Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Wilmot , New Hampshire
Question Recommendations for portable solar panel kit?

Hi, We have a 2010 25 FB International and do a lot of camping in the SW (we live in NH). We are planning on leaving soon for a 4 mth trip through the SW and will be off grid as much of the time as we can. We hate!!! to run the generator so have decided to get a portable solar kit to augment our power in order to keep the pump etc working. Eventually we would like to make our way out to Oregon and see about AM Solar doing a solar rooftop conversion but it's not happening now.

So .. the question. What brand of portable solar? I have seen info on Go Power / Renology and Z amp. Want one that has a decent controller. We have 2 AGM batteries. Lights are all LED (don't use them much), don't watch TV. Our needs are low. I do have a CPAP machine but have lithium batteries and a fold out solar panel that works with it just fine. We are looking at 100-120 watts? Want it to be light enough so that my husband can put it on to the top of the trailer when we are away from the site.

And we need it soon!

Would really appreciate any advice/help . Thanks
jagzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I have the 200w Zamp. I wouldn't store it on the roof. Just put it back in the case and slide it back into the truck.

bestconverter.com seems to have some the best prices for Zamp portable systems. They offer a 120w system.

Kelvin
Old 01-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Check out Renogy. Best prices and value in my opinion. I have the 100 watt suitcase. Used it several times this past year while dry camping in the Keys and on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Very happy with the performance. They have a new suitcase out that is supposed to be even more effective.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Check out Renogy. Best prices and value in my opinion.
I don't know about the lithium capabilities, but we're happy with our Renogy 100 watt suitcase too. I hear they now have a bigger one (both watts and size). It keeps our OEM batteries topped off - we don't use the inverter.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Buying one ourselves in the spring. My research lead me to Zamp. They have great controllers with full metering which I like. Highly rated, and bonus that they fold up and quite portable (a necessity if you are camping amongst trees). I'm looking at an 80W myself for our small 13ft Scotty. You'd need much larger with the two AGMs.
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
I have and really like the Zamp 160....which I believe is the minimum watts you should have for your set-up. Too heavy to constantly put on the AS roof. Zamp is Quality. American made I believe with German panels. You get what you pay for!
Old 01-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
We have been using 2 Renogy 100w panels with kickstands to charge up a 100ah lead acid battery for the last two years. I trailer mounted a Morningstar MPPT controller. For cabling we used 2 conductor marine 8 ga 30 feet long for each panel from West Marine. If you are handy you can put together more effective systems than the prebuilt ones. Ours has done a phenomenal job getting our battery charged, even on gray days. Use the largest cable you can handle. The newer German panels from Renogy are a bit higher efficiency, and a bit smaller in size, but the cost kind of kills the value at this time. Possibly they will adjust cost to demand in the future. Their older panels are still great, available and affordable.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1936 20' Clipper
Reno , Nevada
my son in law attached to the jack an $80 buck solar panel, and hooked it up to our single battery and included a volt meter so its easy to see if the battery is at full charge. After a 3500 mile trip from Reno in to Canada and back, we never once needed any charge. But when we stopped for even a day, we quickly hooked up the solar. Gary Elrod / Reno NV
/Users/garyelrod/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Masters/2015/08/22/20150822-130637/DSCN0576.JPG
Old 01-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Forest Knolls , California
Renogy portable suitcase panels

I have a 16' International with two 100 watt panels on the roof. But in the winter I find I really need the addition of the tiltable, portable suitcase panels for the addditonal sun to top off my two AGM batteries. I have been using the 60 watt Renogy suitcase panels and find that I get as much or more from them as my 200 watts on the roof in winter. They even have an extension cable to get extra length so that your panels can be square in the sunshine. You will need to buy two of these, one for each of the double wired connection to the controller. I got a long loop ended wire cable and keep the suitcase locked to my trailer while in camp. When away for any length of time, I fold it up and lock it in my external Bay, or just put it in the back of my Tow Vehicle. You will definitely need the 100watt suitcase for a 25 foot rig. I have been very happy with the durability and performance of my Renogy panels.
RudiOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDee View Post
I have a 16' International with two 100 watt panels on the roof. But in the winter I find I really need the addition of the tiltable, portable suitcase panels for the addditonal sun to top off my two AGM batteries. I have been using the 60 watt Renogy suitcase panels and find that I get as much or more from them as my 200 watts on the roof in winter. They even have an extension cable to get extra length so that your panels can be square in the sunshine. You will need to buy two of these, one for each of the double wired connection to the controller. I got a long loop ended wire cable and keep the suitcase locked to my trailer while in camp. When away for any length of time, I fold it up and lock it in my external Bay, or just put it in the back of my Tow Vehicle. You will definitely need the 100watt suitcase for a 25 foot rig. I have been very happy with the durability and performance of my Renogy panels.
DD,
It doesn't surprise me that the smaller portables can do better than the roof mounted panels. The roof panels are never perpendicular to the sun, and shadow from roof air and vents kill output. They are virtually theft proof though, and can charge while in motion or storage.
You have to watch those extension cords for the portables because you get voltage drop. Replacing the original cables with single longer fat gauge cable would produce better charging.
Russ
Old 01-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here's my setup with a Zamp 160W portable. I've since added a 100W Renogy panel to the roof. Best of both worlds to accommodate my local and camping lifestyle.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ar-124920.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We have a Go Power portable 80Watt we have had for 3 years now, and it serves us well to keep our batteries topped off, when we have sun exposure. If we did it again, would likely get the 160W unit as it will charge faster and not much more to deal with. Ours is light weight, folds and stores easily in its travel case, it is easy to set up, just clamp on to battery posts, and we store in the AS under the table, leaning against back wall while traveling. We secure with a cable and combination lock when we are leaving area. We also installed the "permanent" cable connection with a quick disconnect, which comes with the unit, if you want a faster connection process. We also purchased the Champion 2000W inverter generator this past summer to use when we are not able to use sun power. For our needs, this combination is working well. Nice thing about "portable" choices, you can take with you when you upgrade to your next AS!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Torrance , California
I started with a Harbor freight system only 45 watts, not sure if the supplied controller actually was doing anything for the system. Pretty small wires but it was $120

I have since upgraded to 2 60watt USED panels I picked up on Craigslist. The guy I bought them from was an installer and would cherry pick the panels that he was taking down if referring a system. Got the two panels for something like $80, yeah they are a couple of years old but the output is still within 5% of specs. Made my own aluminum channel frame and legs which all bolt together NO welding and also serves as a system to hold the two panels in a compact package for travel.

Upgraded my controller (Progressive Dynamics) to properly charge the batteries and mounted it in the trailer.

Keeps my batteries charged better than the old univolt hooked up to shore power!

I went the route of DIY to save money over the Zamp systems I was looking at. Picked up the metal at a local supplier ($18-$20) and did all the work with hand tools- about 4-5 hours with "design as you go" plans....

The 25' of cable and connectors I got from a local "electronics" store (you could try Radio Shack) for around $40. I used 50 amp connectors which is WAY overkill but I liked the "feel" of the connectors over the less amp ones.

Of course you need to know how to solder and have the proper equipment and tools to tackle the DIY route.
1970 Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
We have used a Renogy 100w panel as a recharger and found that it was not enough to fully recharge the house batteries with hazy sun after running the furnace fan for most of the night with lows of 20 degrees and the thermostat set at 45 inside. It was a slow buildup with the 100-watt panel, and would have taken all day of good sun. With the next night showing even lower temperatures, we retreated to full hookups.

On our next boondocking outing with three nights with lows at 19 or 20, we used a Little Buddy catalytic heater to supplement the furnace. This kept the interior at 50 degrees until it used up the propane bottle at about 3 AM, then the furnace only had to run a much shorter time until morning and the sun brought above-freezing temperatures. This time we also had a generator, so that's what we used to recharge since we had rally events programmed during the day and couldn't have shifted the panel around for best sun. However, the Renogy probably would have done the job if we had been around to run it all day, since there was not as much charge to rebuild and full sun available. More than 100 watts would have been very useful to minimize the recharge time, however. The panel does need to be realigned every hour or so to set an angle both up/down and east/west to keep the panel within 80% or so of the maximum charge available for the atmospheric conditions and sun angle at the time.

The Renogy 100w Suitcase panel is compact and convenient to store, is designed specifically for recharging batteries and has a 3-stage charger. Two of them for 200w would come close to taking the space and weight of a small generator and the fuel to run it, however. We kept it right next to the batteries using the relatively short cables that come with the unit, so I'm not sure if a heavier gauge wire would have made much difference, but it might have, and certainly would for a longer run. It would be tricky to set it on top of the trailer - a special installation of some sort would be required to secure it, plus a lower-gauge wire extension cable as others have mentioned.

The nice thing about using the generator to recharge the batteries next morning is that it also runs the electric coffeemaker or the toaster, little conveniences we have gotten used to in full-timing. Not wonderful in the wilderness, but when everyone around is running them an hour or two in the morning in these subfreezing conditions, you can hardly hear our little Honda 2000.
Pat.Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
Pat,
You could certainly benefit from another 100w panel. A furnace is a pretty big draw. The one in our 19' draws about 3 amps. 10 hours over night x 3 amps =30 amp hours. Assuming your insulation was poor the heat loss would let the furnace run almost constantly. A 100 w panel in full sun can produce between 5 and 6 amps. 30 amps / 5 = 6 hours recharge time in full sun. Two panels would make a big improvement during the bulk charge phase. Also no noise or fuel required. Pull out the Honda for cloudy days. 100 watt panel is about 17lbs.
Russ
Old 01-16-2017, 04:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Forget the suitcase just get a couple of the flexible panels. There just 5 lbs. And they don't break and are flat enough to store anywhere.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
Forget the suitcase just get a couple of the flexible panels. There just 5 lbs. And they don't break and are flat enough to store anywhere.
What brand do you recommend?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I don't think brand matters that much. Look for the best efficiency you can get. These panels aren't going to get the abuse of the ones mounted to the roof with people walking on them ice and snow branches etc.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
I don't think brand matters that much. Look for the best efficiency you can get.
What flexable do you have gator? Are you happy with it? What would you buy today?
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
The brand I have isn't available anymore. But a quick look reveals several sources on Amazon as well as Go Power. There is more than one review on them, so if your looking for what other think that would be a good start. As I mentioned if you are not leaving them out in the winter where ice and snow can damage them and if you're not walking on them etc. They will have a much easier life. Most of the complaints are that flex panels have their plastic coating damaged or that they can't cool down since no air can get to the bottom. That won't be case if you're using then as portable panels. And they store easily under the mattress.