Old 09-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Pre-wire for solar

I am in the midst of putting my 1973 Safari back together. I do not plan to do any solar right now - but I want to have that option in the future. Before I put my interior walls back up, I thought I should at least run a wire to make this process easier if/when I decide to do this. I've read some of the threads, but can't seem to find a specific answer. Sounds like I should use 6 AWG or 8 AWG wire - but just one? Do I need a ground and a hot? I've read people going through the fridge vent - is this the best option? Anything else I should do to prep for this in the future?

Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
The wire gauge depends on how much capacity you would put on the roof. You could go with 6 or 8. You will need 2 conductors and they should be routed to the spot where your charge controller will be located. The controller should be as close to your batteries as possible.

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I used the roof combiner box from AM solar and 4awg welding wire from Amazon. My batteries are nowhere close to the fridge, so the fridge combiner box was not a good option. The gauge you need depends on the distance and how many panels you intend to install. I figured overkill was better than not having enough.

You need two wires. Shortest possible run from the roof to the charge controller, and shortest possible run from the controller to the batteries. Make sure you don't damage the wires when you're drilling holes to reinstall your skins.
1974 Overlander In Progress
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The wires you run should be at least 6 gauge, and preferably heavier than that. Heavier wire offers less resistance, so you'll get more power down into your batteries.

Be careful to protect the wires from sharp edges on the top refrigerator vent.
"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote