Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2005, 12:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
We got the tri-fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamp
Did you get the Bi-fuel or Tri-fuel version, if you didn't get the Tri-fuel can you explain why as I see they are priced the same and it gives you more fuel options. Thanks
We originally ordered it in the bi-fuel (natural gas/propane) set-up but when it came it was the tri-fuel (natural gas/propane/gasoline). We called USCarb to ask why and they said they were having trouble with the bi-fuel system so they were installing tri-fuel. When we ordered this conversion kit the 2400 had just come out so they were making some modifications to accomodate the new generator.

We had wanted the bi-fuel because we never anticipated using it with gasoline. We already have to carry propane for the grill, etc. and thought it'd be easier having one fuel source. Using gas also has its headaches, I don't want to go out and start it up every month to prevent the gas from gumming up. You also have to do some adjustments to the generator when you change to a different fuel type to get it to run smoothly. I like the fact that we can go out and hook it up to the propane tank and start it when we need it. Hope this helps.
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
The Tri Fuel "introduces" the propane (I believe w/a small adapter) between the carb & the airfilter, and basically leaves the carb alone. The Bi-Fuel connects the propane (or Nat Gas) directly to the carb and requires you to permanently modify the carb (by drilling out a jet or something similar, haven't done it myself, just had it explained to me). Seems like the bi-fuel would perform better but I haven't any experience or knowledge of this. Anyway, the Tri-Fuel allows you to convert it back to gasoline if necessary. If you wanted to convert your Bi-Fuel you'd have to get a replacement carburator. Here's a helpful link:
http://www.uscarb.com/a-c_kits.htm

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:31 PM   #23
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I've been very interested in this and other generator threads - I think I am going to go with M&M Capecod, bite the bullet and get the Yamaha tri-fuel. As I have a diesel tv, I really don't want to mess with gas if I don't have to.

A question: How well does it charge your battery when you just have the gen plugged in to your shore connection? My battery is pretty inconvenient to get to.

Thanks - Pat.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:11 PM   #24
_

. , .
pat

one battery or two? i use the honda with 2 agm batteries and it takes them form 40% to 85% in about 70-90 minutes depending on temp and what other current draws are in use. getting the batteries fully charged (that last 10-15%) can take several more hours with a generator and it really isn't useful to push those last few bits of amps/volts anyway, with a generator.

of course the factory metering is not real precise....so you need a better voltmeter or should test sp gravity on lead acid batteries, if you want more precise measures on charge level.

there are several threads here where folks have reported generator charging experience/times....

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #25
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks, 2air.

I only have one battery (and really, only room for one in that small compartment). I think you were saying that you did not charge your batteries directly from the generator 12-v outlet, but that you connected to the generator via your shore connection, and let your converter do the charging?

Thanks - Pat.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:56 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Thanks, 2air.

I only have one battery (and really, only room for one in that small compartment). I think you were saying that you did not charge your batteries directly from the generator 12-v outlet, but that you connected to the generator via your shore connection, and let your converter do the charging?

Thanks - Pat.
I looked at the older Safari "A" frames and looking at the configuration, it would seem like a fairly straight forward modification to convert the late 90s, early 00s that had a single battery to the dual battery. The largest part would be getting the box welded to the "A" frame. From there it would be just a few battery cables, but no modification to the cables going into the Safari.

If you boondock as much as we do, might not be a bad investment. I really like having the two batteries. I got around a weeks worth of power without any charging with moderate use.

M&M CAPECOD, what size A/C unit do you have that the Yamaha powers so well. I think I know what you'll say, but still a part of me would hope you said 15k BTU unit.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Duo Therm 13,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
M&M CAPECOD, what size A/C unit do you have that the Yamaha powers so well. I think I know what you'll say, but still a part of me would hope you said 15k BTU unit.
Sorry Twink, it's not a 15k, it's a 13,500 Duo Therm. I don't know if anyone out there has tried it with a 15k, I'd be interested to hear if they had.
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #28
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I kinda thunk it. Glad to see the Yamaha solo would drive a 13.5k though.....

....there is a 31' 2005 Classic Dinette with a 13.5k unit on blowout.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
2011 19' International
2007 25' International CCD FB
Pleasant Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
This conversion is not for the faint of heart. You take the covers off and remove the gas tank and all associated fuel lines to the carburator. You then remove the carb, remove the fuel bowl, then remove the high speed jet. Then, you (gulp!) drill out the passage where the high speed jet was, to 15/64. After that is complete you clean the shavings out, and screw in the new propane jet, remount the carb, and do the rest of the propane plumbing, which includes the carb vapor regulator. Then put it back together and hook
Hello Pick,
I am knee deep in the eu2000i conversion. I have a few questions that the US carb kit does not answer.

