Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Post rooftop solar pictures?

I really want to install solar panels on the roof of our 67 TW trailer, but I like the original lines.. I would love some pictures of rooftop installations just to help decide. Solar is important to us, We want to be able to boondock and/or bug out when the California coast drowns in sea water. Some pictures of rooftop solar installs look pretty nice and flat, to me. Will you share your pictures?

We're also planning some kind of inside AC system, but that's another topic.

Any threads to point me to on rooftop installs would be great.

Thanks!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Here's my solar install Solar Airstream | Traveling with the Silver Bullet
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
And ours..

Going Solar | WatsonsWander - Exploring and working fulltime from our Airstream
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Argosy solar rooftop

Here is a photo of the panels on my Argosy 20' rooftop. The curved ones on the left are old Solerex panels on flexible aluminum backing. Have not been made in many years. The rectangular one on the right side was one that was given to me, maybe 40 watts. They were just ones I had laying around from old solar projects from the 90's so I put them to use. They work very well for 20 year old panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2259.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	186943  
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

I don't have any rooftop photos, but I do have a few that illustrate what you can see of the three solar panels on my 1964 Overlander Land Yacht International when viewed from the ground. The photo below illustrates the two panels that are installed along the streetside roof panel:

The photo below illustrates the appearance of the single panel mounted on the curbside roof panel:

The photos are of the same Overlander . . . the top photo was taken after its trip to P and S Trailer Service for exterior restoration . . . and the lower photo was taken just before its trip to P and S . . . I was and still am very pleased with the results as it looks just like it did when I first saw it in 1964.

The photo below is of one of the three Concorde Sun X-Tender AGM batteries that the three solar panels support:

These batteries have had a remarkable life and seem to be ready for another season. I would have to check my records, but I believe that A J Solar installed my system . . . they were one of the regular vendors at the WBCCI International Rally for a number of years. The system also includes a digital controller as well as a heavy duty Inverter/charger to provide 120-Volt AC when off-grid (usually minimal use other than for laptop/camera battery chargers and my television).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
solar installs

Thank you. I dont think those "mess up" the roof lines, at least not enough to make it not worth it to do. I especially like the curved ones, of course, and they all look good. I love going green and especially the quiet.

So am I to understand that there is a monitor of some kind that is installed inside the trailer, and is located in between the panels and the battery? Is the solar battery one that is separate from the regular ones everyone puts in?

Im sorry if this has been asked and answered...Ive searched the forums and can't find a simple answer, they are of course, specific answers to specific questions.

We are a looong way away from doing this, getting our shell back on will take plenty of time. I just need a very general idea. Keep those pictures coming.

ingrid
Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Same batteries as you have now.

A solar controller goes between the panels and batteries. This works like your converter. Converting the volts/amps from the panel to match what your batteries need to charge.

A solar controller may have a monitor attached to it, or like our it is separate. This just tells you what is going on with the system. Different controllers and price levels will tell you record different readings. Our basically tells battery voltage, battery %, incoming amps, +/- amps (How many amps are currently being stored into our pulled out from batteries). Battery amps requires a shunt across the negative side.

Here is a good diagram AM Solar sent me.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings pinkflamingoes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes View Post
So am I to understand that there is a monitor of some kind that is installed inside the trailer, and is located in between the panels and the battery? Is the solar battery one that is separate from the regular ones everyone puts in?
Yes, there is a "Charge Controller" (keeps the batteries from being overcharged) as well as a "Monitor Panel" (usually gives charge rate as well as percentage of charge). The type and complexity of both the charge controller and monitor panel vary by the individual installation.

The battery or batteries in a solar installation replace and/or add to the existing batteries. The type of battery doesn't have to be different from those utilized in the standard Airstream system, but most do upgrade to higher capacity batteries that often have a greater life-span such as AGM or similar technologies. The one issue to keep in mind is that if your current power converter isn't of the modern three-stage variety, the power converter can still boil the electrolyte and cause problems when connected to shore power (one of the reasons that I upgraded to the Inverter/Charger when I added the solar system was that I didn't trust the old Univolt).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Thank you! I'm not going to be installing but I love knowing the basics. They are usually much more simple than I anticipate. Taking a look at the drawing now.

Wondering...how big of a pain is it to drag out stand-alone panels if we go that route? I already know I would be the one doing it....

ingrid
Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
The stand alone panels I think is the way that I will go. I have a van so I think storing them in the back will work out ok.

1. Really don't like parking in the sun. That is why God made trees, for me to park under.
2. Panels will be multi-purpose, which will work out for me.
3. As for someone stealing them, I take reasonable precautions, am not beyond violence, and will not live in fear.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Oh, parking in the sun. I forgot about that. Good point.

ingrid
Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
when you get out west your trailer is taller than most trees.. so parking in the sun is not a problem.

most solar panels are some 30ish pounds it seems.. that a bunch to be hauling out of van to set up.. not that is not a good idea especially when you can park in shade and have panels in sun.. have you checked out rvsueandcrew.net..?? she has a panel and batteries in the van and uses a bit of cord to connect to trailer. seem to work for her so far.

Quote:
Oh, parking in the sun. I forgot about that. Good point.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If you're going to use free-standing panels, you might make frames for them (one per panel), and mount some small trolley wheels to the bottom edges of the frames, so you can roll them around like luggage. So much easier than carrying them.

Should be able to make lightweight frames out of conduit. The axle for the trolley wheels can go through the conduit at the bottom.

And even better, frames made of conduit give you convenient handles for lifting them in and out of your vehicle without ever having to touch the glass.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario

These came installed with our trailer when we purchased it. Still trying to figure out what's the wattage, but they do deliver a healthy charge.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
My Panels

I installed four panels this summer. Work great and don't advertise their presence on the roof. By the way the fourth is hidden by the air conditioner.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010157.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	193717  

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Rutledge , Georgia
BigAl,
What is the brand of the solar panels. I like the low profile.
jcawley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
53 watt soalr panels factory-installed by Airstream!

Quote:
I really want to install solar panels on the roof of our 67 TW trailer, but I like the original lines.. I would love some pictures of rooftop installations just to help decide. Solar is important to us, We want to be able to boondock and/or bug out when the California coast drowns in sea water. Some pictures of rooftop solar installs look pretty nice and flat, to me. Will you share your pictures?

We're also planning some kind of inside AC system, but that's another topic.

Any threads to point me to on rooftop installs would be great.

Thanks!
Two 53-watt Solar Panels installed by Airstream during the build of our trailer continue to provide all of the power that we need for at least 5 days of non-hook-up camping in California's deserts, mountains, and beaches!

More details, information on solar power, and photos are seen in the AirForums' thread, "Factory Installed Solar Charging System"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Solar Panels Streetside.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	194423  
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
More solar panel photos

Here is a photo of the two new 100 watt panels (Grape Solar, from Costco.com, $160 each delivered) that I put on my new 20 FC. I used a Blue sky MPPT charge controller. So far it has worked very well, keeping my batteries up to 80 to 90% charged according to my Tri-Metric battery monitor. Fall weather and less sun, plus more furnace use will tell a better story, and I still do need to change the batteries to Golf Cart types with more capacity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	solar AS roof.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	194434  
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
I installed four panels this summer. Work great and don't advertise their presence on the roof. By the way the fourth is hidden by the air conditioner.
Hi Big Al,

I have a few questions.

Are These Unisolar panels?
How many volts (12 or24)?
How many watts total?
What did you use for and where is the combiner block?
WHat size wire from the roof to the controller?
What model and where is the controller located?
What type batteries do you have?
Any performance comments?

Thanks,

Brad

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Hey Brad,
Thanks for the interest. So many questions!
These are 68 watt Unisolar panels. They are hooked up in series which gives about 60 to 64 volt output. total output is theoretically 272 watts and about 4 amps(at 60volts)
I am using an Intronics mppt controller(made in USA)
I used 10 or 12 gauge wire(same as the leads on the panels). Since the voltage is high you can use thinner gauge wire.
From the controller to the batteries I used 6 gauge(the same as airstream used).
The controller is located under the gaucho in the front of the trailer.
I brought the wiring into the trailer through a strain relief fitting in the side of the fridge chimney. Then I fished it through all the factory installed wire chases that already were there. Installed a trimetric meter for monitoring.
System recharges my two 100 amphour batteries in three to four hours in moderate sun.
Nice thing with these panels is that they are quite shade tolerant.
there is no combiner block or box since I wired the panels in series.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote