, you need nothing which is not supplied by them in the kit in one shipment. How much time would I need to invest if I sourced everything singularly? Excellent on line videos allow one to self train.
These guys have been in business for many years which speaks to their reliability.
Larry
Old 05-25-2016, 09:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The OP seems to be long gone. Guess he has his heart set on the Mothership.
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:38 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Issaquah , Washington
I am not “long gone,” I am waiting for an answer to my original post. Clearly I was asking about the cost and work quality of the Airstream service center upgrade.

Many of you have or need high power systems and it is obvious from your posts that the factory system is not adequate for your needs. On the other hand, I do not need a high power system. I need a system that will offset the 170-milliamp draw from the LP monitor and the inverter (4 amps per day – 28 amps per week) while the coach is in storage. I would like to have the system top off the batteries after I do a bulk charge with the generator and battery charger in order to reduce the time I must run the generator. After an earlier discussion with AM Solar, we determined that a 50 to 100 watt system would be adequate. Clearly, the system installed by the service center would be adequate (the service center does not use the same equipment as the factory).

I am also considering the Bogart Engineering SC 2030 / TM 2030 system (available for AM Solar). Furthermore, I would install the system myself if I knew where to access the pre-installed wiring (it is not in the same location as it was in older coaches like my 2010 Classic Limited). The problem with the Bogart system is the need of re-wiring the battery compartment since both the inverter and the converter power lines must be wired on the downstream side of the shunt.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
I am also considering the Bogart Engineering SC 2030 / TM 2030 system (available for AM Solar). Furthermore, I would install the system myself if I knew where to access the pre-installed wiring (it is not in the same location as it was in older coaches like my 2010 Classic Limited). The problem with the Bogart system is the need of re-wiring the battery compartment since both the inverter and the converter power lines must be wired on the downstream side of the shunt.[/QUOTE]

I installed both of these units and it is really a simple operation and was very easy for a novice to install on my 2014 25fb.
Many on this forum will disagree with me but I got all the help I needed from " Solar Bob" who led me through the whole easy process. Most refer to him as "Angry Bob".
He would as others who have answered your post recommend highly against having the factory install the system for you. Get someone who understands solar, or learn how to do it yourself. It's not rocket science
Old 05-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #21
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Sounds like you already know you want what the factory offers....
It is my opinion that for the money you will spend there, could be spent at a far better place on far better equipment. I believe the factory charges over $3000 for a 150 watt upgrade?
I have 1200 watts and top shelf controllers monitors and batteries.
You will also receive lots of screw holes at the factory... They do not use vhb for installation.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #22
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I did not spend close to $3k
Old 05-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Not sure what system the service center installs, but does it include a three-stage battery monitor with temperature compensation? If not, then you may be harming your batteries in the long run. Is the service center suggesting that you need to upgrade to AGM cells too? This is probably an expense you can avoid, so make sure the solar charger that they install has the option of charging wet cell lead-acid batteries as well as AGM lead-acid batteries. And lastly, is the service center going to add a remote display panel for the solar charger? And you want to add yet another panel for the Trimetric battery monitor? If you were able to select the Blue Sky controller with the IPN Pro remote, you'd only have one display panel to do it all and have the ability to change parameters for wet or AGM batteries and include temperature compensation. Whatever you choose, we hope you learned a few things. Enjoy.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP, your mind is already set on having the factory rip you off on an overpriced underpowered system. I say Go for it, your money and your decision. The only thing you will be able say is that you stood by your decision and did not let the experienced folks here sway you one way or the other. Good luck.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Well said Micheal,,

you can lead the proverbial horse to water but we all know the rest.. sometime you have to learn the hard way. I know I have learn some valuable lesson that way then i found the internet and places like this..

I now let other do the hard learning adn I take the lesson and go forward not making the same mistakes..

I hope the OP does what he wants to.. at least with the bogart system he will learn rather quickly how undersized the factory system is..

to OP: check out handybobs solar help https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...andybob-solar/

spend a couple of days,, no weeks reading and then re read the info and then decide if you think the factory will work then have at it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
OP, your mind is already set on having the factory rip you off on an overpriced underpowered system. I say Go for it, your money and your decision. The only thing you will be able say is that you stood by your decision and did not let the experienced folks here sway you one way or the other. Good luck.
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Threads like this is why I am not nearly as active here as I used to be.
You buy them books, and buy them books, and all they do is eat the covers off of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Fortunately we live in a free country and can live our lives mostly as we see fit. I did have the factory install the awning package on my trailer and that worked out okay. But used AM Solar for the electrical.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:35 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Issaquah , Washington
Apparently, I offended some people by using the term "practice." Since I did cancer research at a university medical center I am accustom to using the term in the same context as "practicing medicine." I did not intend it to be taken in the same context as "football practice."

BTW -- there is no place in any of my posts that suggest that I have made up my mind. If I practiced medicine with the same regard for listening to people's concerns as some of you, a lot of people would be dead.