Did you remove the fuel tank?
Where did you mount the regulator? The instructions say to mount it outside but yours appears to be inside.

Thanks for any info.

Boatboy
BoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Havelock , North Carolina
I'm wondering if anyone will have problems running on propane during freezing temps. I had a forklift that ran on 33# propane tanks and it used to frost up and quit unless we plugged it in. It had a water circulator that was connected to the engine and once the water in the engine was up to temp it would keep it thawed out. For some reason I would have more trouble just around freezing
nsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
2011 19' International
2007 25' International CCD FB
Pleasant Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatBoy
Hello Pick,
I am knee deep in the eu2000i conversion. I have a few questions that the US carb kit does not answer.

Did you remove the fuel tank?
Where did you mount the regulator? The instructions say to mount it outside but yours appears to be inside.

Thanks for any info.

Boatboy
Update - So I removed the gas tank and the regulator would not cleanly mount anywhere in the interior wall of the generator. So, after scratching my head, I took our my sawzall and cut the gas tank into three parts. I then mounted the regulator in the portion of the gas tank that had the mounting tabs and then remounted the gas tank in the generator. Now, all that is left is some basic plumbing. I will post photos later.

My email to US Carb has gone unanswered but I suspect they are closed for the holiday.
BoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
HI Boatboy,

I've converted 2 Yamahas, an EF1000iS ans an EF2400iS. In both instances, I had to make brackets to hold the Garretson regulator. Just be sure that you can access the primer button at the back of the regulator. You will need to prime the unit before you can start it, as the Garretson is a demand type regulaor and will not allow LP to flow unless the motor is running.

BTW, US Carb is not very good at returning correspondence, as yo probably know by now!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #33
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Great Post!
I have come to the same conclusion that lp conversion is the way to go. I want to use solar but batteries are so heavy. Is there concrete evidence that the Honda is measurably better than the Yamaha or Kipor. Everyone I encountered that had a Honda waw very pleased with their choice. But Yamaha has an excellent reputation and they have a model that comes equiped for LP. I am ready to buy but my reseach says either model is a good buy.
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPorter
Great Post!
I have come to the same conclusion that lp conversion is the way to go. I want to use solar but batteries are so heavy. Is there concrete evidence that the Honda is measurably better than the Yamaha or Kipor. Everyone I encountered that had a Honda waw very pleased with their choice. But Yamaha has an excellent reputation and they have a model that comes equiped for LP. I am ready to buy but my reseach says either model is a good buy.
LRP,

Just my humble opinion.....both Yami and Honda make great products and have many loyal fans here. I would stay away from the Chinese Kipors. They just aren't there yet...and the factory service is virtually non-existent!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #35

Currently Looking...
Utah County , Utah
I've had great success using the propane conversion kits from Central Maine Diesel

My specific experience has been converting the Honda EU2000i to a tri-fuel generator that runs on gasoline, propane or natural gas. I haven't tested the natural gas option but it works great with propane and gasoline.

I've done this conversion for a good number of people on almost a dozen generators and that's only because the kit that comes back from CMD is easy to install and can be done in under an hour if you have the tools (which amount to a drill with a couple different sized bits, hose cutters (shears or scissors), wrenches and a.screwdriver.)

The carborator does need to be modified but CMD will do that for you as part of the kit price, you just have to ship it to them and they will return it modified with the rest of the kit. They will also ship you the whole kit with a carb already modified for $100 core charge and you can keep the unmodified carb in case you want to a spare or send it back to CMD for a refund of the core charge.

For around $200 for the kit it's a great way to go.
ThermalCookr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
CDM Conversion for Honda Eu 2000i

I used the CDM conversion and in the process of removing the carb from the gen. set, I removed the small throttle controller on the top of the carburetor and sent it in for conversion. Well, when it returned, I started to reassemble it but that small controller won't fit. It's unwritten, but if the whole assembly is sent in with this throttle controller, the standoff's that hold the controller have to be modified to fit over the new gas tap and all is well.
After a call, the sales rep said that his tech uses a small dremel tool and removes some plastic for the bottom of that part to make the clearance for the tap. Vo la. A small undercut and I had room to remount the control unit without loosing the small spring that is lash control on it's coupler.($5 spring).
I have a second one to have converted but I'm not sure if I want to find out how to fish out the cable that attaches this small control unit in the generator.????? It runs down and around and into the electrical circuits..Disassembly was intimidating!?
Has anyone done this for the Honda 2000?

Tks,
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote