Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I have an Onan 6500 propane generator that was original equipment on my Landyacht. Currently has about 550 hours. Just finished a 20 day dry camping trip to the Florida Keys. Had to run the generator about 2 hours per day to keep the batteries up and it burned thru a tank and half of propane doing that. Normally I do not use it that much unless on road inbetween stops.

Knowing what I do now, other RV'ers with diesel generators were running off their main fuel tank and went over a month without having to fill up again. Propane was $3.65 gal in Key West and it always took about 25 gals to fill so its adds up after awhile. Many other owners were using small Honda generators which were quitter and kept their rigs going on 30amp. Fortunately I did not need AC that much but found that more parts of my motorhome needed power than expected so also looking at solar upgrades for next year.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #22

Currently Looking...
bremerton , Washington
Propane conversion with Honda 2000EU

I have limited use with my US Carburetor conversion of Honda 2000 which is gas/propane capable-- under $200. Wet gas in the winter pushed me to convert and the kit is well instructed and is largely external. The regulator is needs to be next to the generator, and the valve control is sensitive. Once set, the starting is reliable and much better in the cold. No more gas to haul, and tap the propane tanks with "Y-valve". I tap straight in the tank as auxiliary tap for grill is small er flow than recommended. Have not measured the flow rate-- use a lot more propane in the winter with the furnace.
Paulpod is offline   Reply With Quote