Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Plenty of threads and pics on this subject on the Forums. Here are answers to some questions above:

I run two Honda 2000s on propane from the LP port of the trailer. I'm not saying you should... they exceed the 25,000 BTU rating of the port... but for me it works at least in the Florida heat. Naturally, a tee is required to split the single LP port connection into two. There's a pic of that in my gallery and a post somewhere (maybe Google 'airforums gammadog lp quick disconnect' to find it) describing all of the parts. PM me if you need info on that.

The factory installed port on the recent model Airstreams is an MB Sturgis model 250. It is a 1/4" fitting. Many generator kits use 3/8 hoses. Naturally, the 1/4" fitting is a bottleneck. It has not proven to be a problem in practice for me. Your mileage may vary.

Many kits have no provision to use high pressure propane directly. In other words, you can connect to your LP port but not directly to a propane cylinder. Consider getting a regulator for your generator so you can use it from a 20 pound cylinder away from the trailer if you ever want to. Check my gallery. Our two Honda's and two 20 pound cylinders ride on a platform under the tonneau. I can run either or both of them from the 20 pounders or the trailer. I can also backfeed the trailer through its LP port from any propane source. It all works usng those MB Sturgis model 250 quick disconnects, so I can snap it together quickly in any configuration.

Expect to burn about 2 pounds of propane per hour per Honda 2000 at full throttle.

Many companies make kits for the Honda 3000 as well. I used (and have been happy with) Propane Carbs kit. There are lots of great comments on the Forums about many other kits, too. I'd believe those folks. My sense is there are many quality options out there.

I hope that helps

Thx [emoji106]
Old 03-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
Well, my situation is simpler. I use charcoal so just want to go from AS bbq out to Honda propane converted in.

Pulled the trigger on a single Honda conversion kit from genconnex. Happy hour makes me more risk seeking.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
One other thing, some of the conversion kits hang outside the generator which makes them susceptible to damage.
Curious, have you ever read or heard of an externally mounted conversion unit being damaged?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Plenty of threads and pics on this subject on the Forums. Here are answers to some questions above:

I run two Honda 2000s on propane from the LP port of the trailer. I'm not saying you should... they exceed the 25,000 BTU rating of the port... but for me it works at least in the Florida heat. Naturally, a tee is required to split the single LP port connection into two. There's a pic of that in my gallery and a post somewhere (maybe Google 'airforums gammadog lp quick disconnect' to find it) describing all of the parts. PM me if you need info on that.

The factory installed port on the recent model Airstreams is an MB Sturgis model 250. It is a 1/4" fitting. Many generator kits use 3/8 hoses. Naturally, the 1/4" fitting is a bottleneck. It has not proven to be a problem in practice for me. Your mileage may vary.

Many kits have no provision to use high pressure propane directly. In other words, you can connect to your LP port but not directly to a propane cylinder. Consider getting a regulator for your generator so you can use it from a 20 pound cylinder away from the trailer if you ever want to. Check my gallery. Our two Honda's and two 20 pound cylinders ride on a platform under the tonneau. I can run either or both of them from the 20 pounders or the trailer. I can also backfeed the trailer through its LP port from any propane source. It all works usng those MB Sturgis model 250 quick disconnects, so I can snap it together quickly in any configuration.

Expect to burn about 2 pounds of propane per hour per Honda 2000 at full throttle.

Many companies make kits for the Honda 3000 as well. I used (and have been happy with) Propane Carbs kit. There are lots of great comments on the Forums about many other kits, too. I'd believe those folks. My sense is there are many quality options out there.

I hope that helps

That looks like the hose setup I need. Honda gen female and the 1/4 male end for the low pressure port at front of AS. Where did you get your hose with those fittings?
Old 03-22-2017, 07:04 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
Old 03-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #26
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
That's a good place to start, but it's got 1/4 inch connections on both ends... and the genny is 3/8.

I made my hose last night. The hose I made works with the genny (3/8") but you can easily disconnect that bit to return it to 1/4" use (which is what I will put on my grill).

Here is the detail with a photo and links to the products you need:

http://www.introductiontoeverything....y-rvs-lp-port/

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Thx, this gives me something to work with
Old 03-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I just went to my local propane dealer and they made up the longer hose with the proper fittings.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Chief and any else thats interested. I mounted my regulator on a plexiglass sheet and put holes in the bottom for the generator feet. The generator just sits on it. \\

Somewhere here on the forums I have a picture. I will try to find it as I have a hard time posting pictures.

Dave
Old 03-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #30
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I just went to my local propane dealer and they made up the longer hose with the proper fittings.

Dave
Definitely an option. I wanted to be able to use just one hose for both the grill and the genny, so this preserves my flexibility...

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I checked here and no joy. I called genconnex and they have a 1/4 to 3/8 setup 12' long that looks like it will work. Under 1/4" hoses
Old 03-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Chief and any else thats interested. I mounted my regulator on a plexiglass sheet and put holes in the bottom for the generator feet. The generator just sits on it. \\

Somewhere here on the forums I have a picture. I will try to find it as I have a hard time posting pictures.

Dave

I wouldn't mind having a look at that setup. Sounds interesting.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Picture
Old 03-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170322_121837_001.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	281938
Old 03-30-2017, 04:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Got my 2 H gens in and a conversion kit. A bit challenging but an hour + and a couple of phone calls and it's done. Got to get synthetic oil in am and will check it out.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Just before leaving on a trip, I serviced my converted H2000 with synthetic oil and hooked it up to my LPP on the front. Purged the air from the hose and a few pulls it started. Hooked it up to the AS and applied power. Worked! Further testing when I get home.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Curious, have you ever read or heard of an externally mounted conversion unit being damaged?

I actually don't have a specific example. Just saying the probability is greater that you might have a problem if the regulator is attached on the outside of the generator as opposed to being enclosed inside the case.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
See my post #34 I have the regulator attached to a plexiglass sheet that I carry separate from the generator along with miscellaneous things. When using the generator I just sit it on the plexiglass and hook up my quick connect hose.

Dave
Old 04-04-2017, 04:24 PM   #39
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
I converted mine to propane. Documented the process here along with links to lots of the different makers of conversion kits:

http://www.introductiontoeverything....un-on-propane/
Enjoyed your post on this as well as the Weber Q conversion.

With this kit, could you plug right into the low pressure port on the AS or did you need to get a different hose? The photo on the manufacture website appears to be a hose with a high pressure fitting and regulator on it. For $350, do I need to spend more working up a hose.

Thanks again.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #40
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
That's a good place to start, but it's got 1/4 inch connections on both ends... and the genny is 3/8.

I made my hose last night. The hose I made works with the genny (3/8") but you can easily disconnect that bit to return it to 1/4" use (which is what I will put on my grill).

Here is the detail with a photo and links to the products you need:

http://www.introductiontoeverything....y-rvs-lp-port/
Disregard my last post with the question about the connector hose! Thanks for this.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote