Old 02-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Questions about WBCCI Generator Article

This months magazine discusses "grounding" Honda Generators specifically the 2000's while in tandem. They discuss connecting the generator to a ground.

• Could someone kindly explain the how's, what's and where you find this "ground" to attach to?
  • The proper method to ground the generator(s). When you are using one (1) 2000 and then when you have two (2) in tandem.
  • I believe with the connector kit you attach right and left and then to the "grounds" on each genny when in tandem. (I just got my second 2000 and read the book I don't remember reading about getting shocked.)
It sounds like you can really get shocked and that the AS becomes a potential hazard if you touch when everything is wet.

Thanks in advance!

WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I haven't seen the WBCCI article.

In general, though, the shore power cable and tandem cables should take care of bonding everything together for you.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
This months magazine discusses "grounding" Honda Generators specifically the 2000's while in tandem. They discuss connecting the generator to a ground.

• Could someone kindly explain the how's, what's and where you find this "ground" to attach to?
  • The proper method to ground the generator(s). When you are using one (1) 2000 and then when you have two (2) in tandem.
  • I believe with the connector kit you attach right and left and then to the "grounds" on each genny when in tandem. (I just got my second 2000 and read the book I don't remember reading about getting shocked.)
It sounds like you can really get shocked and that the AS becomes a potential hazard if you touch when everything is wet.

Thanks in advance!
Haven't read the article yet...haven't seen my BB yet for this month

But to ground a generator you can drive a short rod into the ground and clip the ground cable(s) to that. Depending on the tandem set up it may or may not ground between the units. You can ground both units to the same ground rod, or ground one and then run a jumper cable between the grounds. FWIW shocks from ungrounded generators are rare, but I wonder if the all metal ungrounded Airstream would change that.

I currently work at a Dupont jobsite (safety nannies extraordinaire) and they no longer have the generator grounding requirements. It may be because the building we are working on has steel 12' in the ground?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
I appreciate the help...

Good it sounded to involved to me...in the article.

L.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
My recollection, without looking again, is the article addresses the point that neither 120 volt wire at the plug on the Honda is grounded.. A normal electric circuit has one wire, the neutral, at ground potential. A modification was suggested. Haven't done it so no recommendation from here

The Blue Beret is available on line at http://www.wbcci.org/index.cfm?pageSRC=General_Info
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
beware the source of your information

See this clarification on this issue, excellent writing and explanation on question of grounding or bonding neutrals on gensets. One thing he does very well in this article, unlike some others, is citing references and providing supporting references. Really helps if you want to validate information, evaluate applicability to your particular situation.

Be Safe,
Jim

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
See this clarification on this issue, excellent writing and explanation on question of grounding or bonding neutrals on gensets. One thing he does very well in this article, unlike some others, is citing references and providing supporting references. Really helps if you want to validate information, evaluate applicability to your particular situation.

Be Safe,
Jim
Good article referenced here. As it states, anyone who recommends ground to neutral bonding on Honda generators hasn't a clue how they work.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
A vendor for Progressive Industries' EMS (a voltage, frequency, polarity and ground sensing device to connect and d/c shore power) advised us last week at FL state rally to jumper ground to neutral to overcome the EMS no-ground fault when powered by our inverter generators (Never mind you could simply hit a switch to bypass the EMS when on portable generator).

I stated the inadvisability of altering the generator with consequent risks of allowing trailer shell to conduct leakage current from neutral side if connected to ground side. Vendor worked all this out though. Simply jumper neutral and ground in your 30 amp to 15 amp adapter, he said, then EMS will not see fault conditions.

Bad idea, maybe Progressive Industries will guide him soon.

regards, Jim http://dreamstreamr.com

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Does grounding minimize radio interference? I have 3000 Yamaha inverter gen and it interferes with AM radio 20 feet or more from the trailer.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Generator Facts

Want to get on this thread.

My question is:
I have a 7000kw genset on the Clipper that I thought would be a good backup for my home if we had an extended power outage.
I installed the disconnect transfer power box in house, to power the fridge and furnace,(one at a time) but when I tried to connect the AUX. from the Airstream, the breaker activated.
I have not tried again as I did not want to damage my unit with an unnecessary experiment.
Has the ground setup on the AUX. on the Airstream a possible problem here????

Dave
Old 02-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
A friend of mine who is a Chief in his volunteer FD told me how they ground their generators at scenes. They have a metal plate that they drive a vehicle tire over. There is a wire from the plate to the ground attachment on the generator. His department is in a suburban area and don't drive ground stakes into the ground.

Mark