Old 12-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
kstampa ----not to keep harping on the construction style gererators but to answer one of your questions. That type of generator is not acceptable even in generator use areas. -----Pieman

Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:18 PM   #16
Remember Burma Shave!
2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , S.Florida
Rivet FWIW (for what its worth)

My EU3000 runs on 'Economy' with only a slight temporary 'bump' in RPM when the AC cycles. So, if 3600 RPM is full load operation, then, unless I turn off the 'Economy' switch, it runs at about 1/2 or 2/3 of that speed. I am connected to the 30A side of outlets with my trailer umbilical.

Further, I will have two 110V / 100W halogen lights & a television in operation, and the Univolt is in constant draw while in full operation. Only the microwave will place a full load on the gen while the other stuff is online.

NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Weirton , West Virginia

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 4000 watt generator from a local hardware (construction grade... but it makes only about half the noise I get from my Lawnboy mower) for $275 because it was the "floor model" (never ran, didn't even have oil or gas init yet and came with the same factory warrenty). It was made by Buffalo Tools. I am very satisfied with it and no one has ever complained about it being to noisy. I guess it depends on when you run it to charge your battery, cook (microwave etc.) or cool out the AS. I suppose if you planned on running it constantly till the wee hours of the night, it would be offensive to someone including me. I don't think I could have done any better for the money, no it's not top of the line name brand, but it is more than capable of supplying my needs on a temporary basis camping, remote construction projects or emergency use at home! I say it's up to how much you want to spend and how often you may need to use a generator while camping that should dictate what you buy.
wannabefulltime'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
thanks for the support "wannabefulltime'n". Unfortunately my experience in generator camping is extrememly limited (only 1 camp site), but I don't want to buy anything I regret later.

RE Kipor here's sopme interesting stuff on that generator on
kstampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Cool kstampa

I know what you mean about buying something you will regret: been there and done that many times.

I'm not saying the Honda EU2000i is what you should get, but that choice has worked well for me. To make the overall price of two less painful, I purchased the first one, and then the second a year later. I made my own connection to have the two work together for less than $20, so my total for the two was around $2000. I like the flexibility of using just one [unless two are required], and since they are not heavy, getting them out and putting them away is not too demanding for an old man like me.

I have a box mounted on the tongue of the trailer behind the LP tanks that I made to carry one, and the other I keep in the back of the truck until I need it. We usually boondock at higher [therefore cooler] elevations in the summer, so I don't use the second one very often.

If you needed one to run AC most of the time, then a single, more powerful [quiet] generator would be best, especially if you can keep it in your truck and run it from there so you don't need to unload it every time you use it.

If you intend to do most or all of your camping in specifically known locations, then just buying the most for the least for those locations will probably be just right.
1996 28ft Classic
2008 Silverado Duramax 2500HD
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Originally Posted by kstampa
"rseagle" your comments seem to be very applicable to my situation. I believe we have the same 13500btu AC, would you confirm? Can you run AC and watch TV at the same time with the EU3000? I'd love to get the specifics of your situation!!
The EU-3000is will start a 13.5K AC, but you have to be careful that nothing else is on. As for the TV, once the AC starts the amp requirement drops considerably, so it might be possible to run a small TV. I guess it depends on the TV. I would recommend a portable DC TV. We have a 9" Toshiba AC/DC DVD Combo that we plug into the DC outlet. It draws off the battery, which is being charged from the generator even while the AC is running. It works for us.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:08 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
For what its worth, we just purchased the Honda EU2000i. On its first and only campout, it ran all lights, t.v., heater (on low -600w in 20 deg. weather) and charged appliance powerpacks at the same time. It is very quiet and light weight. So far I am very pleased with it, its one of the best purchases I've made besides of course our Airstream.

Good Luck

airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:13 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
I almost forgot, the Honda has the Eco-throttle feature which allows it to run at a lower RPM until an increase in demand is needed. This feature saves gas and makes it quieter. Very Nice feature.
airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I've had my honda for over two years and about 12,000 miles. I used it once when a friend's new unit's batteries went dead. We got him charged up and the unit ran for about 4 hours. But its nice to have it when you need it.
Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Originally Posted by kstampa
thanks for the support "wannabefulltime'n". Unfortunately my experience in generator camping is extrememly limited (only 1 camp site), but I don't want to buy anything I regret later.

RE Kipor here's sopme interesting stuff on that generator on
Kstampa---in your first post you said you HAVE PURCHASED his generator. Now you say you don't want to buy anything you'll regret. Are you seeking approval for your purchase or honestly looking for advice??---Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:22 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Keith, I made an adapter with parts purchased at Home Depot to enable me to plug my 30 Amp Airstream RV plug into my 8Kw Generac with the 30 amp twistlock. I can take a pic if you need to see it.

Be wary of 5 KW construction grade generators. Most only have 2500 watts available at EACH receptical on a 120V outlet. I had a cheap Campbell Hausfield that would NOT run the Coleman A/C. Voltage would drop to 96 volts!
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:56 AM   #26
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I too for a few years now have been looking at getting a generator. I was sold on the Honda line, but then I came across the Yamaha line from a company that modifies the generator to work on varios fuels.

See in my case, I don't have a pickup tow vehicle and I don't want the gas smell in the RV or Suburban. I think these generators are just what I am looking for since I don't want to do the mod myself.

These might not be what you need, but thought I'd share the link if it hasen't already been put on the thread:
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:10 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member
2005 28' International CCD
Stanwood , WA
Send a message via MSN to Bill M Send a message via Skype™ to Bill M
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Off Generator Topic (we use and love Honda Eu2000..) but I fell in love with Bill's Stillwater Landing web site... Need Lat/Long for GPS, or better directions.. As Airstream + Excursion owner and Piper Comanche owner, I'm struggling to decide whether to drive in or fly in... Perhaps an "Airstream Fly-In Event"? Sad to think we were in East Glacier and south of park in 2004 while on way to Oshkosh Air Show and didn't know about the site... We'd have made a major detour...

John McG
Sorry you missed us! We are here "in the hangar " for the holidays. Last weekend it was -15, last night rain.
Our splash in is this Aug. and many pilots come in their RV's We have pleanty of room and will have four new hook ups (no septic) for this year. If you get the AOPA mag, we were included in the Dec. hangar article. Next week it is back to AWO where our biz is located. No question, an Airstream is a "pilots RV"
Bill and Connie
Bill M
05' CCD 28 foot# 2905
04 Excursion Dsl.
7 kitties
Stanwood WA & Whitefish Mt
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:32 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member
1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Honda for us

I looked at both the Yamaha and Honda brands. We settled on the Honda because of the light weight of the Eu2000i. It's easy to start and really, I mean REALLY quiet.

We're going camping at Padre Island Nat'l Seashore over the New Years weekend, so I'll let you know how the generator works.

PS. We'll be camping right on the beach so I'll be sure to forward pictures later.

Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote