Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2003, 02:07 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Smily, if you don't mind me asking, what was the cost for the Onan 5500? Everyone, what is the current price for propane down there? We are paying .35CDN/liter up here. I will need to dig up my conversion calculator for USD/US gallon. But I do know this is half what we pay for gasoline at .69CDN/liter, so a propane fired genset seems to be the ticket here . Just curious. Thx.

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:22 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

...okay here goes...carry the 1...take away 6...equals...

$1.02 USD/ US gallon propane
$2.01 USD/ US gallon gasoline (regular unleaded)

Whew, I need to take a nap now!

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 04:52 AM   #23
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
not very useful by todays standards...

airstream has had factory installed generators in the past, propane powered.

this is a photo of one, onan, about 900 watts 12 volt! mid '70's vintage.

would be useful for recharging batteries when boondocking and that is about all!

single cylinder, horizontal. looks like it was borrowed from a lawn mower!

it is mounted street side just behind the wheels.

cool control panel with remote start and run timer in living room.

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	generator.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	3899  
Old 11-21-2003, 06:54 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Atic Fox/Nash place the generator boxed inward, open to the outsided, in the bathroom area wardrobe or closet area. Accessable from the outside and vented outward.
They are not aluminum framed and have a heavier carriage.
However, properly supported and insulated an outward facing generator should be readily doable at the factory. In motorhomes, the smaller generators are either diesel or gas powered, same as the coach. The well placed ones are on wood, both for the sound deafening, then the enclosure is also sound insulated. LP is the logical solution in a TT.
In the meantime, as posted previously, the interium solution is
http://www.aurasystems.com/, especially for a diesel tow.
I have looked at the site completely, including the "white papers." There is no reason that you could not run all of the electrical demands from the tow vehicle with this set up, either gas or diesel (? idling in heat with gas engines) including 15 airconditioner and microwave, simultaneously, while watching the super bowl from the dish, holding a cool one, in a boondocking situation. The tow just idling and creating electrical power. Note that the AuarGen has a remote kill/start. Couple that with remote kill/start on the tow and you never have to leave the AS.
Until AS incorporates a generator, AuaraGen is where I am heading. No separate fuel issues either.
jim
Texas
Old 11-21-2003, 09:46 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
If Airstream was careful about constructing a compartment, and locating it, where exhaust fumes couldn't seep into the trailer, they could certainly have Honda adapt an EU1000 for propane, with proper air cooling for a compartment, and perhaps even an electric starter. Of course, you'd want 40 lb propane bottles on a trailer so equipped.

The converter would have to be limited to about 40-45 amps because the 1000 would have to be derated to maybe 700W continuous, 800W peak, with the lower energy of propane.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:47 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Cost of Propane (LPG)

Finding the best place to purchase propane (actually LPG, true Propane hasn't been sold in years), is much more difficult than pulling into the "cheapest" gasoline station.

The cheapest I have found LPG this year is $1.25/gal., and last month I paid $2.00/gal. (Houston, Texas area.)

How does that compare to the rest of the country?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Jim
I have a 25 gallon manchester propane tank in a DOT approved dog house in the van. The setup uas insalled by a local propane company and ran about 2K. All the connectors are located on the outside of the van. I have a tommy lift on the van which I lower and roll the generator out of the van on the lift and close the doors. I plug a quick disconnect hose into the external propane connector and a quick connector on the generator.
I can start it on from the generator or from the inside of the AS. I plug the AS into the generator which charges the AS batteries and three extra batteries that are in the van. I can plug the van batteries into the AS from anderson connectors that are inside one of the battery boxes and a box mounted at the rear of the van. I use #2/0 welders wire for the battery connectors.
Everything works great. I have 1250 Amp hours or about 600 usuable when boondocking. But I can always recharge whith the 120 amp charger from the prosine inverter using the generator.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 03:28 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Tinsel
Great rig.
Can you grace us with some pictures.
Neat.
jim
Texas
Old 11-21-2003, 09:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Jim
I will take a flick this weekend and post.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:20 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
87MH, Amerigas just charged me $1.81 per gallon to fill the home tank. Local Flying J is at $1.34. Around "here" all of the local propane companies are big cheating, chiseling, ripoffs. Amerigas wants $23 to fill a 30 pounder, yet you can do it at Flying J for around $10.

The local Linde industrial gas dealer had some neat horizontal 40# tanks for around $150. They had a level gauge and big filler.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 11:59 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
Propane EU3000

Three years ago I modified my EU3000 to run as dual fuel, primarily on gas but alternately on propane. Details of the conversion, including pictures, are on my site:
http://www.mswartz.com .
Also, on www.irv2.com I posted several articles on the process and results (search for user mswartz, listing all postings.)

I used a conversion system from Carbturbo.com, and since the installation, I've put over 600 hours on the genset (has an hourmeter) with about 200 of that on propane.

My experience is that the unit works well on propane, but in cold weather (ie, propane tanks below 30°F) the genset can experience fuel starvation under load changes, and I therefore usually run the unit on gasoline when I expect the temperature to be below 40°F.

In warm conditions though, propane operation has run the genset well, reliably allowing the 11kbtu Dometic airconditioner to cycle in its normal modes. I leave the economode switch ON at temperatures over 40°F. and OFF below that.

Lately the price of propane has reached record levels here in SE Massachusetts, costing $20 to fill 30LB tanks last week. Certainly gas is more economical for the delivered BTU, and from the standpoint of operating efficiency for this genset works best.

When I'm on a remote site for awhile with the trailer, I can connect to bulk propane tanks and avoid the gas refills, however.
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote