Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2003, 02:44 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
I just picked up the Honda eu3000i to run the air conditioner on my 16' CCD. It's an 11,000 btu unit and the documentation said minimum amp required is 25. It's a bit heavy but my wife and I can get into and out of the back of my truck. Haven't tried it yet. We're planning an early spring trip to AZ. We live in the cool fog of the Humboldt coast CA where a heat wave is 65 degrees in the summer and we bake whenever we go inland. It looks like overkill compared to the eu2000 but we needed the juice. The DC output says 12-amps. Any tips on charging the trailer battery? Anything I should watch out for?

Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 03:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Question 3000i follow up question

Jamie, Did you buy the 3000i from a local dealer or via mail order? Would you mind posting details and price?
Thanks,
Ken
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 03:15 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
I am the world's worst shopper! I just bought it at a local dealer. Paid $1,943.29 I just had a birthday and that helped to justify it.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 03:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
eu20001 & eu30001 on backorder?

Jamie, Thanks for the details. I just checked mayberrys.com and both models are listed on backorder till December. Think I'll check my local dealers.

Thanks,
Ken
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 05:21 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

We purchased our Honda 2000i from a local dealer in the heat of camping season, first half of August. The internet retailers we found recommended on the forum were all back ordered. We were able to negotiate near the internet price with the local dealer. (He initally wanted full retail for the generator). It was good business on his part, because we ended up buying a new chain saw from him as well.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:14 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Yamaha generators

Hi All,
As an alternative to the hondas you might want to check out the Yamaha 3000iseb which has a boost feature to start the A/C. I have a friend who recently bought one and is very happy with it. It comes with wheels so you can roll it around or up and down out of the truck. It is very very quiet. I believe he paid about $1750 for it. You might check out yamahagenerators.com for more info.
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 12:30 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

I have owned a small Honda Generator for eighteen years. With proper maintenance, they will last.

However, people often get confused between AC output wattage and DC output wattage. They are NOT the same.

A Honda EU1000 or EU2000 only put out 96 DC watts at 8 amps and the EU3000 has a rating of 144 watts DC at 12 amps.

If you have a small generator, it may be to your benefit to use the AC output and a GOOD charger to maintain your trailers batteries. These chargers have been designed to charge batteries. The DC terminals from generators do not have the extra circuitry to protect a battery.

For those of you who are tired of lifting generators and are good bargain hunters, may find that an Auragen is the way to go. They are mainly used on commercial and military vehicles. They have a pure AC output and can be had from 5 to 12 KW with or without DC. The power source mounts on the engine or a pto if so equipped. The controller fits wherever you can find a space usually in the back of a pickup or in the area between the inner box and the outer sheet metal of a fleetside pickup truck.

I have two. One for a ford and one for a Chevy/GMC Duramax Diesel. These Auragens are quite expensive but if you are patient and resourceful, you can pick up new ones for around $300 including the mounting package. As long as you have fuel to run your tow vehicle, you have power.

Go to Auragen.com for technical details. I am not connected with Auragen in any way, although I wish I were.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:32 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

MASHEP,
Where in southern California were you able to negotiate the honda generator internet price?
Clark
csimingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:43 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

I corrected my earlier post, I think we were within $25 of the internet price. We bought the generator and a chain saw, so I'm sure that helped with the deal. Sorry, I don't have the retailer name or exact $$ handy. We called several in the LA County area, most had no Honda generators or wanted full pop. Now I would expect that they are more available?
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 04:18 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Auragen Question

Diesel,

I went to the Auragen site and found it quite interesting. Self admittedly, I don't know much about all of this, but could the Auragen system replace the generator all together?

Are you able to take the output from that and plug it into the RV? Can it run the AC unit and distribute clean power? What am I missing?
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 10:47 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

joshua32046,

The Auragen site has pictures of cutting the vehicles sheet metal skin and placing whatever type of AC outlet that meets your requirements and matches the capacity of the specific Auragen ordered. Usually at least one 120 volt oulet and one 240 outlet. Remember you can also oder it with various DC outputs.

On both of mine, 5KW AC only, I ordered the optional Extension Cord Kits. There are a number of Extension Cord Kits available depending on the outlets you require. The output then comes via an amored cable and a military spec. weather proof panel connector. I secured mine to the inside sheet metal at the very rear of the pickup box on the driver side. I plug the Extension Cord Kit into that outlet.

The Auragen will run my 30 amp 1995 30' Excella 1000 with power to spare. My wife and I like to fish for Kokanee, land locked salmon, in the high lakes of Southern Oregon which requires boondocking. When needed for hooking up the Airstream, I bring the cord from the Airstream through the back of the pickup and plug it into the Extension Cord Kit. I do not have a tail gate with the type of canopy I have, ARE's MX Series, and the cord will fit tightly between the body and the canopy's large lift door through the weather stripping. Doing it this way keeps all connections out of the weather.

When using the Auragen for other purposes such as running tools or compressors, I run the Extension Cord Kit with the included 20 foot cord to wherever I want. I did add better water proof covers to the three outlets provided with the kit. There are three outlet plugs on the Extension Cord Kit, one 240 volt and two 120 volt.

With the proper transfer switch, you can power the essential utilities and appliances in your house in an emergency.

You can also run the Auragen at reduced capacity while the vehicle is under way.

The 12 volt DC air compressors provided for automotive use are quite whimpy and the better ones are expensive. With the Auragen, you can buy a small fairly inexpensive but good quality AC compressor and mount it in or under your truck. This will allow you to inflate tires in no time at all. You can also run air tools.

If you do get one, you will have to get the computer controller programmed by an authorized dealer to match your particular vehicle. These dealers are few and far between and the ones in the Northwest don't like dealing with individuals. They would rather deal with large corporations or the military. Other areas of the country have responsive dealers. It also helps if you are or know an electrician. The AC output is simple but if your not familiar with working with AC, find someone who is. The instructions that come with the Auragen are very clear.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:58 AM   #32
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
This looks really cool,

I have many ideas how this could be used.

Place it on a Motorhome and not need to run the gas genset while traveling, heck even better add it to a Diesel motorhome and not burn the LP gas for power.

300 bucks is cheap compared to the cost of a genset. 9 HP reduction in engine output seems like alot, but compared to the fuel used by a normal genset I would think it is a wash. If you run the roof AC and not the dash AC I bet the diffrence in mileage would be minimal. One less motor to maintain, and if I am reading it right you can get the DC power you need off the same unit so it could replace the Alternator???? Hight output alternators can cost 300 bucks easy.

There has to be a catch, it cannot be that good. Why have we not seen these on the big MH chassis? I would think it would be a perfect fit IMHO.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:12 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

There must be a catch

I was so interested in this system that I wrote AuraGen. I am attaching the response that I recieved. Please make sure to note the price:

"Thanks for your interest in the AuraGen. The AuraGen is available in two
basic models, the G5000 and the G8500 producing 5kW and 8.5kW respectively.
Please note that the AuraGen is a vehicle-integrated system, and therefore
it is designed to work in conjunction with a truck, SUV, van, or RV engine.
The AuraGen provides extremely pure sine wave output. It can readily power
sensitive electronic equipment such as computers.

The Honda models you referenced do provide clean power, however, they provide
lower power outputs of 2kW and 3kW.

The price of the AuraGen G5000 is: $3,720.00 MSRP and the G8500 is:
$5,053.00. Prices do not include installation which typically will add
another $800.00. Contact me if you have any additional questions or wish to place an order. Thanks again for your interest in the AuraGen."

Sounds like a great system, I just need to figure out how to get it for $300!
Old 10-07-2003, 12:54 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Joshua,
If you find any for $300 please buy two of them. I will pay you for the second one plus shipping!
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:20 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

I'll tell you what, if you can find one for $300, I will pay you $500 plus shipping for it!
Old 10-07-2003, 03:14 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

I bought both of the G5000 Auragens off of eBay. The first one I got for $2000 was an unused demo unit. The one for the Duramax I bought new from an authorized dealer trying to reduce their inventory for $300. Shipping and the Extension Cord Kits were extra.

The military was and is using many of these generators. But now, the military is using more of the new fuel cells in their mobile units. Competition has been good for us individual users. The price is starting to fall. And you will see more of these in surplus.

These units are not meant to replace your alternator and you will regret it if try to.

The mounting kit is individually tailored to each vehicle and motor combination. The new turbo diesels installations are a challenge. On the Duramax, the whole front end of the engine's hardware must be rearranged to get the Auragen to fit. Even the ECM has to be relocated and in some cases the ECM wiring harness has to be lengthened manually by piecing out. You had better know how to turn a wrench and build harnesess.

I am currently modifying the Auragen's In-cab Control to intergrate into the Silverado's blank cubby hole switch panels in the dash board. You won't be able to tell there is an Auragen installed from the inside of the cab or from the outside of the truck.

I sometimes build barns and homes in areas that do not have power. I have installed a 56 gallon Transfer Flow replacement diesel fuel tank in the Duramax truck. The high idle control via the Auragen will let me work all day with the normal tools required to take on such projects without lugging a generator and the required fuel and maintenance.

Oh, did I mention, that there is no maintenace to the Auragen itself! You maintain your truck and you have maintained the Auragen.

Any specific question, ask away. I have the manuals

Once I finish installing the one for the Duramax, I will sell the other one. I am now retired and I don't need two.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #37

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
St Paul , Minnesota
Hi ET and others,
I just purchased an Auragen G5000 and plan to power my tow vehicle a 1941 Greyhound 3701 and my tow vehicle, a vintage Airstream that is yet to be purchased. Is it still working for you? Are you using it through your deep cell bateries when the engine isn't running? I would love more detail if you are willing to share. We have no installers in MN left and I get no response from the company.

Regards,
Taylor
Taylor 3701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor 3701 View Post
Hi ET and others,
I just purchased an Auragen G5000 and plan to power my tow vehicle a 1941 Greyhound 3701 and my tow vehicle, a vintage Airstream that is yet to be purchased. Is it still working for you? Are you using it through your deep cell bateries when the engine isn't running? I would love more detail if you are willing to share. We have no installers in MN left and I get no response from the company.

Regards,
Taylor
Welcome to the forum Taylor! FYI this is a very old thread, so it is unlikely any previous posters are still monitoring. If you Quote someone he might get an email to that effect and reply.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:36 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Why do you have to charge your batteries every two weeks if your unit is stored? I omit this problem while my unit is in storage by disconnecting the cable from the battery terminal. I re-attached them only when I get underway or have to power the unit for some reason. This eliminate the need to charge my batteries and it seems the water level in the batteries remain the same. I probably have misunderstood your post.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote