Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Will It Fit?

I'd like to install solar panel(s) on my newly acquired '90 25' Excella. Many here have mentioned the 100 watt Grape Solar panel available at Costco for $140 and most mount two them. The only regret I ever see about solar is that they wish they had installed more watts - 300 seems like a good number.

Home Depot offers a 280 watt Grape Solar panel for $400 which is about the same per watt price but I would think installation would be simpler - if it fits. I've seen three of the 100 watt panels mounted and that seems to work. The one large panel is 39" x 77". Will that fit?

Thanks,
Poppy
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #22
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Poppy,
Cut out a sheet of paper the size you intend to use. Lay out on roof for placement....hope that helps... Mounts will vary but you will want to tie into rib locations for proper long term satisfaction...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post

Home Depot offers a 280 watt Grape Solar panel for $400 which is about the same per watt price but I would think installation would be simpler - if it fits. I've seen three of the 100 watt panels mounted and that seems to work. The one large panel is 39" x 77". Will that fit?

Thanks,
Poppy
I doubt that you can find the real estate for one big panel, but all you need to do is to cut a piece of cardboard to those dimensions and get your ladder out and see if you have any such space available. No one can tell you what your trailer roof will hold as there are too many variations in roof penetrations like A/C units, fans, vents and the like.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Thanks for the input. I didn't realize there was so much variation.

Poppy
Old 09-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Also keep in mind those larger panels most likely have a higher voltage. In this case the Grape Solar 280 is a 36 volt panel and you'd need a charge controller than can handle the high voltage.

I'm glad I found this thread. I was leaning toward the AM Solar GO100 for $199 when it appears the Grape Solar 100 is the EXACT same panel for $149. Output amps are the same, the dimensions are the same and it would accept AM Solars nice rocker feet.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
Also keep in mind those larger panels most likely have a higher voltage. In this case the Grape Solar 280 is a 36 volt panel and you'd need a charge controller than can handle the high voltage.

I'm glad I found this thread. I was leaning toward the AM Solar GO100 for $199 when it appears the Grape Solar 100 is the EXACT same panel for $149. Output amps are the same, the dimensions are the same and it would accept AM Solars nice rocker feet.
Although more expensive, you will find AM Solar's GS-100 panel more suited to the narrow spaces available on an Airstream's roof. I have installed this panel exclusively on the 10 Airsteam installations I have completed this summer.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
It also appears that Grape Solar's GS-100-S-TS is EXACTLY the same as AM Solar's GS-100. Same dimensions, same voltage, same efficiency. Here all this time I thought AM Solar was something special.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
It also appears that Grape Solar's GS-100-S-TS is EXACTLY the same as AM Solar's GS-100. Same dimensions, same voltage, same efficiency. Here all this time I thought AM Solar was something special.
AM Solar is special. They have deep experience with Airstream installations and provide complete kits and great support from what I've read here. Solar panels themselves can't communicate all the little details that go along with an AS solar install or answer the phone when you have a question.

I haven't decided what solar system I'm going to install yet but I'm all for keeping local (local in the geographical and web community sense both) knowledgeable businesses in business. Never underestimate or undervalue product experience and customer support.

Getting off soapbox now.

Brad

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I also like to support knowledge-based, support oriented businesses. Especially fellow Oregonians. Thrilled to discover that AM Solar is in Springfield, Oregon, just on the other side of the Cascades from Bend. That's where I will be heading.

Poppy
Old 09-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I didn't mean to bash AM Solar. I've heard many great things about them and may even make my purchase through them. After further research, by the time you purchase the equivalent Grape Solar panel, add AM Solar's awesome rocker feet, plus wiring, that $50 savings starts vanishing quickly.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post

AM Solar is special. They have deep experience with Airstream installations and provide complete kits and great support from what I've read here. Solar panels themselves can't communicate all the little details that go along with an AS solar install or answer the phone when you have a question.

