Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2017, 07:02 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Portable solar panels for lithium battery

We've successfully installed a lithium battery and 200W of solar panels onto our 16' Bambi (dubbed the Aluminium Falcon). Took it on a 3 week trip, where it performed well. Typically, we'd use 30Ah each day, and replenish 20Ah through the overhead panels. The low sun angle and occasional shady spot were our limits, so I'm now looking at portable solar panels. I'm looking anywhere from 100W to 200W, but leaning towards larger is better.

This is my current configuration:

-Two AM Solar SP100 100W panels on top
-Zamp ZS-30A PWM solar charge controller with Lithium mode
-Battleborn 100Ah LiFePO4 Battery
-BMV 700 Battery Monitor

The Zamp controller, battery, and BMV shunt are all placed under the dinette seat, accessible by lifting the cushions.

I had planned to get a portable solar suitcase, which includes the charger, and clamp it to the battery cables that are still present in a now empty battery box up front on the A frame. However, I can't find any portable systems that come with a lithium mode on the included solar charge controller. I don't have an extra wire going from the battery box to the dinette, or I'd just use that to connect to the Zamp controller with a raw panel. I do have the 12v from the 7 way plug into the area, and I had disconnected that to isolate the battery systems (Li battery was trying to charge TV battery). So here are my options:

1. Use a non-Li solar charger set at AGM mode. The BB batteries are made to accept AGM charging modes, and I already do so with the PD4655 converter.

1a and 1b. Sub-options are whether to keep the controller mounted to the suitcase panels, or mount inside the empty battery box.

2. Mount a Li-capable solar controller, like another ZS-30A, into the empty battery box. It's not a waterproof controller, so try to make it as waterproof as possible. This is a general issue of finding a waterproof lithium controller.

3. Repurpose the 12v wire that comes from the 7 way plug to be at solar panel voltage. Connect it into the Zamp controller inside the cabin on one end, and to a simple plug, Zamp or otherwise, at the battery box. Plug in raw solar panels when I want to use them.

4. Find a suitcase system that comes with a lithium-compatible charger.

Any alternatives to these, or opinions between the alternatives?
Old 12-03-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Larry,

I wouldn't repurpose the 12 V from your TV. In fact, I think you should find a solution to be able to power your trailer from the TV if your trailer batteries are low. This might save your bacon at some point - like when you've accidentally discharged your batteries and you can't leave a campsite because your jack doesn't work for example.

I'd go for the simple solution and connect the portable panel/charger directly to your BB batteries. I'd keep the charger integrated with the panel because I don't see a great benefit from separating the two.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Ideas

I've been having to figure out a similar solution, too. I have BB batteries too (on the way) and a renogy 200w suitcase. Here is my analysis.

The suitcases come with PWM controllers attached and as you say none will support lithium out of the box. Renogy makes a waterproof lithium PWM (Voyager) controller that can be had for $65 online if you shop. Mounting this inside the unused battery box would work well.

One thing that Alano might comment on is that I believe it is better to have longer wire runs from the panel to the controller then the controller to the panel.

No matter what, you'll need to tie the new controller into the battery by connecting it up to the shunt side of you battery monitor. Kind of a pain - means you won't be using the clamp on connectors from the suitcase.

I am planning on going with using a single Victron MPPT controller for everything. I'm following Troutboy's (and others) lead in using a battery swittch (1,2,1+2,off) to combine the portable and rooftop arrays in a manner that allows me to have all permutations of them on and off. What I don't know is the wire size and connectors I will use (Zamp, Renogy, Anderson, etc).

It really is funny how complicated this can get...

-Adam
afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Al and Adam,

Al, I get your point about the 12v charging line. Today, in a pinch, I could reconnect the charging line and have the TV recharge the BB battery. I would lose this option if I repurpose the charging line.

Adam, the waterproof Renogy Voyager solves a lot of problems! Somehow I missed that. This can be mounted in the empty battery box, or put on the panels. I still have Ground and Battery +12 available in the battery case (shunt is inside), so I could configure these into posts that allow a clip on connection, or I could use these to wire the Renogy solar controller to permanently.

Now, I'm going to think this through....l
Old 12-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Correction

Just re-read my last post and see a typo. What I meant to say is...

It is better to have a long cable run from the panel to the controller rather than from the controller to the battery. I believe the reason for this is that we'll often have a higher voltage before the controller (depends on panel and configuration) - especially if the controller is a PWM type.

Glad the renogy Voyager fits the bill!

-adam
afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Suwanee , GA
You geniuses come up with the perfect solar upgrade systems. Then post whats needed and where to buy.. Then offer step by step installation instructions for idiots like me in jr. High english.
And all of us d.a's would love yall for it
Even better. Come install all of it.
A Fan!!!
Seagars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Adam,

This all makes sense. If I put the Voyager into the battery case, by definition I'll have longer cable runs from the panels. Yes, the higher voltages the panels put out should deal better with resistance in the cable runs.

I am also considering going with two Renogy 100 Watt suitcases instead of the Renogy 200W panel. My spreadsheet calculations show the Renogy Eclipse suitcases have the best watts/weight and watts/suitcase-square-inch of the suitcase models so far. (though the Zamp 160 isn't far behind). With limited space/storage in the Bambi and the 4runner, I'm leaning towards two 100W models- which is another reason to have a single common solar controller. Because of the added efficiency of pointing the panels at the sun, I may be able to get by with a single 100W panel, and get a second only if that doesn't do the job.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
My 80 watt Go Power suitcase automatically defaults to lithium. They make larger systems.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry9000 View Post
I had planned to get a portable solar suitcase, which includes the charger, and clamp it to the battery cables that are still present in a now empty battery box up front on the A frame. However, I can't find any portable systems that come with a lithium mode on the included solar charge controller. I don't have an extra wire going from the battery box to the dinette, or I'd just use that to connect to the Zamp controller with a raw panel. I do have the 12v from the 7 way plug into the area, and I had disconnected that to isolate the battery systems (Li battery was trying to charge TV battery). So here are my options:

1. Use a non-Li solar charger set at AGM mode. The BB batteries are made to accept AGM charging modes, and I already do so with the PD4655 converter.

1a and 1b. Sub-options are whether to keep the controller mounted to the suitcase panels, or mount inside the empty battery box.

2. Mount a Li-capable solar controller, like another ZS-30A, into the empty battery box. It's not a waterproof controller, so try to make it as waterproof as possible. This is a general issue of finding a waterproof lithium controller.

3. Repurpose the 12v wire that comes from the 7 way plug to be at solar panel voltage. Connect it into the Zamp controller inside the cabin on one end, and to a simple plug, Zamp or otherwise, at the battery box. Plug in raw solar panels when I want to use them.

4. Find a suitcase system that comes with a lithium-compatible charger.

Any alternatives to these, or opinions between the alternatives?
Try looking at the suitcase ones at GoWesty.com - IIRC they come in 100 & 200 AH varieties, & are sized small enough to fit into a VW camper van, so shouldn't be too hard to find a place to pack 1-2 of them in your TV or AS.

I think that either both or the newer model works with LiIon.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk314 View Post
One thing that Alano might comment on is that I believe it is better to have longer wire runs from the panel to the controller then the controller to the panel.
If the charger was an MPPT controller, a shorter cable from the charger to the batteries is preferable because the current is higher coming out of the charger. However, for a PWM controller is makes no difference where you place the charger since the current is the same from the panel to the batteries.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Try looking at the suitcase ones at GoWesty.com - IIRC they come in 100 & 200 AH varieties, & are sized small enough to fit into a VW camper van, so shouldn't be too hard to find a place to pack 1-2 of them in your TV or AS.

I think that either both or the newer model works with LiIon.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
I really like the folding concept and the little "tent pole" kit you can get too. I'll investigate further. They seem a bit pricey though.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
My 80 watt Go Power suitcase automatically defaults to lithium. They make larger systems.
Thanks. I'll take a look.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:06 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
200W vs. 300W on the Roof

Larry - if you had it to do over, and if you had the space up top, would you have installed panels with 300W capacity on the roof right from the start, or would you have opted for 200W + 100W portable? Planning my solar system for a 2005 Safari 25C.

Thanks,
Paul
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

I’d do the same. The 200W on top is a great convenience. There isn’t room for more. The angle on the roof isn’t optimal so a 109W portable may add as much or more than the 200 on the roof. If I ever park in shade I need portable panels anyway. My upgrade allowed me to camp for consecutive days,, but having a portable will allow additional options.
larry9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:26 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Somerville , Massachusetts
Bambi 2013 16’

I’m a year into ownership and one whopping trip for theee months last summer. I want to go solar but can’t decide if suitcase panels are better than roof mounted. I have Toyota Highlander with roof rack for tv. But prefer not to have to lug things around as I’m 66 and on my own but will if it’s a better option. And what r y able to run with your solar and lithium batteries inside bambi. I have double batteries don’t know if they r lithium or not probably not I didn’t ask for them so unless it’s standard I haven’t got that.

Deb
somer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somer128 View Post
I’m a year into ownership and one whopping trip for theee months last summer. I want to go solar but can’t decide if suitcase panels are better than roof mounted. I have Toyota Highlander with roof rack for tv. But prefer not to have to lug things around as I’m 66 and on my own but will if it’s a better option. And what r y able to run with your solar and lithium batteries inside bambi. I have double batteries don’t know if they r lithium or not probably not I didn’t ask for them so unless it’s standard I haven’t got that.

Deb
If you have a 16' Bambi, that originally came with a single 80Ah lead acid battery (I'm not sure if liquid cell or AGM). If you have two now, it's been upgraded in some way. Of the 80 Ah, only half is truly usable, as the battery will be damaged below 50% of charge. So it has a usable capacity of 40Ah.

We've been using 30Ah a day in our recent trip. We converted all interior lights to LEDs, which saved a lot. Modern Airstreams come with LEDs already, I believe. So the 30Ah supports lighting, radio (we have satellite radio), my cell booster, the overhead fan if needed, and the propane appliances. (refrigerator, water heater, and furnace). Of the propane appliances, it is the furnace that uses the most battery power, powering the fan. We also charged our laptops from a small inverter, and can get OTA TV from the 12v TV we installed. Basically, everything other than the AC or any microwave or coffee maker we've brought along.

My panels were charging 20Ah per day back into the battery- but this is very situational. I got 27 one day as I hauled it on I-10. No shade at all in that case. But parked in a morning shaded site with a low winter sun but otherwise clear skies, I would bring in 20Ah. I have a 100Ah Lithium battery, of which nearly the entire capacity is usable. So I'd lose 10% per day (30 out, 20 back in everyday). In summer I'd be fine- the higher sun and longer days are sure to charge much more. I haven't tested that theory yet, as this is a completely new system I completed in early November. If you are frugal, or not running the furnace, I'm sure you could cut down to 20Ah. BTW, I'm a real fan of the BMV 700 series battery monitors , which tell you exactly how much you've consumed.

I still recommend as much solar on top that you can afford and fit. 200W was difficult to fit on the Bambi, but we made it happen. Yours may have a bit more room if you don't have the windup antenna. If I only had a single 100W panel, I would have charged only half the above amounts. It is so convenient to have the roof panels charging all the time. Then I'd recommend a smaller, more portable panel for those times you will be getting little sun at the site. The advantage of portable is that you can aim the panels at the sun, where they are perpendicular. This is what I'm doing now, after getting some results. I may use the Renogy 100W Eclipse suitcase, which is under 20 pounds. It sources 5.6A peak, so do the math: If you aim it at the sun, you get 5A in, let's say. 4 hours of that gets you 20Ah. That's as much as my 200W roof panels, since they weren't perpendicular to the sun. You'll get a lot more on a long summer day.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

I’d do the same. The 200W on top is a great convenience. There isn’t room for more. The angle on the roof isn’t optimal so a 109W portable may add as much or more than the 200 on the roof. If I ever park in shade I need portable panels anyway. My upgrade allowed me to camp for consecutive days,, but having a portable will allow additional options.
larry9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Somerville , Massachusetts
Portable solar and lithium batteries

Thank you very helpful and gives me info that points me in the direction of I have a lot I need to learn about batteries etc. but I get the main points and will look into roof solar panels and small suitcase solar for tree sites and lithium vs lead batteries. I already have Led lights so that helps Oh and a device to measure power on the battery.

Deb
somer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Wilmot , New Hampshire
Zamp solar suitcase and lithium batteries

According to the Zamp website "Any type of 12-volt deep cycle battery (lithium, gel, AGM, conventional lead-acid (wet), and calcium) will work with your Zamp Solar system." when discussing their suitcases.

I have contacted Zamp about whether their 160 watt solar suitcase will work with the lithium batteries in our new Pleasure-way Plateau. (sorry Airstream, we love you but my husband suffered a stroke and can no longer drive due to vision loss. The interstates are either too long for me or (in the case of the new 19') too short.)

Will let you know what Zamp says. We really have been happy with their system together with our 25FB and hope to still be able to use it when we are parked in the shade!
jagzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
First I would trash the PWM controller and replace it with an MPPT controller sized to handle both the panels on the roof and the portables. Then as long as the Vmpp and Voc of the roof mounted panels and the portables are a near match, wire them in parallel to the MPPT charge controller.

Since you apparently already have Victron equipment I suggest looking at their Smart Solar MPPT charge controllers. Then the controller can talk to your BMV. PM me if you want more info.

Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote