Old 07-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Coupeville , Washington
Portable Solar

I recently purchased my first AS second hand from a private party. Seller sweetened the deal with a never-been-used portable solar kit by GoPower (Model GP-PSK-120). Now I am trying to use that kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-P...go+power+solar

I store the trailer without shore power in a covered carport approx. 100 yards from my home. To keep the batteries charged I am connecting the solar kit to the AS via the optional 7-pin TV-to-AS connector kit. I have searched the forum on this topic and the results were inconclusive (to my mind). My question is: Must the main battery cutoff switch be in the "USE" or "STORE" position in order for the batteries to accept the charge? Does it matter? And what about the Converter? Does it factor into the equation? I would expect not tho' electrical matters are definitely not one of my strong points.

“Is this goin’ to be a standup fight, or another bug hunt?”
- Bill Paxton (Private Hudson in the movie Aliens, 1986)
christopherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
The converter is not involved.

I don't know how your store/use switch is wired. Somewhere between 2002 and now they changed. On mine, the converter and tow vehicle are always connected to the batteries; the store/use switch just disconnects the trailer from them. I'm not sure that is true with later models.

If you have access to a voltmeter or a 12 volt test light, plug it into the trailer on the same pins of the 7-pin connector that the solar plugs into while NOT connected to shore power. You should see 12 volts from the batteries. It not, change the setting of the store/use switch. If you have 12 volts in both positions, put the switch in store.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I don't the think it matters which position your battery disconnect is in, as the truck will charge the batteries in similar fashion. You may be able to avoid a connection by just clipping the solar panel direct to the batteries, less connectors is less chance for a voltage drop caused by possible resistance in them.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
My question is: Must the main battery cutoff switch be in the "USE" or "STORE" position in order for the batteries to accept the charge? Does it matter? And what about the Converter? Does it factor into the equation?
The position of the Use/Store switch is irrelevant and therefore doesn't matter according to the schematic provided for 2005 25' Safari. The converter has no effect on the battery when you're not connected to shore power.

You should be able to simply use the 7-pin adapter or connect the GoPower supplied alligator clips directly to the battery terminals.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:17 AM   #5
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Coupeville , Washington
Many thanks to all your input!

From your posts it appears I am doing nothing wrong. I just need to see some progress on the battery charge and until I replace the circa 2005 AS monitor panel with a something less squirrelly I'll just be guessing.

I'll be putting a meter on this contraption to try and quantify the process the next sunny day we have here. In Puget Sound. Washington.

Tho' probably this week!

Old 07-12-2016, 12:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
"Sun breaks" as an important part of the weather report always cracked me up in Seattle area when we visited family up there.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:35 AM   #7
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Coupeville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
The position of the Use/Store switch is irrelevant and therefore doesn't matter according to the schematic provided for 2005 25' Safari. The converter has no effect on the battery when you're not connected to shore power.

You should be able to simply use the 7-pin adapter or connect the GoPower supplied alligator clips directly to the battery terminals.
Thank you Al for going to this length (looking up the schematics) to assist me. I really appreciate it. To satisfy my curiosity as well as to increase my level of competence, I will delve into the schematics that are in the original AS Binder that came with the trailer and study them.
Chris
Old 07-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherb View Post
I recently purchased my first AS second hand from a private party. Seller sweetened the deal with a never-been-used portable solar kit by GoPower (Model GP-PSK-120). Now I am trying to use that kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-P...go+power+solar

I store the trailer without shore power in a covered carport approx. 100 yards from my home. To keep the batteries charged I am connecting the solar kit to the AS via the optional 7-pin TV-to-AS connector kit. I have searched the forum on this topic and the results were inconclusive (to my mind). My question is: Must the main battery cutoff switch be in the "USE" or "STORE" position in order for the batteries to accept the charge? Does it matter? And what about the Converter? Does it factor into the equation? I would expect not tho' electrical matters are definitely not one of my strong points.

Christopher, could you provide details or a link to the solar panel-7 pin adapter you are using? That would be a really slick way to place my solar panel away from the trailer and be plug and play!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-01-2016, 12:25 AM   #9
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Coupeville , Washington
Hi Lewis. Colorado Springs? I used to live there - on Chestnut St., off Garden of the Gods Rd.

Here are a couple of links to that 7-pin adapter:
The Manufacturer: http://gpelectric.com/products/7-pin-trailer-adapter

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-Trai...SZMXX5P7CFCS1R

Old 08-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I have a portable Zamp system. I just connect it directly to the batteries via the alligator clips.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:32 PM   #11
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Coupeville , Washington
You can also do that with the GoPower portable panel. The 7-pin plug adapter is an accessory. Alligator clip method is the standard setup.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Retired , Michigan
Real Solar Power

If you put in store that's what it does STORES POWER THAT THE BATTERY'S HAVE. Use is just that to feed current to the battery's it needs to be in USE.
Now I have a question, i want to have a charger to my solar that is a monitor more than a charger. i want it to charge the battery's full before the voltage floats, so that i can watch TV for 8 hours, brew a pot of perked coffee. I would like a conversation with someone that's not trying to sell me anything nor tell me how intelligent they are. I do not mean to offend but this subject to me is very short on real solutions. Tired of feeding, maintaining, hauling, gassing, storing, you get the idea, gen sets. Any thoughts out there.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Do you want to brew the coffee before or after watching 8 hours of TV?