Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob View Post
The start up is where the extra power is needed.
Moving a mass from a stop is greater than keeping it moving.
Or think of surge capacity.
No, I get that, but it seems to have enough startup capacity to do the job, at least on my 11000 a/c. But now I'm considering the 2800 for a little more power, and more running time.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
Yes, your website does say that. I notice it says "rv a/c" while my reference just says "a/c" units. That may be the difference. In the video they show a portable standup a/c unit like one for a construction job. Not the same as an rv unit.

Has anyone considered the next model...the Yamaha EF2800i? Just a couple hundred more, but more power, longer running and actually lighter/smaller than the 2400. It is a little louder, probably because it has a frame, but no case. On the application chart it shows it capable of running a 13500 a/c, but not the 2400! On the surface it looks like a better buy. Anyone bought one?
I have had a Yamaha 2800i and a Honda 2000i for several years now. I bring the Yamaha camping when I think I might need the air conditioner, otherwise I bring the Honda 2000i. I have been very happy with both of them. I also used them when we lost power at home from hurricanes or storms. wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:19 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2016 27' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Flying Cloud
Cedar Radids , Iowa
I apologize for not posting a photo of my installation in my F350 Ford. I haven't yet figured out how to atttach a photo into this reply. However, I did update my profile and did attach a photo in one of the sections. The EU3000 sits in the rear corner on my elevated platform that I built several years ago for my 99 F350. For years, I had 5th wheels with built-in generators. 5 years ago I sold my Hitchhiker and bought a smaller toy hauler used, also with a built-in Onan 2800 generator. It was noisy, but did what I needed it to. I put close to 300 hours on it in 4 years. So, when I finally bit the bullet and purchased my first Airstream, I knew that I would need to figure out something for interim power. Twice yearly, I travel a 5 state area selling golf apparel to golf courses, country clubs, and corporate accounts. When it's hot, I need to run the air to keep the buyers in a buying mood. So, I have to run the air. Likewise, when it gets real cold, I run the heat pump intially to warm the inside quickly, then switch over to the furnace. When I switched to a trailer/bumper pull, I immediately built a 'truck vault' with 2 - 8' pull out drawers to compensate for the loss of storage space the 5th wheels offered. Sometime later I will post the specs and photos for that installation. With the platform now over the boxes, I carpeted it with a commercial grade style and then put 2 dog crates up front, so my 2 German Shorthaired Pointers could travel with me. They act as guards when I leave the truck & trailer unattened. When I do so, I usually put the 2 side windows up or at least have the slider windows open for ventilation. Now with the Honda tucked in the rear corner, I positioned the exhaust towards the rear and always park into the wind to avoid having the dogs get sick. So far, it's worked great. Had two back to back 95 degrees days, and the Honda is still running on the original tank of gas. Hope these photo attachments work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120508-00086.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	157966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Central-20120429-00075.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	157967  

Iowa Bumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Iowa Bumpa,
I have a similar set up with my generators. in the back of my Tundra To get exhaust or heat out of the bed of the truck I place a small fan positioned in such a way that the airflow will vent the fumes and provide additional cooling for the generator. I plug the fan into the generator outlet. I leave the tailgate open and have the generators chained in place. This has worked effectively for many years. wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #45
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I agree with the discussion seen above regarding the starting power needed to power the AC units. I mentioned earlier that my Honda 2500w is not adaquate to run my "older" 13,500 btu AC unit. I did play around with it and that's the basis for my opinion. Plugged in and with generator running if I turn my AC to cool it immediately blows the breaker. Trying again and going first to low fan, then to high fan the generator was doing just fine. Now switching to low cool you could hear the compressor turn on and seems to be working. Switching to high cool also seems to be OK. Cold air and the compressor working. Now I didn't run it long enough to have the compressor cycle off and back on. I think that would become a problem but with it still running for about 20 minutes and blowing cold air nicely I found the cable and plug to be very, very warm. Not melting warm but well on the way. Thus my opinion that the 2500w unit is not adaquate to run the AC. And also supports my agreement with the posts regarding needing more power to start the compressor from stationary. Now, newer more efficient units may blow my opinions out of the water so this is simply my experience using my unit.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I agree with the discussion seen above regarding the starting power needed to power the AC units. I mentioned earlier that my Honda 2500w is not adaquate to run my "older" 13,500 btu AC unit. I did play around with it and that's the basis for my opinion. Plugged in and with generator running if I turn my AC to cool it immediately blows the breaker. Trying again and going first to low fan, then to high fan the generator was doing just fine. Now switching to low cool you could hear the compressor turn on and seems to be working. Switching to high cool also seems to be OK. Cold air and the compressor working. Now I didn't run it long enough to have the compressor cycle off and back on. I think that would become a problem but with it still running for about 20 minutes and blowing cold air nicely I found the cable and plug to be very, very warm. Not melting warm but well on the way. Thus my opinion that the 2500w unit is not adaquate to run the AC. And also supports my agreement with the posts regarding needing more power to start the compressor from stationary. Now, newer more efficient units may blow my opinions out of the water so this is simply my experience using my unit.
The cable/plug aren't going to be cooler because you get a larger generator. The heat is a result of the current passing through them. More current...more heat. Get better cables.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146 View Post
I have had a Yamaha 2800i and a Honda 2000i for several years now. I bring the Yamaha camping when I think I might need the air conditioner, otherwise I bring the Honda 2000i. I have been very happy with both of them. I also used them when we lost power at home from hurricanes or storms. wolf146
Thanks for the reply. I am now looking at the Yamaha EF2800i tri fuel version sold by US Carburetion. I am puzzled, tho, why they do not include it in a list tagged to run 13,500 btu rv a/cs, but do include the EF2400iSHC, which has more amps???

