Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Questions about the Honda Generator 2000i Combo

Hello!

My husband and I just purchased a new 28'W Flying Cloud. We just had our walk-through yesterday. So exciting!

After reading these forums, we have decided to purchase the Honda EU2000i Inverter Generator Combo Package which includes the RV Adapter and Parallel Cable Kit

Right now, Wisesales has it priced at $2139.
http://www.wisesales.com/

We have questions about this:

1) Is Wisesales a good company? I've never heard of them before, so I'm wondering if anybody has had any bad experience with them.

2) Is this the best price on the internet right now? Can you recommend any other shopping sites where this can be purchased. Or a local business maybe? We live in the Seattle area.

3) From what we understand, these generators cannot be stored or used in the AS. Any recommendations on how to keep the generators safe from theft? locks? cables? etc?

We'd also appreciate any other advice you can give us about this topic.

Thank you!!
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I got mine there. Good service on delivery. Since I live close and could walk in, free shipping was of no interest to me. They offered to pay my 7% sales tax if I picked it up in lieu of the free shipping.

Easy transaction. The combo came with the parallel cable and oil. They have been serving the RV market for some time.

Honda makes a hardened handle cover which when combined with a GOOD cable lock will deter the casual thief. I store mine in 2 rubbermaid Action Packer (22 gallon, IIRC) plastic boxes.

If you use the search function in the blue bar at the top of the page and type "Honda eu2000i" in the GOOGLE field, you will get answers to all your questions...and more.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Wisesales is a reputable company. In general, the regular Honda eu2000i cost about $900 and the Companion version costs about $1000 ... give or take. The parallel cables (to connect the regular model with the companion model) cost about $40 and the adapters you'll need you can get for around $20. You do not necessarily have to buy the generators as a set if you don't want to. We bought our 2 separately from different dealers and a different times (once we decided we really did want a 2nd one for the air conditioner).

I believe the Rubbermaid tote that fits is the 24 gallon...that's for one generator. We use one Rubbermaid tote to hold one generator and all the cables, a few tools, adapters and the cables, and then travel with the other with just a cover on it.

You should have at least a 15-amp-to-30-amp adapter and a 30-amp with a male twist & turn side to fit into the Companion model and to accept your rig's male 30-amp shore power cord...

Paralleling is very easy with this set-up. If you have two standard 2000s you can parallel them but you will need a parallel box affair...that is bulkier and costs more that the Companion cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Action Packer 24gal.png
Views:	215
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	182729  
Attached Images

AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
We bought a Honda 2000i and 2000 companion at different times. We bought one from Wisesales and the other from Mayberrys. Both are good companies with similar prices. I can't remember why we did not buy both from the same dealer. If buying today I would buy from one of these two companies again.

We carry our two generators in the bed of our truck with cable locks locked to the bed of the truck. We keep them out of site because they are expensive and easy for someone to steal. In use we keep them locked to a tree or some other fixed object.

On another note: we only use non-ethanol gasoline in the generators. Ethanol gas tends to gum up the fuel systems on small engines faster than non-ethanol gas. I also believe that Wisesales and Mayberrys recommends that you use at least 89 octane gas in the generators. Don't let the same gas sit in the generators for months at a time. Old gas will cause fuel system problems.

The Honda 2000 generators are great. We have found ours perform better with Econ Mode turned off when running the Heat Pump with the generators.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I purchased the "Honda Set" from Wise and they showed up at the house when they said they would. I also installed the steel reinforcement handles on both units.

You might consider the two sets of carburetor jets which are altitude specific for when you are traveling out West. The metal oil filler funnel is very handy and I like the metal oil dip sticks better than the stock plastic ones.

I already had a power cord with the 30A 120V twist lock.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
All Honda dealers set their own retail prices. Big online dealers like Wise and Mayberrys are very competitive, but you may wish to double-check with your local Honda dealer. They will charge sales tax, but may offer a competitive net cost, plus the bonus of establishing a relationship with a local independent business that is eager to have you as a nearby customer.

FYI, ALL Honda dealers will honor any repair/service requests. Nearly all will gladly provide you service and warranty work even if you didn't buy it from them.

Might be worth make a few phone calls and see what deal you can make. Here's a link to find local Honda dealers (just check off GENERATORS and enter your ZIP code):

Find A Honda Dealer
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Honda also offers no interest financing, which can be enticing.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Purchased 2 of the 2000's from Wise, and would do again. Get the Companion model. You will have to cut the interior of the top on the Rubbermaid container to accommodate the bigger cap on the newer models. If you get the Companion model you can plug directly into the gen-set. You can then pick up a second 2000 and use the cheap parallel cables to tie them together. I also have a 3000 with wireless remote start and shutdown I use on my boat, it is heavier but really a nice gen-set and will handle the AC load without an issue.

BTW look on eBay they have all manner of aftermarket accessories for the Honda generators.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Thanks everyone for the information! I really do appreciate it.

There's another website which sells the generators for less. The site is Mayberrys and it was recommended here on these forums.

They sell them separately for about $150 less than WiseSales, but it didn't include the kit, which I believe sells for $60. So it is still cheaper.

Not sure about Mayberrys though. Yesterday, their site was down for maintenance (which I understand). It was up and running this morning. But now it's down again with the 404.0 Not Found message. So is this a trustworthy site?

Thanks again.
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
+1 for Wise I picked mine up from store since I live within driving distance. I use only premium fuel.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Good Advice.....

[QUOTE=robert@honda;1283286]All Honda dealers set their own retail prices. Big online dealers like Wise and Mayberrys are very competitive, but you may wish to double-check with your local Honda dealer.]

I've been watching prices lately looking to buy and although I didn't want a matched pair, I figured it couldn't hurt to check around locally to see what they would do on price for one. This afternoon I brought home a 2000i and the 12 volt charging cable for less than the price of the generator alone on the Wise site. No reflection on Wise, seems they have lots of satisfied customers but the first Honda dealer I talked to made me that deal. YMMV..
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I just purchased a Honda 2000 at Camping World for $949.00. That's the best price I have found.
Question...for security, can anyone weigh in on cable vs. case hardened chain for anti-theft?
Thank you,

Ron
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I live in Yakima, WA and bought the pair at Coastal Farm and Ranch a little over a year ago. They were on sale for about $1800, which include the parrallel kit.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
I have dealt with both Weis and Mayberry, both were good to deal with.. If your at Alumafandango in Oregon this summer looik us up and I show you how I have mine rigged for ez operation and carry.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
I just purchased a Honda 2000 at Camping World for $949.00. That's the best price I have found.
Question...for security, can anyone weigh in on cable vs. case hardened chain for anti-theft?
Thank you,

Ron
A good pair of bolt cutters will do either in. I have used the bolt cutters to cut both. So, either will be as effective at keeping your neighbors honest.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Related...I was visiting a Honda mower dealer out in California years ago. He had just finished assembling a couple of commercial mowers, and rolled them outside and proceeded to haphazardly spray them with ugly flat-black paint. He then sprinkled them with a little sand and dirt, and told his shop guy to let 'em dry for an hour a deliver to the customer.

When he saw the astonished look on my face, he explained: Brand new, shiny red/silver Honda mowers wouldn't last a day on the back of a landscaper's truck. But nasty/dirty flat-black-painted mowers that look like hell wouldn't get a second look. "Trashing" simply hid the fact they were real Honda mowers and keep 'em from getting stolen.

Ironically, you can now buy an EU2000i in a genuine RealTree camo pattern.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Robert,

I need to have my equipment looking good...just like my Airstream! Maybe I'll just get a bigger chain! :-)
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote