Old 03-15-2003, 11:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Eric, the 20A outlet in the garage is a real 20A outlet... not a 15A... it has the sideways key in the left slot and is fed by 12 AWG house wiring to a dedicated, non-GFCI breaker in the main house panel. Lots of folks confuse 15A outlets with 20A outlets because a 20A will accept a 15A plug with a vertical left prong, like the cheater plugs.

I've kept an eye on the voltage and it runs 118VAC when the AC is running, and I don't recall it slipping below 112VAC when the compressor was starting.

Old 03-15-2003, 12:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Yes, Dick, those are the Mueller banana plugs that look like this.

MCM electronics is local to us, and I don't have to have a minimum order at will-call, so I bought the black ones (yeah I know the picture is red on the black part number page) and red ones.

Note in the picture how the tip of the plug is plastic, like the shroud, so there's no way one could get shocked on a hot one.

Another guy on RV.net tried using shrouded bananas from Pamona and said they were really hard to extract once plugged in. When I get the generators, I'm going to hose the plug parts down with WD40 and insert the center plug and outer shroud separately to see if it binds and if so, which part is causing the problem.

Everyone over on RV.net was talkin' about the Mueller plugs but no one was trying them, so I figured it had to be me. Too bad I had to order a pair of EU2000s to do that

Pulltoy went a different route. He bought the much cheaper cable for paralleling two EU1000s, cut it in half, and spliced the ends to heavier 10 AWG cable. I'm not sure what AWG the 1000 cables are, but 12 AWG is more than enough for a short run of 20A and the EU2000s put out less than that even in surge. FWIW, I've already tried 10AWG in the Muellers and it doesn't fit. 12 probably will but I haven't tried it yet.

Will keep ya'll posted on how the Mueller plugs work out.

Old 03-15-2003, 01:43 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

I'm amazed at the talent and ingenuity of members of this forum, and I just love seeing alternatives to buying expensive cables to run two honda's parallel. I have one question and I am sure that someone can give me an answer. If I go to bed with the air conditioner runnning off two generators set up parallel, and one of the generators runs out of gas or quits running before the other one, will it harm the air conditioner if just one generator is left running with the a/c turned on?

Wayne
Old 03-15-2003, 01:49 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

I'm amazed at the talent and ingenuity of members of this forum, and I just love seeing alternatives to buying expensive cables to run two honda's parallel. I have one question and I am sure that someone can give me an answer. If I go to bed with the air conditioner runnning off two generators set up parallel, and one of the generators runs out of gas or quits running before the other one, will it harm the air conditioner if just one generator is left running with the a/c turned on?

Wayne
Old 03-15-2003, 01:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The other generator isn't going to be far behind when it comes to running out of gas and a few single generator start cycles shouldn't hurt the AC. If it gets bad the remaining generator would probably go into overload and shutdown.

I'm not familiar with many places that are going to let you run generators all night anyway. For those that do, or when all day AC is required, that's why I'm interested in the external fuel setup.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The EU2000s arrived today FedEx. The first thing I did after unpacking them was try the Mueller shrouded banana plugs. Tried both black and red, center pins and shrouds separately, then assembled one of each color and tried them assembled. The Mueller plugs fit PERFECTLY and take exactly the amount of effort to insert and remove that they should (someone here tried another brand unsuccessfully). Not too hard to pull out, but in firmly enough not to accidentally come out.

I'm really impressed with the EU2000s. I wouldn't want to heft anything heavier up on the 4WD Superduty tailgate! They're as quiet as a Honda Gold Wing ;-) especially on Eco-Throttle, and both running with it off weren't bad.

Each had no problem running the Sharp 1000W cooking power (1500W rating) microwave oven with the gas refrigerator set on electric and both Fantastic Vents running on Low (the batteries were 100% charged). They revved up to a pretty high rpm, but the overload light didn't come on.

Lowes has the RV outlet, but I haven't found a box there or at HD I like, so I may stop by an electrical supply company and go through the catalogs.

Life is good!
Old 04-06-2003, 08:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Finished the parallel cord with some 12/3 cable, a metal conduit box and a weatherproof in-use cover. Here's some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	105-0575_img.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1909  
Old 04-06-2003, 08:53 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
And another:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1911  
Old 04-06-2003, 09:07 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Went all over town last Friday looking for a weather proof outlet box ( simular to the one you picture ) that a RV outlet will fit in & no one had one. Wondering where you found yours & also are you using just regular 12-3 cord. Ground connection ?
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:07 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Nice Job!

Looks a lot beefier than the big buck unit Honda sells. You're set now!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:09 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Missed the ground connection & went back to the pics, it was the first thing I noticed. Great looking set-up.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by A.E. Milliman
Went all over town last Friday looking for a weather proof outlet box ( simular to the one you picture ) that a RV outlet will fit in & no one had one. Wondering where you found yours & also are you using just regular 12-3 cord. Ground connection ?
Best,
I finally went to an electrical supply house. Got a metal conduit box with threaded plugs for the hole on top and in the back. The cords go out the two holes in the bottom.

The cover is separate with a gasket between its back and the box.

The cord is PVC 12/3. I might also mention that the Mueller plugs barely take the 12 gauge wire, and I had to drill the back part of them and the cable clamp part one drill size over (1/32" larger if I recall correctly) to get them over the individual wire insulation, and even then I had to use silicone spray on the insulation to get them to slide on it.

For now I'm just screwing the wire ends down under the ground screw. Will probably wind up with spade lugs, but would like to come up with something that didn't require a screwdriver. Maybe a wingnut or thumbscrew if I can find a metric one, or maybe back the screws out a bit and use an alligator clip.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: Nice Job!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
Looks a lot beefier than the big buck unit Honda sells. You're set now!
Thanks! One of the issues with the Honda cables was that they weren't polarized. You could plug the right (hot but not marked as such) outlet on one generator to the wire going to the hot side of the 30A outlet, and the other generators right (hot) outlet to the wire going to the common side of the 30A outlet, and the inverters were smart enough that one will swap phase and the whole thing would still work. Problem is that the 120V outlet on the generator that swapped phase now had hot on the common prong. So if you used a tool in it that tool would be hot with respect to the trailer common. This was something discovered by a guy on RV.net, so I don't take credit for it.

I like knowing the black lead is hot and goes in the right prong.

Here's a closer picture:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frong.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1912  
Old 04-06-2003, 09:49 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Ground Connection

A few ideas......

1. Put a spade or ring connector on the ground screw with a wire opening large enough to insert a banana plug.

2. Use an alligator clip on the ground wire and insert into a ring/spade connector on ground screw.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote