Old 12-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
another vote for Honda

We decided on the Honda EU2000. We bought 2 and the parallel kit.

Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:33 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
Thanks everybody for all of the feedback!

OK, I'm leaning toward returning the Powerboss and buying the Kipor KGE3500TI.

"cosmotini"- I'll be the guinea pig.

I found one on Ebay. It happens to be near where my parents have a home in Lake Placid, FL (only 1.5 hrs from me and beautiful if you get a chance to visit). The Seller says I can buy and pick it up for the $878 "buy it now" price. That's not much more than my "contractor type", less than 1/2 the cost of a honda and as long as it runs the AC and one TV we're happy. Whatever we get i'll get back with you all and let you know how it runs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I like the idea of having a place to mount it on the trailer (maybe the tongue) and I might make something for that too in case we pull it with the Denali (thanks "wrepete" ).

"rseagle" The Kipor KGE3500TI has the same output as the Honda EU3000is so I thinking I'll be OK. One TV is at <150w and one at <25w (not that we'd wathc them both at the same time) so I think I'll be in the clear. I'll be mindful of the start up sequence.

I appreciate the input from all those who own "contractor type" generators. If Florida weren't so hot and if we were only going to use it where we've already camped where others have the same kind, then I'd probably keep it.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Old 12-23-2005, 02:15 PM   #31
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet

kstampa,

Marshall (a Forum member) has an informative web site: http://www.mswartz.com/

If your going for the tongue mount, this will be a good reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen-tongue mount.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	17210  
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weirton , West Virginia
Question

driftwood,
That looks like a real neat set up. How much weight does that ad to the tounge? and where is the jack?
Old 12-23-2005, 04:27 PM   #33
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I wonder how hard it is to covert the Kipor to propane

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:17 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Dunlap , Illinois
Hello Kstampa

After reading the posts that have answered your original question, I felt compelled to join the fray. I realize that most Airstreamers on this forum like the little Honda generators and frequently carry them in pairs behind the back seat of their Suburbans or unmounted in the beds of their trucks. If you ever have a collision those Hondas will come out of the back end like two gasoline loaded cannon balls mixing it up with your family. I just can't accept that risk.

Look, you could afford an Airstream. Why pinch pennies now?

There is a made in America, built for the motor home industry, 4KW Onan Micro-Quiet generator. You have to keep in mind that all generators, without exception, put out their advertised KW ratings only at elevations around 500' and below. Therfore you have to oversize a bit. This generator at full power is no louder that a conversational voice. It is approved by the US Forest Service for campground noise and spark arresting. I have run it at 8700' on a hot day powering my AC, plus microwave, plus converter, plus lights all at once.

It is mounted on a detachable mount in my truck bed. It is even padlocked in place. My power cable hooks to the front of the trailer, so when we pull into a rest stop, my Wife touches the remote control and she has power to run the microwave and A.C. just like in a big motor coach. The tonneau cover hides it so people don't even know its in there.

I never have to look over my shoulder and worry that it might catapult out of the truck bed. When I get home, it slides out of the bed onto a portable base on large casters which is level with the tail gate. It is then on stand-by duty providing emergency power for my home. Now I realize this only works if you have a pickup, but I think you have one. The cost is somewhere between $2,200 and $3,000, depending on how handy you are.

I know this depends on your budget, but someone on these forums has a good expression, "Suck it up, spend the bucks!"

Good luck on your decision,
Saddletramp
Old 12-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
You can always use the coated cable locks to lock each Honda into the bed of the truck. This should prevent them from coming in through the back window of the truck.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Cool

The Avalanche that I have has the bed securely covered, plus effective tie downs that make it easy to keep the generator(s) exactly where I put them. I've been accross country with them several times and they don't move. I believe there are safe methods for carrying a generator in a truck, or on the tongue of the AS, but I suppose none are foolproof when it comes to a serious accident!
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:57 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Dunlap , Illinois
Boy, this is getting to be a good lively discussion!

Here are a couple more thoughts. You can buy Onans as gasoline, propane or diesel. If you have a diesel truck you could mount a diesel gen set and draw fuel from the truck tank with a detachable line. If you use propane you get less power than gasoline.

Another thought to keep in mind is the availability of parts and warranty service. Onans have it all over the US and Canada. Also if you put your gen towards the front of the bed it is better weight distribution than on the tongue.

Merry Christmas Everyone,
Saddletramp
Old 12-23-2005, 07:53 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
I agree. If you don't want to be despised by your campground neighbors, you will want to buy a quiet generator.
And even at that, you may stillmeet someone like we did at a National Park campgound. At 9:56 local time, he knocked on our door, announced it was ten o'clock, and we'd BETTER turn our generator off! We showed him our 'atomic' clock, wished him a good night, and watched him walk back to his car and bed down for the night in the mid thirties weather we were experiencing!
And ours is a very quiet genset, with an extra muffler! Hate to think what someone like that would have to say, or would do, to someone running a contractors genset!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 12-24-2005, 06:52 AM   #39
Industrialist

Alexandria , .
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
Hate to think what someone like that would have to say, or would do, to someone running a contractors genset!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Bring extra spark plug wires. Occasionally someone will come by and cut them off'
Old 12-24-2005, 09:07 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weirton , West Virginia
I hope they are standing in water and are using un-insulated cutters when they do it!
Old 12-24-2005, 10:25 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
National parks

In the Shenandoah National park campgrounds they have an 8pm to 8am no generator rule. Our camp ground hosts took their job seriously. One night I was running the Suburban to top off our battery for the night and I got the knock on the door... I found out that any motor was not allowed from 8-8. I understand the rule now, but I was suprised that my Suburban would attract attention....
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:40 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstampa
OK, I'm leaning toward returning the Powerboss and buying the Kipor KGE3500TI.

I found one on Ebay. It happens to be near where my parents have a home in Lake Placid, FL (only 1.5 hrs from me and beautiful if you get a chance to visit). The Seller says I can buy and pick it up for the $878 "buy it now" price. That's not much more than my "contractor type", less than 1/2 the cost of a honda and as long as it runs the AC and one TV we're happy. Whatever we get i'll get back with you all and let you know how it runs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

"rseagle" The Kipor KGE3500TI has the same output as the Honda EU3000is so I thinking I'll be OK. One TV is at <150w and one at <25w (not that we'd wathc them both at the same time) so I think I'll be in the clear. I'll be mindful of the start up sequence.
KSTAMPA,

That looks like a real nice unit! It looks very similar to my Honda EU-3000is with wheel kit. It should start your A/C OK and once running, should have power to spare to run your TV and charge your battery. Good Luck. Keep us updated from time to time how it is holding up. I don't know about the reliability of the Chinese knockoff generators. I've always found out the hard way that "You get what you pay for".

2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote