Old 10-06-2003, 10:43 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member
I corrected my earlier post, I think we were within $25 of the internet price. We bought the generator and a chain saw, so I'm sure that helped with the deal. Sorry, I don't have the retailer name or exact $$ handy. We called several in the LA County area, most had no Honda generators or wanted full pop. Now I would expect that they are more available?

MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 04:18 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member
Auragen Question

I went to the Auragen site and found it quite interesting. Self admittedly, I don't know much about all of this, but could the Auragen system replace the generator all together?

Are you able to take the output from that and plug it into the RV? Can it run the AC unit and distribute clean power? What am I missing?

joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 10:47 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

The Auragen site has pictures of cutting the vehicles sheet metal skin and placing whatever type of AC outlet that meets your requirements and matches the capacity of the specific Auragen ordered. Usually at least one 120 volt oulet and one 240 outlet. Remember you can also oder it with various DC outputs.

On both of mine, 5KW AC only, I ordered the optional Extension Cord Kits. There are a number of Extension Cord Kits available depending on the outlets you require. The output then comes via an amored cable and a military spec. weather proof panel connector. I secured mine to the inside sheet metal at the very rear of the pickup box on the driver side. I plug the Extension Cord Kit into that outlet.

The Auragen will run my 30 amp 1995 30' Excella 1000 with power to spare. My wife and I like to fish for Kokanee, land locked salmon, in the high lakes of Southern Oregon which requires boondocking. When needed for hooking up the Airstream, I bring the cord from the Airstream through the back of the pickup and plug it into the Extension Cord Kit. I do not have a tail gate with the type of canopy I have, ARE's MX Series, and the cord will fit tightly between the body and the canopy's large lift door through the weather stripping. Doing it this way keeps all connections out of the weather.

When using the Auragen for other purposes such as running tools or compressors, I run the Extension Cord Kit with the included 20 foot cord to wherever I want. I did add better water proof covers to the three outlets provided with the kit. There are three outlet plugs on the Extension Cord Kit, one 240 volt and two 120 volt.

With the proper transfer switch, you can power the essential utilities and appliances in your house in an emergency.

You can also run the Auragen at reduced capacity while the vehicle is under way.

The 12 volt DC air compressors provided for automotive use are quite whimpy and the better ones are expensive. With the Auragen, you can buy a small fairly inexpensive but good quality AC compressor and mount it in or under your truck. This will allow you to inflate tires in no time at all. You can also run air tools.

If you do get one, you will have to get the computer controller programmed by an authorized dealer to match your particular vehicle. These dealers are few and far between and the ones in the Northwest don't like dealing with individuals. They would rather deal with large corporations or the military. Other areas of the country have responsive dealers. It also helps if you are or know an electrician. The AC output is simple but if your not familiar with working with AC, find someone who is. The instructions that come with the Auragen are very clear.
diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 10:58 AM   #32
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
This looks really cool,

I have many ideas how this could be used.

Place it on a Motorhome and not need to run the gas genset while traveling, heck even better add it to a Diesel motorhome and not burn the LP gas for power.

300 bucks is cheap compared to the cost of a genset. 9 HP reduction in engine output seems like alot, but compared to the fuel used by a normal genset I would think it is a wash. If you run the roof AC and not the dash AC I bet the diffrence in mileage would be minimal. One less motor to maintain, and if I am reading it right you can get the DC power you need off the same unit so it could replace the Alternator???? Hight output alternators can cost 300 bucks easy.

There has to be a catch, it cannot be that good. Why have we not seen these on the big MH chassis? I would think it would be a perfect fit IMHO.
Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:12 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
There must be a catch

I was so interested in this system that I wrote AuraGen. I am attaching the response that I recieved. Please make sure to note the price:

"Thanks for your interest in the AuraGen. The AuraGen is available in two
basic models, the G5000 and the G8500 producing 5kW and 8.5kW respectively.
Please note that the AuraGen is a vehicle-integrated system, and therefore
it is designed to work in conjunction with a truck, SUV, van, or RV engine.
The AuraGen provides extremely pure sine wave output. It can readily power
sensitive electronic equipment such as computers.

The Honda models you referenced do provide clean power, however, they provide
lower power outputs of 2kW and 3kW.

The price of the AuraGen G5000 is: $3,720.00 MSRP and the G8500 is:
$5,053.00. Prices do not include installation which typically will add
another $800.00. Contact me if you have any additional questions or wish to place an order. Thanks again for your interest in the AuraGen."

Sounds like a great system, I just need to figure out how to get it for $300!
Old 10-07-2003, 12:54 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member
If you find any for $300 please buy two of them. I will pay you for the second one plus shipping!
Jerry Sullivan
'01 Limited
'01 Safari
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:20 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member
I'll tell you what, if you can find one for $300, I will pay you $500 plus shipping for it!
Old 10-07-2003, 03:14 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member
I bought both of the G5000 Auragens off of eBay. The first one I got for $2000 was an unused demo unit. The one for the Duramax I bought new from an authorized dealer trying to reduce their inventory for $300. Shipping and the Extension Cord Kits were extra.

The military was and is using many of these generators. But now, the military is using more of the new fuel cells in their mobile units. Competition has been good for us individual users. The price is starting to fall. And you will see more of these in surplus.

These units are not meant to replace your alternator and you will regret it if try to.

The mounting kit is individually tailored to each vehicle and motor combination. The new turbo diesels installations are a challenge. On the Duramax, the whole front end of the engine's hardware must be rearranged to get the Auragen to fit. Even the ECM has to be relocated and in some cases the ECM wiring harness has to be lengthened manually by piecing out. You had better know how to turn a wrench and build harnesess.

I am currently modifying the Auragen's In-cab Control to intergrate into the Silverado's blank cubby hole switch panels in the dash board. You won't be able to tell there is an Auragen installed from the inside of the cab or from the outside of the truck.

I sometimes build barns and homes in areas that do not have power. I have installed a 56 gallon Transfer Flow replacement diesel fuel tank in the Duramax truck. The high idle control via the Auragen will let me work all day with the normal tools required to take on such projects without lugging a generator and the required fuel and maintenance.

Oh, did I mention, that there is no maintenace to the Auragen itself! You maintain your truck and you have maintained the Auragen.

Any specific question, ask away. I have the manuals

Once I finish installing the one for the Duramax, I will sell the other one. I am now retired and I don't need two.

diesel is offline   Reply With Quote