Old 05-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #1

2010 27' FB International
austin , Texas
Cool Recharging Batteries/ transporting portbale generator

I have a 27 ft International which has two 12 volt marine batteries. I just purchased a Yamaha EF 2400 portable generator. What is the best and safest way to recharge the batteries?

Also, what is the best way to transport the generator. Btw, I have a GMC Denaili to pull my travel?

Thanks

Old 05-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
The best/fastest way is to use your onboard 12v converter/charger to charge the batteries by plugging the shore power cable into the generator letting it run. Depending on how low the batteries are and whether you have an upgraded converter or the original Parallax, it may take a couple of hours of runtime to fully charge the batteries.

Several people report being able to use the AC with that generator if they're very careful about load. I suspect that a heavy charging load plus the AC would be a bit much, but it'll certainly run the converter plus vent fans and lights, water pump, etc.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Generators are at their most efficient when loaded to somewhere between 50% and 75% of their rated load.

The best time to charge the batteries is when you're using other appliances that also can run off the generator. Yes, it may take slightly longer to recharge the batteries if you recharge at the same time as you're using the microwave or other appliances, but that is the most efficient time to do it. Not the least reason being that the more you can run off your generator while recharging, the less you're discharging the batteries.

When you're done with the generator at the end of your trip, let it run out of fuel and starve itself off. That way, you don't end up with ethanol gumming up the carburator in between trips.

As for carrying the generator, inside a Denali or inside your trailer is something I can't really answer. I'll defer to others with more experience using portable generators; most of my experience is with installed generators.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Check the measurements on your 2400 Yamaha ..see if an ActionPacker will work to transport.
We carry our 2000i in the AS when traveling using a 24gal AP.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
battery charging

I was surprised at the above comment talking about charging batteries in two hours. With my 2006 Safari with standard original equipment, it takes forever for the generator to charge the batteries with it attached to the normal power cable supplying power to the trailer as a whole. When I want to make best use of my run time with charging, I still attach the normal whole trailer power cable to the generator (so I can use the lights and various electrical appliances) but I also plug in an automotive battery charger to my latest model Yamaha 2000 watt generator so I that can charge at a 10amp rate. That gets the job done. Without it, I think the charging rate is little more than a trickle charger.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermcfrug View Post
I was surprised at the above comment talking about charging batteries in two hours. With my 2006 Safari with standard original equipment, it takes forever for the generator to charge the batteries with it attached to the normal power cable supplying power to the trailer as a whole. When I want to make best use of my run time with charging, I still attach the normal whole trailer power cable to the generator (so I can use the lights and various electrical appliances) but I also plug in an automotive battery charger to my latest model Yamaha 2000 watt generator so I that can charge at a 10amp rate. That gets the job done. Without it, I think the charging rate is little more than a trickle charger.
I don't have a Parallax converter so I'm not sure what its charge rate is. I'm confident that my 45-amp Powermax converter will charge the battery a lot faster than my 12-amp Schumacher.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote