Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic S/O
Gates Mills , Ohio
Portable Generator transport

We have been streaming for about 15 months now and loving it! A recent trip to Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park at the beginning of Autumn taught us that the two batteries in our '06 Classic S/O will not run the furnace blower for more that one cold night! So we are thinking "Honda" like several of the other RVs in the park had.

I am thinking that we just put the genset in the back of the Yukon XL as we travel. But I have heard that it's not safe to carry gasoline in the SUV for any extended period of time (fumes mostly). What's the community's opinion?
4arstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forum! We love the RMNP also. I was working in Boulder and my wife came to visit. Spent the day seeing the sites of RMNP and looking for elk. Did not see any. Later driving through Estes Park elk were all over the town, walking down the streets.

About the generator, I have a Honda EU1000 to charge my battery, but I have a PU truck and store the gen and fuel in the bed. You have several options. One member built a platform on the tounge to carry the generator and fuel. You could always goto a propane powered generator and tap off of the propane bottles on your trailer. Yamaha makea a line of multi fuel generators and I have seen Honda's converted to propane.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Here is what we did to carry our two Honda 2000's and spare gas can.

Had receiver hitch mounted to front of van, the put storage basket on front.

Strapped down and then used 3 Master Python locks to keep them from falling off or walking off.

This allows me to use them while on the front of the Van or take the whole basket off, chain it all to trailer.

It worked great on a recent trip west to Devil's tower, Rushmore and Yellowstone.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8090323.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	26775   Click image for larger version

Name:	gensonFrnt.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	26776  

loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Dont know about that

As a former firefighter/EMT I'm not so crazy about 5 gallons of gas outside of the frame, let alone on the bumper. It looks like a ticking bomb to me, I respectfully urge you to rethink storing gas there.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Oxblood

2003 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
My wife did the same thing, 4arstrm. We dry camped in the Santa Fe Nat'l Forest beyond Cowles. Only other Rv's were a few elk bow hunters in early Sept. Unfortunately for us the 2 batteries got very low after a day!! And only fans, lights, and radio were used! Guess we're too wasteful of energy. We're looking at a Honda EU3000 to keep in the back of the truck for more serious dry camping ( the kind that allows A/c). Any experiences with them? Dennis
oxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
There was a thread a few weeks back that dealt with Honda Generators. Do a search, there was a lot of info there, comparisons, etc.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxblood
My wife did the same thing, 4arstrm. We dry camped in the Santa Fe Nat'l Forest beyond Cowles. Only other Rv's were a few elk bow hunters in early Sept. Unfortunately for us the 2 batteries got very low after a day!! And only fans, lights, and radio were used! Guess we're too wasteful of energy. We're looking at a Honda EU3000 to keep in the back of the truck for more serious dry camping ( the kind that allows A/c). Any experiences with them? Dennis
Just do a search for Honda and you'll read all kinds of opinions on the Honda 3000 and 1 vs 2 generators. I too am looking for the capacity to run my A/C after purchasing a Yamaha 2400 and being extremely dissatisfied. More on that topic later. I have read every thread here on portable generators - there's a lot of info and opinions from real time campers and users. You will be able to decide based on all the pro's/con's you will read about. Sadly, I didn't head their expert advice. (penny foolish)
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
If all you need to do is charge the batteries, (not AC microwave, etc), maybe look into Eu1000 and a 40 amp automotive smart charger. The smart charger uses a 14.4 volt fast charge rate (which is typically faster than the onboard converter). Possibly you can carry this on a roof rack or somehow on top of the trailer's battery box. I agree fumes can be a problem if carrying generator/gasoline inside the vehicle. I tried carrying my Yamaha 3000 SEB inside a class B once and wouldn't do it again.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
_

. , .
hi 4arstrm and WELCOME! to the forums...

lots of threads on gensets, gas cans, carry options so search some...

i carry mine inside a rubbermaid container.

a small ventless gas container is in a 3 gallon ziplock bag and also inside a container...

my truck shell isn't sealed airtight but i cannot smell gasoline back there ever....

dirty socks and beer cans yes, but no petrol smells.

really one of the best reasons for choosing a truck/shell combo vs suv,

is so the gear compartment really is isolated from the animal compartment....better for odors, dirt and sudden stops.

with a big suv another option is mount a small platform above the receiver just behind the tailgate. the honda and a gerry can could both ride there.

hi loechli and thanks for posting the picture,

but i fully agree with rodney, that van set up is scary. is that even legal?

gasoline in front of the engine?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I have visions of a dark and stormy night, and a van rear-ending a minivan full of kids, and 5 gallons of flaming gas, plus the gas in the generators, spraying all over the occupants of both vehicles. "Film at eleven."
I strongly urge you to reconsider the mounting position of the gas can and generators.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #11
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli
Here is what we did to carry gas can.

Steve
Steve that is really dangerous not only to your truck and passangers but upon impact to the other car.

Re-think that one, please!

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Because our 16' Bambi carries only a series-24 battery which can be expended in one 24-hour period, we carry a Honda 2000 generator. We trailer with an SUV, and given the fumes and potential for fire, carrying the generator in the vehicle is not an option. Likewise, carrying gasoline on a rack either in front or in back of the car or trailer has never seemed like a good idea - one good rear-ender could make headlines! The only thing I've been able to come up with is placing the generator just inside the door of the trailer. Last thing loaded and first thing out. If something does happen, at least people in the car are somewhat protected.

So far, this arrangement has worked well, but I'm wide open to suggestion.
(one of the nice things about the Honda is that with the cap vent closed, the thing can be turned inverted and still not leak)

Larry
jglabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:22 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Thanks for the concern all, I had simiar thoughts and don't carry the can with gas inside on the front. If I am going to carry it on the front of the van, I will drain the gas out, then once at camp get tank filled and leave at camp with generators.

As for the generators on the front, I equated it to a moped or motorcylce that is stored on the front bumper of many motor homes.

Appreciate the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
As a former firefighter/EMT I'm not so crazy about 5 gallons of gas outside of the frame, let alone on the bumper. It looks like a ticking bomb to me, I respectfully urge you to rethink storing gas there.
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Eu2000....

we carry our generator (no extra gas can here... seems to have plenty of run time for what I need... haven't needed extra gas yet... knock on wood) inside our van with a plastic bag over it. I really don't notice fumes from it (the rubbermaid idea sounds even better).

Love our little generator -
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglabrown
Because our 16' Bambi carries only a series-24 battery which can be expended in one 24-hour period, we carry a Honda 2000 generator. We trailer with an SUV, and given the fumes and potential for fire, carrying the generator in the vehicle is not an option. Likewise, carrying gasoline on a rack either in front or in back of the car or trailer has never seemed like a good idea - one good rear-ender could make headlines! The only thing I've been able to come up with is placing the generator just inside the door of the trailer. Last thing loaded and first thing out. If something does happen, at least people in the car are somewhat protected.

So far, this arrangement has worked well, but I'm wide open to suggestion.
(one of the nice things about the Honda is that with the cap vent closed, the thing can be turned inverted and still not leak)

Larry
Think about a propane conversion.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Hmm...I truly hadn't considered that. When I logged on and saw your reply, I searched under "propane generator conversions" and found a really good thread from last year (2005). Had to gulp a couple of times when the discussion got around to drilling out the high speed jet, but was able to relax some a couple of posts later when someone said they had their Honda dealer take care of it. Most of my questions were covered in that thread, but I am curious what the conversion does to the already-low dB level?
jglabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I just got and ran a Yamaha pre-configured to run on propane only 1000 watt generator.

For 6 hours of use, it used next to nothing in terms of fuel. I had the fridge, 2 fantastic vents runnning at speed level 3, the stereo (w/ 100 watt sub on) and several lights and was a bit more than half the 1000 watt limit.

It wouldn't power the A/C unit, but I knew that before I got it. It also won't run the microwave and most likely won't run a convection over either.

I ran a 960 watt electric chain saw off it (not while connected to the Safari) and it did a wonderful job.

Best part is I can keep it in the Suburban while in transit and there are no foul odors, no extra containers I need to put it in, just throw it in the back and go.

Right now US Carb has the Yamaha pre-built with the propane option. Comes with battery charging cables and a tachometer/hourmeter standard. Any model you choose will cost more than any non-propane converted generator, but in my tests this past week, it was worth it.

If you need more power, I would suggest the propane powered 2000 watt Yamaha generator.

Spec for spec the Yamaha meets the Honda 1000 in every category. The Yamaha 1000 has a bigger engine than the Honda 1000 and is extremely quiet under nearly full load. There is ZERO noticable difference in running on propane vs gasoline no matter what anyone says. On propane, with all the bells and whistles running, the Yamaha barely sipped propane. I would estimate at least 24 hours or more before emptying a 20lb tank at half and at times full load.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I bought a Yamaha 2400 and the propane conversion kit from US Carb. I never did the conversion because I sold the generator. An adapter plate goes between the carb and the engine, no drilling, and allows you to still use gasoline as well as propane. I still have the conversion kit, but will probably return it or exchange it to fit my next generator.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I have a Honda EU2000i and keep it in a large Rubbermaid container. No fumes problems - which is surprising because the Rubbermaid container is not really airtight. I do not bring a gas can... I just fill up the generator at the pump.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:58 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Is there room for a Honda or Yamaha 1000 in the back trunk of a new 19ft Bambi?

I vaguely recalling opening the trunk at the dealer, but don't remember the size. We won't have our AS for another week or so, so I can't check this out myself.

Isn't having a gas generator in a rubbermaid container dangerous if fumes build up inside?

I'm definately interested in the propane version mentioned. That would provide more options for transport.

Lots of great info as always!

Thanks
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote