Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
GammaDog here. You found my post. Nothing new to add. I was amazed that the single QD on the trailer can run two Honda 2000s in parallel with all three stove burners, the fridge and the water heater running at the same time... but it can.

I had another post or three on this subject including the parts for the QD tee and propane consumption rates. Let me know if you need any of that.
I want to use a similar set up to what you used but with one Yamaha 3000 generator. I talked with the guys over at GenConneX as this is what they had to say:

"Sorry but yes, you have a problem indeed. The problem is not just the size
of the quick-disconnect but of the pipe going from your tanks to that quick
disconnect (probably also 1/4id). Both need to be increased in size to 3/8"
to handle the throughput of propane. Otherwise the generator will shut off
or run very poorly under load.

Gary

Sales - GenConneX™Direct"

I'll attach a chart from the US Carburetion website referencing the amount of BTU pulled by generator size.

There is a label next to the LPG which states to not exceed 25,000 BTU. I would prefer to run my generator off the LPG port but concerned about thr 1/4" hose and exceeding the manufactures recommendation of BTU.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	210
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	267973  
TinVenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We attached our 2000 watt Honda with the 30 amp power outlet to the front propane port on our 2015 23D International Serenity. Used a custom 30 amp twist-lok power cord between the generator with the GenConnex kit and our retrofitted 30 amp power inlet on the front of the 23D.

We have the hybrid Magnum MSH-3012 inverter which pulls the added needed current to start the air conditioner. The single generator is thus able to run the air conditioner. The five 100 watt solar panels refresh the 300 amp hour lithium battery and keep it topped off.

The system works well for us.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:23 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Xxxreme: thanks for that table. I have never seen that info.

That data says that the configuration I have tested might not run in theory. I can tell you it does for me in practice. Even with all other LP draws at full (stove, refrigerator and water heater) there is no measurable voltage drop.

When we travel I carry the two Honda 2000s on a platform with two 20 pound LP cylinders. Each can be run from a dedicated 20 pounder, or they can share a 20 or one or both can run off the LP port. All of those configurations use 1/4" plumbing with quick disconnects. Despite warnings, labels and tables, I have tried every combination that I carry under load (either the real load of the trailer with AC running or simulated load of a hair dryer on full on each generator) and with a voltage meter I see zero voltage drop.

Clearly the data you provided says some combination of engineers, lawyers and warning label printers advise against running that much generator off the LP port. I didn't know that and appreciate the info!
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:44 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Just to wrap up this short thread, here's what we've decided to buy: http://www.genconnexdirect.net/honda...g_packages.htm

Scroll down to "Package RV 2", which includes a Honda EU2000 Companion and all the fixin's. We will likely only ever need one generator, but we like this package because it includes a 30-amp style outlet with an adapter that bonds neutral to ground and lets us easily plug our 30 amp RV cable directly into the generator.
We've just purchased a 2017 FC 25 and will be full timing for the next year I know that we'll need AC at some point so we're considering the RV 4 package.

Question: The 6' hoses come with low pressure regulators. Are these necessary when running the generators off of the low pressure port?
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:26 PM   #45
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
We've just purchased a 2017 FC 25 and will be full timing for the next year I know that we'll need AC at some point so we're considering the RV 4 package

Question: The 6' hoses come with low pressure regulators. Are these necessary when running the generators off of the low pressure port?
Congratulations on the new Airstream, welcome!

When running our GenConnex EU2000i Companion off the low pressure port on our trailer, we use the 12' hose that has a 1/4" adapter on one end (for the port) and a 3/8" adapter on the other (for the generator). The shorter hose with the regulator is what we would use if we wanted to connect the genny directly to a propane tank.

At least one person with actual experience (GammaDog) has successfully operated a pair of EU2000i generators off the low pressure port with a "T" and extra hoses and it looks cool. That might work for you as well, though (fair warning) the fine print says it shouldn't, and GammaDog's latest post here says he's also using a pair of 20 pound propane tanks, one for each generator.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:51 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Wired acquired the splitter from GenConnex that goes on a 30 pound propane tank to run both 2000 watt Honda generators air the same time. They said a 40 pound tank might be needed in the cold at altitude.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 07-31-2016, 10:49 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Quote:

That data says that the configuration I have tested might not run in theory. I can tell you it does for me in practice. Even with all other LP draws at full (stove, refrigerator and water heater) there is no measurable voltage drop.

When we travel I carry the two Honda 2000s on a platform with two 20 pound LP cylinders. Each can be run from a dedicated 20 pounder, or they can share a 20 or one or both can run off the LP port. All of those configurations use 1/4" plumbing with quick disconnects. Despite warnings, labels and tables, I have tried every combination that I carry under load (either the real load of the trailer with AC running or simulated load of a hair dryer on full on each generator) and with a voltage meter I see zero voltage drop.

Clearly the data you provided says some combination of engineers, lawyers and warning label printers advise against running that much generator off the LP port. I didn't know that and appreciate the info!
It's great to know that in practical use a 3000 watt generator can be run off the LPG port. I guess my only concern is whether or not fuel starvation is taking place and causing an improper air/fuel mixture ratio leading to excess wear and tear on the motor.

For the meantime, I will be running a 3/8" line from my 3400 watt generator direct (via regulator) to a propane tank.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:59 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Note that the issue is how fast the liquid propane can vaporize to a gas state to run the appliances. Thus cold and altitude would not be helpful and the reason for GenConnex saying a minimum of a 30 pound tank to run two 2000 watt Honda generators. We have an assortment of propane tanks, so that is not an issue for us - 30, 20, 10 and 5 pound tanks

Old 08-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #49
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Hello all. I just wanted to share that I spoke with Gary at GenConneX today after reading this fantastic thread. We first spoke about "not starving" a twin 2000's set-up if using the onboard propane tanks through the trailer's 1/4" QD port. Since I'll have a 30' trailer, and I was thinking I'd like the QD connection at the back left corner of the trailer, he recommended that we use at least 3/8" tubing (but if I'd ever use the EU6500 discussed below, the 1/2" ID tubing) would be better to overcome the "friction" I'd encounter with that length of a run, then terminate with a 3/8" QD fitting. I told him that I wasn't 100% committed to using the onboard gas for this purpose, and that I might stay with separate LP tanks that are more easily refillable ... he sent me a price quote built with both solutions. Regardless, I just thought I'd offer the 1/2" line advice. From the price quote:

GXG LP-EU2000i-SA-EC, $1499
GenConneX Honda EU2000i Propane modified generator with quick-disconnect propane inlet, 6ft quick-disconnect propane hose and regulator.

GXG LP-EU2000i-COMP-SA-EC, $1599

GenConneX Honda EU2000i COMPANION Propane modified generator with quick-disconnect propane inlet, 6ft quick-disconnect propane hose and regulator.

GXA Gas Hose LP 12ft 3/8 Dout, Qty 1 @ $129.99 (use with on-board propane tanks)
Low pressure propane 12ft x 3/8in id extension hose with 3/8in male (in) quick disconnect and two 2ft x 3/8 id extension hoses with 3/8in female (out to generator) quick disconnects for dual generators.

Propane Splitter 2-ACME, Qty 1 @ $39.99
BBQ Tank output splitter to connect two regulators to a single 20-60Lb tank (requires ACME to POL adapter to connect to 100lb tank)

GXA Propane Reg w/6ft hose w/QD GXA, Qty 2 @ $49.99ea
GenConneX 6ft propane fuel regulator hose assembly with 3/8in female quick-disconnect

GXA Elec Par Cables EU2000i, $49.99
Honda Parallel Cables for connecting two GenConneX Honda EU2000iS generators together (NOT FOR HX MODELS)

GXA Elec Adpt L5-30P to L14-30R, $89.99
Power adapter 1.5-Feet Female Locking Adapter for 125-Volt L5-30P Plug to 125/250-Volt L14-30R (Two hots bridged)

Oil 5W-30 Syn Mobil Shipping UPS Ground, $0
Motor Oil, 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Quart & funnel

Shipping charge for UPS Ground delivery from Hingam, MA to Northern VA is $69.99.

On a separate topic, we also spoke about my other generator, an EU6500 that I keep for emergency use at the house. I told him I was inclined to go with "the other brand"
conversion kit, but he told me about the GenConneX conversion. Unlike the other brand, the GenConneX kit involves a full gas tank replacement where the conversion is self-contained within the existing footprint of the generator and with no bolt-on appendages to snag or break (the main reason I hadn't previously performed the other vendor's mod). He explained that it's very easy to install and it comes with both the propane and natural gas fittings to run the generator. Unfortunately, you can't run gasoline through it without reinstalling your unmodified gas tank, but I can live with that. It's not on the website and not in stock right now.

GXK LPNG-EU6500is-Kit-1, $699.99 plus $29.99 for shipping
GenConneX Honda EU6500is Propane &Natural Gas conversion kit with quick disconnect inlet and 12' low pressure natural gas hose with 1/2" male in quick disconnect and 3/8" female quick disconnect for conntecting to generator.

I should have asked if they have a natural gas adapter for the EU2000's as well... In a winter-time power outage, they'd be much more convenient to deploy and would be more than sufficient to run my TV, gas fireplaces and fans to circulate heat, along with a couple of lights...

Good people. I'll buy from GenConneX when I'm ready to pull the trigger. I'm very impressed. So glad Rocinante started this thread and introduced me (us) to GenConneX.

Regards,
Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Thanks for all the parts and pricing info!

I just spoke with the service writer at the local AS dealer. He told me I couldn't run a generator direct to "one" of the propane tanks because I would get air in the line. I didn't think I could get air in the line just by leaving one female propane attachment unfastened?

Anyways, he said I would need an in-line adapter in order to basically steal propane directly from the tank without interfering with the AS setup. Anyone know of which dual feed adapter plugs in-line before the regulator on the AS?
Old 08-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
The US Carb guys were at the Lewisburg rally. It looked to me as if they did a brisk business selling Yamaha generators and a LOT of conversion kits. Great folks. Converting my Honda EU3000iHandi was a bit more involved, but their tech, Sean, did this for me with my generator sitting on the tailgate of my truck. Having the 3 fuel option is a terrific plus, I think. While I don't mind carrying a gas can in the bed of my truck, I would rather not have it back there for obvious reasons. Using the quick connect on the front of the trailer makes this a lot more convenient -- and safer.

Boy am I glad I found this thread and this post. We have the Honda eu3000i handi and would love to get it converted to propane and run it off our front low pressure port.
Is it possible to get a little more into as to what's involved and how should I contact to get this moving.
Thanks
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #52
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Boy am I glad I found this thread and this post. ...
Is it possible to get a little more into as to what's involved and how should I contact to get this moving?
Doug, check www.genconnexdirect.com and www.motorsnorkel.com ... There are others too, but these are the two most popular, IMHO. genconnex does propane only and propane and/or natural gas ... US Carb (motorsnorkel) does all three (gasoline, propane and/or natural gas) but has an externally bolted on appendage. You need to visit the sites and query a lot to inform your decision. Rocinante's video earlier in this thread is awesome to show you the genconnex solution... Bottom line: only you can decide on your needs and compromises. Note I have neither yet. Good luck!

Regards,
Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:

GammaDog,
I'm waiting on a 2017 28' International Serenity with 2 a/c units. I purchased a Honda eu2000i and Eu2000i companion. I included the solar package in the deal. My wife of 35 years and I have enjoyed tent camping and pop-up tent camping with the kids and are ready to enjoy the Ritz version. We have worked hard to afford this chapter, just want to make sure we're investing in the right gear. I think the propane Honda eu2000i is the right decision.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I converted my EU7000is, with the GenConnex kit, full gas tank replacement, conversion took about an hour and was well written out. Has worked flawlessly since.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffin-rich View Post
Doug, check www.genconnexdirect.com and www.motorsnorkel.com ... There are others too, but these are the two most popular, IMHO. genconnex does propane only and propane and/or natural gas ... US Carb (motorsnorkel) does all three (gasoline, propane and/or natural gas) but has an externally bolted on appendage. You need to visit the sites and query a lot to inform your decision. Rocinante's video earlier in this thread is awesome to show you the genconnex solution... Bottom line: only you can decide on your needs and compromises. Note I have neither yet. Good luck!

