Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Santa Clarita , California
Question Portable Generator Sound Levels: One Honda EU2000i vs. Two Paralleled Honda EU2000i

Does anyone have any real world experience with the difference in sound levels between running one Honda EU2000i portable generator vs. running two Honda EU2000i portable generators in parallel? Honda claims only a small increase in sound level (dB) output, but I'm dubious. I sure would like to know before I buy. I don't want to have a noisy camping experience and I'd certainly hate to have my campground neighbors hating me!
AndyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
safariIA

2008 20' Safari SE
Bettendorf , Iowa
Not sure but I will have 2 running this weekend

I have just ordered a 2nd EU2000 and the parallel kit and will run the set this weekend and report back. I had to use the two generator approach because lifting one 3K yamaha or honda was going to be too heavy.
safariellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have a pair of 2000i's and have run both one and two together. I can not really notice any significant increase in sound when running both. When both are running, you can still hold a conversation right next to them.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPenny View Post
...Honda claims only a small increase in sound level (dB) output, but I'm dubious...
the specifics are covered in this thread, posts 9 and 13...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...00i-35433.html

with more back ground in this post...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/208822-post12.html

and many reports spread out in the genset threads that 2 sounds basically the same as one...

and when LOAD is considered there will be times when 2 runny will generate LESS noise than 1 at near capacity...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPenny View Post
Does anyone have any real world experience with the difference in sound levels between running one Honda EU2000i portable generator vs. running two Honda EU2000i portable generators in parallel? Honda claims only a small increase in sound level (dB) output, but I'm dubious. I sure would like to know before I buy. I don't want to have a noisy camping experience and I'd certainly hate to have my campground neighbors hating me!
Ordinary acoustics states that when you double the noise, such as you would with two equal sized generators, you only increase the sound level by 3 (three) decibels.

Most humans can barely detect 2 decibels.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The inverter type generators in general, compared to their counterparts (non-inverter type) are significantly more quiet. As Moosetags stated, he can still have a conversation with two of them running.

Last night's storm knocked out power to my parents subdivision. I brought my little 1000 Yamaha LP over to keep their fridge from spoiling. Then we walked over to the neighbors who had a 5500 watt non inverter generator with a 10hp motor running. You could NOT even remotely have any conversation and hear the other person within say 5-6' of it (and it was nowhere near full load...hard pressed to be even at 1/4 load), while you could speak softly around the inverter generator.

I don't know if the Hondas have the eco feature, which can also help reduce dbs. The Yamaha I have when there is a call for more power, it ramps up the RPMs. Demand decreases, the engine slows a bit, saving fuel and reducing dbs.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

I had a question

What about the third frequency created by the sum difference of the two motors unavoidably operating at two slightly different frequencies?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
What about the third frequency created by the sum difference of the two motors unavoidably operating at two slightly different frequencies?
The inverter type gensets that support parallel operation phase lock with any AC detected on the output line.

That is why you can't just parallel any two gensets because only the inverter models, and really only a few of them, have the electronics to handle this problem.

(it's also why the output of these gensets is typically quite a bit cleaner than you get even off the grid)
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Harmonic Intervention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Wow- that's really forward thinking!! ever spend any time on a C-130?

I put my Honda 1000 just a few feet from the tongue opposite the entry door. Then I put a fold up chair next to it with a swim towel draped over the chair. This almost puts the thing into the stealth mode!
I have noticed that others with the H2000 seem to run on eco mode more than my 1000 tho, all about the load. So many times the 2000 is quieter!
and I've witnessed many 2000 hooked together, I could not tell any difference in db level. The air conditioner thats being powered maked more noise than the Honda.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The questions are usually matching electrical, not sound. The electrical has defined frequencies. The sound has no predominant frequency from anything I can tell.

Your biggest sound problem is probably going to come from resonance, such as a truck bed the genset might be sitting in. I think that is usually minor compared to shadowing or reflective effects.

It does help to avoid spaces with walls on two or more sides (such as between rigs) and to make sure that the gensets are on the other side of the rig than the social side.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

I hear Jenny singing

I percieve generators making a sound, or note(s). When I am in a twin engine aircraft, and the engines are running at a slightly different RPM, I hear a slow pulse. It drives me crazy after awhile.
I think I understand now that the two jennys are syncronized as far as electrical output. Now I am curious to HEAR two 2000's running.

Sorry, it has been rumored that curiousity killed the cat by hitting it over the head with my mandolin.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
I have 2 as well!

We run two Eu 2000i's as well. They do seem to run in a synchronized tone. My other addiction that goes well with camping is going to Nascar/Indycar races.

The tracks have no hookups so you get to dry camp for 1 week. Often times you will need A/C so the gennys work great. I've come up with a contraption that works great for extending the amount of running time that you can get out of the two gennys. I'll see if I can find the post and will attach it here for those that are interested.

Cheers!
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Here's how I did it.

You can save youself a bunch of money by just buying a marine gas tank, 2 marine fittings and a marine hose w/squeese ball. One marine fitting is threaded into an extra generator cap the other marine fitting is threaded into the gas tank. All parts except the gas caps were at Academy Sports. I recommend buying a new gas cap for your marine fitting because that allows you to remove it and put on the 'stock' cap for travelling.

When I'm ready to crank them up, I just set my marine tanks beside the generators and fire them up. Because all of these parts are for marine application they are heavy duty and safety oriented.

I did this set up for both of my 2000i's and I spent a little under $100 for both generators.

Attached image(s)
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Windcrest , Texas
I bought an EU2000I honda inverter generator used. I have no manual. Can somebody please tell me the correct oil to use in this machine. Much appreciated!
Silver Dolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Dolla View Post
...I have no manual...
hi dolla...

i use 5-30 mobil 1 syn, but the manual calls for any quality 30w oil...

one quart is good for 2 oil changes + a little left over.

in the cold months 0w-30 will pull much easier on starting, but below ~35f they are hard to start regardless.

so if i need to use them when cold, they come indoors for a bit to warm up.

attached is a pdf of the owner's manual which should be correct for your genset....

it is a 2mb file, so it may take a few seconds to download, but u can copy and save it to your 'puter.

cheers
2air'
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EU2000i.pdf (2.12 MB, 214 views)

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Windcrest , Texas
2air,
you da man! muchos gracias!
Silver Dolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:39 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Santa Clarita , California
Swanny,
I don't suppose you have a 15k BTU A/C unit? I am wondering if two paralleled EU2000i generators can startup a 15k A/C unit. Thanks for your input.
AndyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #18
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
There's no perceivable difference running two Hondas. The sound waves merge like ripples in a pond. Eco-mode is even quieter.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #19

Currently Looking...
Berkeley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Dolla View Post
I bought an EU2000I honda inverter generator used. I have no manual. Can somebody please tell me the correct oil to use in this machine. Much appreciated!
Use the internet to Search for the Honda Manual on their website. All of them are there.
binnhill133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #20

2002 28' Classic
Fredericksburg , Texas
Hi Brian! I know this thread is from long ago but I'm brand new to Airstreaming and your posts have helped tremendously! Did you mount your two generators to your Airstream? If so, could you please post a pic??? Many thanks!!

Jill
hyginkster is offline   Reply With Quote