I haven't decided what solar system I'm going to install yet but I'm all for keeping local (local in the geographical and web community sense both) knowledgeable businesses in business. Never underestimate or undervalue product experience and customer support.

Getting off soapbox now.

Brad
Couldn't have said it better! NO ONE in the RV solar business provides installation kits with everything you need for a complete, successful installation. Plus they are great folks with 27 years of RV solar experience.

Anyone can buy panels and a controller but IMHO, proper wire gauge to minimize voltage drop, correct connectors and matching components are key to a good system.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #32
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I followed Lewster's guidance and installed the AM Solar package a few months ago. Best thing: they provided absolutely EVERYTHING necessary, beautifully packaged and labeled, and best of all...my 400 watt panels do a great job replenishing the new Lifeline AGM's that I added at the time I did the install. Also, since this photo was taken, I had the 2d A/C installed. (I left room for this at the time I put in the panels.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0831.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	196691  
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Gorgeous guys!!! What did it cost you in total? And can u go off grid, etc. cook, hot water. I want to get this. What solar company did u use? Thx
Happydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post

Getting off soapbox now.

Brad
I bought a system from AM Solar and had my local Airstream dealer install. They made a call to AM to clarify a point and got the detail they needed to complete a flawless installation. I like the GS100s because installed, you can barely see them from the ground.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
What Did it cost? With installation? Do u have to buy a battery separate? New to solar so far AM sounds great next to one depot
Happydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
When I posted prices for the Grape solar panel, it was in no way intended to lessen the value of those who do complete solar installations as a business. Most people in the AS community need those companies to do their solar systems in a professional manner.

I have been doing solar stuff since the mid '90's as a hobby. I also do solar work for the Forest Service on a volunteer basis. I know that some others are dedicated do it yourself folks, and for those who wish to learn by doing and/or need to save money. It is for those folks that I posted the brand and price of the solar panel. I have been kind of upset to see people spending that same money on poor Harbor Freight sets of three 15 watt panels (45 watts total) and thinking they were getting a bargain. They are not.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #37
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Go on the AM Solar website and spend time educating yourself. They have a number of articles that will give you what you need to know, and they are not written by AM. After you do that, they have a number of "packages" you can select from depending on how many watts you want to generate. This may be based on space for panels, cost, and factors unique to how you use your trailer. There is plenty here on AirForums as well.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Belchertown , Massachusetts
Neat thread, looking forward to more pix. We don't have a trailer yet but have been looking forward to it and last year I sold my generator for the home and bought 2 - 100w panels, 4 duracell 6v golf cart batteries, charge controller, and 2 inverters (1000w pure sine and 3000w dirty sine for heavy lifting) and wired it all up for home backup power. Was already planning on buying a vintage RV and upgrading the electrics with this stuff so figured would be good to get a feel for it.

Hoping to fit 4 to 500w eventually on the roof for proper boondocking, we'll see...but the stuff works awesome, I run my little workshop off the batteries exclusively and sometimes we do 'solar movie nights'. Plus has worked like a charm during a couple of power outages.

Next is installing the AH counter to see how that works
workerdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:52 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks for the info folks, I have a 16' Int CCD bambi, not much real estate up there and not much room in the truck to haul stand-alone panels. Seems like I might need to drive to Oregon and get the AM Solar guys to see what they can do, my rig is supposedly pre-wired for solar but its an 07, so I'm sure there is better hardware now. I need to ditch my old 24 battery as well and install AGM + a new box. Im hoping for solar to run the fantastic fan, the fridge and heater, not sure how many watts that would be. Thankfully I live in Boulder CO where (except for when its flooding) we have plenty of sun! Any other 16'ers out there who have installed solar? Anybody got pics?
Thanks!
unclemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
dallas , Texas
Looking for solar installation

I am in Philadelphia currently, and need a person who knows what wise for my silver bullet.

If you know of someone in the tri-state area that can recommend the products and do the install.

Help them find me here!
hippygypsy is offline   Reply With Quote