Regards,
Rich

I concur. The Genconnex conversion is internal and efficient. I have nothing but high praise for Gary and his Genconnex company.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #56

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxreme View Post
Thanks for all the parts and pricing info!

I just spoke with the service writer at the local AS dealer. He told me I couldn't run a generator direct to "one" of the propane tanks because I would get air in the line. I didn't think I could get air in the line just by leaving one female propane attachment unfastened?

Anyways, he said I would need an in-line adapter in order to basically steal propane directly from the tank without interfering with the AS setup. Anyone know of which dual feed adapter plugs in-line before the regulator on the AS?

Not quite sure if he's correct if you have an automatic change over regulator. Technically the regulator is only pulling propane from one tank. You would disconnect the tank that is not use and use it for the generator. I've disconnected an empty tank hose to refill the tank while the other tank is in active use. I've never experienced a negative repercussion in doing this.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
There is a propane tank adapter that provides two outlets. The are usually in stock at Amazon

Camco 59133 Brass 90 Tee with 3 ports

Lasco 17-5361 Propane Fitting Tee with 1-Male QCC and 2-Female QCC (several similar models)

Old 08-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffin-rich View Post

Regards,
Rich
Thanks for this rich:

I'm thinking i'm better off with the internal system coming from genconnect, They don't show a DIY kit for my EU3000i-handi on their site so I will try and call them today and see if they can help me. Because I already own the Honda 3000i-handi DIY seems to be my only option.
Thanks again for the links and comments

Cheers
Doug
Old 08-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I have the US Carb twin Yamahas tri-fuel 2000W inverters. I have used them on gas and propane, but not yet natural gas. They clearly run better on propane. I've had them for at least five years. Recently, we upgraded from a 2009 27' Flying Cloud FB to a 2015 Flying Cloud FB with dual air. Before going to the Region 10 rally in Kalispell, MT, I did a test run with the inverters and the A/C. They ran either A/C just fine but don't have enough power to run both so I didn't even try.
When we got to Kalispell rally, it was at the fairgrounds with limited power and water. It was in the low 90's and the elevation is about 3000'. The inverters would start either A/C but after a few minutes, the A/C would shut down. The inverters were supplied with a separate large propane tank and I checked their performance thinking the altitude might be affecting the power output. I did that by adjusting the air/fuel inlet valve watching the rpm. US Carb conversions come with rpm and hour meters. Any adjustment from its current setting reduced the rpm and the smooth running of the inverters.
So I'm at a loss to determine why the A/C would start, run for about 5 minutes (the compressor would kick in and cool air would start), and then shut down. The A/C fan would work but not the compressor.
In a recent Blue Beret article, there is a discussion about "hard start capacitor" conversion to the A/C which is supposed to work better when using the generators or inverters. Since my A/C will start but not maintain, I'm not sure the conversion is the answer.
I've been reading a lot about the use of these hard start capacitors and like the forums here, opinions are all over the board, even among so called career professionals.
Is there anyone here with similar experiences? I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but since for most the primary use is to be able to run an A/C, I think it appropriate for readers to know that there are issues to operation the A/C off generators and inverters.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #60
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Arctic fox.....the USCarb folks kit does work with your Honda EU300i Handi. I have the exact same generator and bought the kit while I was at the Lewisburg rally. It IS a bit more complex installing it into the 3000i, as you do need to loosen the carb which involves loosening a couple of other pieces to get to it. Anyway, they do sell a kit that fits and it works just fine. Barry
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote