Old 07-31-2005, 04:40 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I'm guessing 28 hours per 20 LB tank, based on the fact that the EU2000i can run in eco throttle mode for up to 9 hours on a gallon of gas. I have not needed to run mine for more than an hour or two since the conversion.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:25 PM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
no foolin

Thats quite a while considering I would mainly be using it to recharge. thanks

Rodney

Old 08-09-2005, 09:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Yamaha 2400is generator with Propane/Nat Gas Conversion

Well it's been a long time coming but finally our yamaha generator is on its way. In between the time we originally ordered the yamaha 3000 w/ boost and the time they started to work on it (was backordered for several weeks) the 2400 came out. We read several reviews and decided that the weight issue (only 70 lbs.) and the positive reviews from Hayes Equipment were enough to convince us to switch.

Being a new generator US Carb had to make a new conversion kit for it which delayed the order longer. The good news is that the generator will arrive tomorrow via UPS and should give us some time to play with it before we head off again for another rally. We'll let you know how it handles the 13,500 Dometic AC. Here is the website to US Carb and the 2400is http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-ga...m/ef2400is.htm
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:35 AM   #18

Port Charlotte , Florida
Were you ever able to try this generator with your A/C?

I'm curious how it worked -
Old 12-14-2005, 08:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Thumbs up Yamaha 2400 w/ propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres in FL
Were you ever able to try this generator with your A/C?

I'm curious how it worked -
It seems to work fine with the a.c. and a limited number of lights and t.v. We need to switch off the a.c. if we are running the microwave. Also, something we do even when we are running on 30 amp is to run the hot water heater and fridge on propane when we are using the a.c. otherwise it will trip the breaker in the coach. We brought it to the Region I Rally in Quebec and gave a quick demo using a orbital polisher. People were impressed with how quiet it was and that the fumes were minimal.

The nice thing with the propane is that we can leave the genset chained in the bed of the truck and run it with the back hatch of the cap open protecting it from the weather and theft, it also minimizes noise for surrounding campers. All in all we are very pleased with the set up and are glad that we only have to carry one source of fuel to run our generator, grill, and fire pit. If it were warmer out I'd go out and take a few pics but you can easily see what it looks like by going to the uscarb site mentioned earlier in this thread.
TAC #MA-4
Old 12-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
Did you get the Bi-fuel or Tri-fuel version, if you didn't get the Tri-fuel can you explain why as I see they are priced the same and it gives you more fuel options. Thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 01:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
We got the tri-fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamp
Did you get the Bi-fuel or Tri-fuel version, if you didn't get the Tri-fuel can you explain why as I see they are priced the same and it gives you more fuel options. Thanks
We originally ordered it in the bi-fuel (natural gas/propane) set-up but when it came it was the tri-fuel (natural gas/propane/gasoline). We called USCarb to ask why and they said they were having trouble with the bi-fuel system so they were installing tri-fuel. When we ordered this conversion kit the 2400 had just come out so they were making some modifications to accomodate the new generator.

We had wanted the bi-fuel because we never anticipated using it with gasoline. We already have to carry propane for the grill, etc. and thought it'd be easier having one fuel source. Using gas also has its headaches, I don't want to go out and start it up every month to prevent the gas from gumming up. You also have to do some adjustments to the generator when you change to a different fuel type to get it to run smoothly. I like the fact that we can go out and hook it up to the propane tank and start it when we need it. Hope this helps.
TAC #MA-4
Old 12-14-2005, 03:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
The Tri Fuel "introduces" the propane (I believe w/a small adapter) between the carb & the airfilter, and basically leaves the carb alone. The Bi-Fuel connects the propane (or Nat Gas) directly to the carb and requires you to permanently modify the carb (by drilling out a jet or something similar, haven't done it myself, just had it explained to me). Seems like the bi-fuel would perform better but I haven't any experience or knowledge of this. Anyway, the Tri-Fuel allows you to convert it back to gasoline if necessary. If you wanted to convert your Bi-Fuel you'd have to get a replacement carburator. Here's a helpful link:
http://www.uscarb.com/a-c_kits.htm

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #23
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I've been very interested in this and other generator threads - I think I am going to go with M&M Capecod, bite the bullet and get the Yamaha tri-fuel. As I have a diesel tv, I really don't want to mess with gas if I don't have to.

A question: How well does it charge your battery when you just have the gen plugged in to your shore connection? My battery is pretty inconvenient to get to.

Thanks - Pat.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #24
_

. , .
pat

one battery or two? i use the honda with 2 agm batteries and it takes them form 40% to 85% in about 70-90 minutes depending on temp and what other current draws are in use. getting the batteries fully charged (that last 10-15%) can take several more hours with a generator and it really isn't useful to push those last few bits of amps/volts anyway, with a generator.

of course the factory metering is not real precise....so you need a better voltmeter or should test sp gravity on lead acid batteries, if you want more precise measures on charge level.

there are several threads here where folks have reported generator charging experience/times....

cheers
2air'
Old 01-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #25
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks, 2air.

I only have one battery (and really, only room for one in that small compartment). I think you were saying that you did not charge your batteries directly from the generator 12-v outlet, but that you connected to the generator via your shore connection, and let your converter do the charging?

Thanks - Pat.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:56 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Thanks, 2air.

I only have one battery (and really, only room for one in that small compartment). I think you were saying that you did not charge your batteries directly from the generator 12-v outlet, but that you connected to the generator via your shore connection, and let your converter do the charging?

Thanks - Pat.
I looked at the older Safari "A" frames and looking at the configuration, it would seem like a fairly straight forward modification to convert the late 90s, early 00s that had a single battery to the dual battery. The largest part would be getting the box welded to the "A" frame. From there it would be just a few battery cables, but no modification to the cables going into the Safari.

If you boondock as much as we do, might not be a bad investment. I really like having the two batteries. I got around a weeks worth of power without any charging with moderate use.

M&M CAPECOD, what size A/C unit do you have that the Yamaha powers so well. I think I know what you'll say, but still a part of me would hope you said 15k BTU unit.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Duo Therm 13,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
M&M CAPECOD, what size A/C unit do you have that the Yamaha powers so well. I think I know what you'll say, but still a part of me would hope you said 15k BTU unit.
Sorry Twink, it's not a 15k, it's a 13,500 Duo Therm. I don't know if anyone out there has tried it with a 15k, I'd be interested to hear if they had.
TAC #MA-4
Old 01-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #28
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I kinda thunk it. Glad to see the Yamaha solo would drive a 13.5k though.....

....there is a 31' 2005 Classic Dinette with a 13.5k unit on blowout.