Yamaha Propane and Natural Gas Generators
Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Colchester , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146
How quiet is the 2800? That would be my only concern. It does sound like a nice combo/pkg.
Jeff
jchodgdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I have a Yamaha 2800 and it is very quiet. I would not run my 13,500 A/C with it.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #50
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Rich.
I agree a better cable would be in order if I was to use it on a regular basis but I still think the heat was a factor of the draw. This past March we were traveling in Florida. I was using the same generator with the same 12 ga. cable. Without using AC the power draw did not cause any heating of the cables at all. Fortunately the weather was cool enough and AC was not in play. And would not be in play with this generator but for keeping the batteries up and watching a movie on TV it worked great.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #51

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Hi Rich.
I agree a better cable would be in order if I was to use it on a regular basis but I still think the heat was a factor of the draw. This past March we were traveling in Florida. I was using the same generator with the same 12 ga. cable. Without using AC the power draw did not cause any heating of the cables at all. Fortunately the weather was cool enough and AC was not in play. And would not be in play with this generator but for keeping the batteries up and watching a movie on TV it worked great.
NEC requires 10 awg cable for carrying no more than 30a loads, I think. 25' 30A cords always seem to be 10 awg, so while it's a "factor of the draw" that you were about to slag your 12 awg extension cord, using a suitable cord might allow you to run your AC on your current generator without problems. Watch the voltage in the trailer with the AC on and off with a 10awg cord (or better yet, with your trailer's shore power cord plugged in directly) and see how it performs.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Hi Rich.
I just bought a "contractors" cable that is 10 gauge, with a 20 amp-type plug end (one blade turned sideways). Works great, and the highest draw so far is 17 amps with a/c and refrig running. Without a/c it drops to almost nothing or 1 or 2 amps when the refrig compressor is running. The cord is noticeably cooler than the 12 was (or was it a 14, I'm not sure?) Both cords are 100 feet. I upgraded my outside gcfi outlet to the 20 amp type, and changed the breaker from 15 amp to 30. I still need to upgrade the two wires in the box to 10 gauge, but otherwise I am set. Even with my house a/c running I can run my AS a/c all day with no problem.

If you draw excessive current through an undersized extension over time it will slowly fry, become brittle and turn into a fire hazard. Be careful. Just because you don't feel it, doesn't mean it isn't heating up the insulation from the inside, breaking it down. Then moisture can get in and you have a short to earth ground. Say your house burns down, the fire insurance inspector finds the undersized extension cord...would they deny coverage?? Only if they could. Not worth it. The cord cost me about $136 at Lowe's, but much cheaper than rebuilding my house.

Maybe none of that will happen. Maybe you will just trip a breaker. But my 15 amp breaker withstood 17 amps for several hours without tripping. Why take the risk?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
OK, here we are going on almost a year later. Finally made a decision and ordered a tri-fuel version of the Yamaha 2400iSHC generator. Only waited this long because I haven't done any dry camping yet with my AS. That will change next month so thought I better get with it.

The final deciding factor between the 2400 and the 2800 was the noise level. 2400 seems to be significantly quieter, although it is lighter, smaller and has more power. But I know running a generator at night is frowned upon and there may be times I want to try and get away with that so I can run my ac at night.

Creature comforts rule.

Now the wait for delivery from USCarb.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I often run my genset overnight when dry-camping in the summer. I don't typically dry-camp where there's anyone within several hundred yards of me, so it's never been a problem. And I can't even hear it from inside the trailer, over the AC fan.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Good point. But I will probably go with other people, so its a consideration. Of course if its superhot they will most likely be running their ac also. Or I can invite them in to cool off. lol
Old 05-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
new thread for EF2400

Got my Yamaha and today I am breaking it in. Since this thread is about a different generator I started a new one at

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ml#post1293476

for anyone who is interested.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1400208421.325642.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	806.1 KB
ID:	212005 we use this generator. Works well !
JacobMerridy is offline   Reply With Quote