Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Ready to buy generator

Honda 2000 looks like cat's meow. Does 2004 AC unit have slow start feature. Mine is 11kbtu unit 3 settings for cool and one heat option. Would I have issues running at 7000 feet altitude. Another option is 2400 yamaha but towing with jeep leaves storage at minimum. Which model of honda 2000's do you suggest. One unit has prong hookups other just 110 plugs
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Some have indicated that the air conditioner will run on one Yamaha 2400. I am sure someone that has experience with Yamaha's will provide further info.

If you decide to buy the Honda 2000, you will probably need two generators. However, if you camp at 7,000 feet, you may not need the air conditioner; in which case, one unit would suffice.

Personally, I'd buy the "Companion" with the RV type connector. That unit costs a little more, but the inverter is higher capacity and designed for parallel operation (connecting two Honda 2000's together) for more power and to run the air conditioner. If you only buy one, the Companion will have the RV connector that is compatible with the OEM shore power cable, via an inexpensive adapter plug. Note: This plug usually comes with the (optional) parallel kit for joining two generators, or you can purchase one separately for a couple of dollars.

Then, if you decide that you need the air conditioner, you can purchase the second Honda 2000 (with standard 110 outlets), at a later date. If you camp mostly in the spring and fall, and above 5,000 feet in the summer, you may not need the second generator.

We purchased and carry both, but use only one most of the time, as we rarely camp where an air conditioner is needed. The second generator is a backup, which we sometimes share with a neighbor when group camping.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I have a Yamaha 2400 that runs the 15000 BTU A/C with no problem. I previously used it on my SOB 13500 A/C. The times I have used the Yamaha with the A/C have been at no greater than 1500 ft ASL. I have used it to run the microwave around 6000 ft though.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote